Thread: packin cod!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default packin cod!

The new boats front fish hole holds 4500lbs of pcod, we jig up 1000lbs an hour, fishin is good, very cold blood freezes on deck! back hole hold over 1900lbs in bags.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

What do you jig with?

Ted

Default commercial setups

12/0 circle hooks attached to 300lbs test dropper loops baited with squid and herrring pulled by a couple of automated jiggin machines
    www.kodiakcombos.com

That looks like work. What do you get per pound, and do you do it for the fishing or the money? I heard a few boats sunk in the Kodiak harbor recently due to snow.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I think its 35 to 40 maybe 50 cents a pound? I guess its for fishing? get find new hot spots! what else am I going to do? I dont have home down south or in the city, tho that would be nice, so we fish and fish till we load up r break down. Just the other night I took a bad shot of diesel from the tender and it blew all injectors! $7000 grand later we were back out!
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Once you catch your fill down there maybe you can come over to PWS and clear some out. Seem to be getting real thick in there...

PWS? what part? do they have a cannery that buys cod? pretty cold here got to be colder up there, bilge pumps are frozen if you let the boat sit, then when it snows and rains your boat could go down.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    I think its 35 to 40 maybe 50 cents a pound? I guess its for fishing? get find new hot spots! what else am I going to do? I dont have home down south or in the city, tho that would be nice, so we fish and fish till we load up r break down. Just the other night I took a bad shot of diesel from the tender and it blew all injectors! $7000 grand later we were back out!
    Didn't the fuel filter(Racor) stop water from going through?? Do you have a alarm on the Racor?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Didn't the fuel filter(Racor) stop water from going through?? Do you have a alarm on the Racor?
    water went thru racor and thru engine filters, alarm went off when the engine filter caught it, we drained and changed filters then it ran like it was sputtering, then it qiut. Alarm for racor is on order and a "go no go filter" is in place also.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

water went thru racor and thru engine filters, alarm went off when the engine filter caught it, we drained and changed filters then it ran like it was sputtering, then it qiut. Alarm for racor is on order and a "go no go filter" is in place also.
    You must of got a hell of a slug of water!! I always hook up outside alarm horns, i put them under the gunnels so i can always hear them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

You must of got a hell of a slug of water!! I always hook up outside alarm horns, i put them under the gunnels so i can always hear them.
    it was about a gallon of what loooked like tang and then 55 gallons of lemonaid. All we added to the 100gals we had in the tank is 56 gallons of tender fuel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.kodiakcombos.com

We are sportfishers so someone with commercial knowledge might be able to answer about p-cod buyers in PWS.
    We've been into them so thick from Naked to Knight its just plain frustrating when you're trying to get a couple halibut.
    We keep some of the nicer ones to eat but since we typically fry them its only once a month at most...
    I expect it has been cold since there's been extreme weather this year from Cordova to Valdez.
    Our boat was winterized mid-October so I can't speak from personal experience.

Sorry to hear about your fuel issue ~ that's a real bummer!

PWS? what part? do they have a cannery that buys cod? pretty cold here got to be colder up there, bilge pumps are frozen if you let the boat sit, then when it snows and rains your boat could go down.

Can you show a picture of the set-ups that you are using and how much weight? Do you buy the set-ups or do you tie them yourself? Can you do this all year round or are there seasons for this fishery? Are the fish bled and put on ice or does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    Can you show a picture of the set-ups that you are using and how much weight? Do you buy the set-ups or do you tie them yourself? Can you do this all year round or are there seasons for this fishery? Are the fish bled and put on ice or does it matter?
    When my son and I started jigging for the first time we use a single hand line with a single hook, then we got electra mate reels for the pen 114s, then we learned how to tie dropper loops with circle hooks. the hooks are spaced about 24inchs apart with swivels between each hook. the season is Jan 1st to May? depends on when the 16million pounds are caught, we bleed and ice.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

When my son and I started jigging for the first time we use a single hand line with a single hook, then we got electra mate reels for the pen 114s, then we learned how to tie dropper loops with circle hooks. the hooks are spaced about 24inchs apart with swivels between each hook. the season is Jan 1st to May? depends on when the 16million pounds are caught, we bleed and ice.
    Do you knot the swivels or crimp them? How far off the mainline do the dropper loops keep your hooks? How many hooks per line?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Do you knot the swivels or crimp them? How far off the mainline do the dropper loops keep your hooks? How many hooks per line?

Get a thin pair of leather gloves and tie rigs while watching a movie. Rigs are different from boat to boat, just start tieing rigs and put them in the water and see what happens.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

wow, that's crazy how many of those cod are around. Keep killing as many as you possibly can!