Thread: Back scabbard for levergun or shotgun

Default Back scabbard for levergun or shotgun

I'm curious to know if anyone around here has carried a levergun of any kind, or a shotgun for that matter, in a back scabbard. It seems like it might be a handy way to carry one fishing, standing in the stream. I came across a leather one made by Mernickle for the Puma 92 and am aware there are other styles as well. Here's a link to the one I'm talking about. Spendy though, about 250 bucks A courdura one should do the trick as well for a fraction of the cost I would think.

http://digital.turn-page.com/issue/19537/17

and a pic

http://www.legacysports.com/products...unleather.html

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

DiamondD makes them. A guy I know uses one that he can strap to a pack when carrying other things and he loves it. Says he can't shoot a handgun well enough so he relies on having a lever-gun with him. I like the idea as well except it makes me wonder about the clearance (smacking your head) when looking up or going up/down hills while climbing/hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    A courdura one should do the trick as well for a fraction of the cost I would think.
    It's not as pretty as the one you pictured, but it looks functional:

LINK
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

They catch alot when walking and sometimes the draw really sucks.When you bend your head down to go under something the stock still sticks straight out,nature of the beast. I can see the front sight hanging on every draw with the one pictured
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

On one of the small game snow machine threads last year someone posted up about using the AK sportmans for his wife's sxs shotty.

Personally I like my bear protection to be extemely quickly in hand in a noisy environment like a stream. I find the long gun scabbered does not work for me, but I know it works for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    They catch alot when walking and sometimes the draw really sucks.When you bend your head down to go under something the stock still sticks straight out,nature of the beast. I can see the front sight hanging on every draw with the one pictured
    And they are a funnel to fill up with crud, mud, snow, and rain . . . on a saddle horseback we would tie the rifle in (thatís what the saddle ring is for) and tip them angled down in the rain otherwise they become a bag of muck with your muzzle in it. I have never seen the point of swinging one over my back rather than just using a sling myself.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Amigo Will and ADfields +1 to both.

Kinda agree with the muck and mud but I got this one to tie to the 4 wheeler instead of a hard case for the Marlin/Rossi levers...I think it is easier to get out when you need it and could go on a pack too:

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/pr...otgun+Scabbard
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    On one of the small game snow machine threads last year someone posted up about using the AK sportmans for his wife's sxs shotty.
    Not my wife but she used that scabbard because a sling wasn't an option on her particular SXS. The scabbard is cumbersome on the draw and for that reason I like a standard sling as well. Just as easy for me and I can still carry a backpack or camelback.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Kinda agree with the muck and mud but I got this one to tie to the 4 wheeler instead of a hard case for the Marlin/Rossi levers...I think it is easier to get out when you need it and could go on a pack too:

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/pr...otgun+Scabbard
    Yea I use them, have all my life on horses and made a leather one (oil tan/ladigo leather) that goes on my quad with a canvas boot I can put over it for mud and rain. They are fast as drawing a six gun from a gunfighter drop rig when on a horse or an iron horse. Just donít see the advantage of having it on ďmyĒ back over just the rifle on a good sling.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

i like a scabbard when mounted, but prefer to sling my rifle the rest of the time. it makes for a quick and steady shooting position, especially from the sit ( my preference ). that back scabbard looks like an "obstruction in the barrel" waiting to happen.
    happy trails.
    jh

having never been in the situation, I can't comment on having a bear sneak up behind but it would seem that the main advantage in that unlucky circumstance would be that it would protect the back of your neck (a little) - It always seemed to me that having a firearm across your front would be preferable since you most likely would find yourself on your belly/chest or curled in a "ball" - Horse scabbards, now those I do know about and carrying on your mount as pictured "might" have you backtracking to find where the gun got pulled out along the trail .... it's one of 2 standard ways to carry while riding - Eberlestock is making some pretty popular long gun back mounts though I have not tried one

Nimrod hunting packs has an accessory gun scabbard that works well and is designed to eliminate the accumulation of debris around the gun

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    i like a scabbard when mounted, but prefer to sling my rifle the rest of the time. it makes for a quick and steady shooting position, especially from the sit ( my preference ). that back scabbard looks like an "obstruction in the barrel" waiting to happen.
    My scabard has a hood also but I carry on the other side butt forward on the dismount side keeping me hidden behind the horse all the time.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    My scabard has a hood also but I carry on the other side butt forward on the dismount side keeping me hidden behind the horse all the time.
    Me also but there are many ways to do it, lots of ways to skin a cat. Pineís off side way there is about the most comfortable and itís rigged high, tight, and right in that picture there . . . got to be tied in though (and I bet it is) or youíll hear the distinctive sound of rifle landing on the rocks (pointing your way) sooner or later. I prefer Willís way myself for the reasons he said and if your leading another critter or need to rope anything itís more out of the way on the near side than the off side.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I'm curious to know if anyone around here has carried a levergun of any kind, or a shotgun for that matter, in a back scabbard
    Snyd, I'm pretty sure Marc Taylor uses one for his Guide gun. Drop him a line and I'm sure he'll give you the lowdown.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

snyd; i see sportsmansguide ( guide gear ) has several models in their shooting flyer. they are offered in leather & cordura, at a reasonable $20.00.

check it out.www.sportsmansguide.com
    ē
    happy trails.
    jh