Thread: Teaching in Alaska

Default Teaching in Alaska

I am about to retire from my current career, and want to teach in Alaska. Anyone got any advice. Wife is already a school teacher (master teacher in California).

Here's what I have done so far.

Talked to UAF about getting a teaching certficate. Registered for the online courses I can do for next term.

Checked out the Alaska Education webiste and ATP.

We have 2 years left in Australia until we are headed north. I am going to take full use of the NGI Bill.

Just want to get a head start.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Seth View Post
    I am about to retire from my current career, and want to teach in Alaska. Anyone got any advice. Wife is already a school teacher (master teacher in California).

Here's what I have done so far.

Talked to UAF about getting a teaching certficate. Registered for the online courses I can do for next term.

Checked out the Alaska Education webiste and ATP.

We have 2 years left in Australia until we are headed north. I am going to take full use of the NGI Bill.

Just want to get a head start.
    I believe they are looking for teachers in Seldovia; check out ALEXSYs for more info.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

What kind of advice are you looking for, Seth? I'm not sure about UAF's program, but I know that a lot of UAA's Master's of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program can be done online. I did the MAT program in person through UAA before the big push for distance learning and had a pretty decent experience.

Where in the state are you hoping to end up? What subject area are you going to get your teaching endorsement in?

look into alaska transition to teaching.. and reach for a Masters.. I believe that all teachers (in Alaska) should spend a minimum of 2 years in a rural "district" . This certainly weeds out the weak, while preparing the teacher for sometimes very crappy administration.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I have my certificate and have found it EXTREMELY hard to find a job. I am high school social studies/history though.

finding the job isnt as difficult as keeping it .. if your not "tenured".. even if your certified to teach in three different states and "highly certified" in the state of Alaska...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

If you have the time to do so, one of the best ways to find a job is to substitute as often as possible. Go to a number of schools, and when there try to connect with teachers in the department where you hold a certification. Make it clear that you're doing a good job, that you're willing to actually teach when subbing (as opposed to just pushing play five times a day), and that you're engaged with both the students and curriculum. Also, get to know the administrative assistants at each school. Once you become one of the preferred subs at a few schools, let it be known that you'll be looking for a job at a specific time. Schools would much rather hire someone they know to be an effective educator rather than just taking a chance on someone based on a single interview and a few references.

Thanks guys,

Wife wants to teach on the road system or in South East. I want to teach where hunting, fishing, and trapping are workable. I am almost done with a history degree, but even if I finish it I think there are more jobs in Elementary for men. UAF said I could do the elementary program regardless what my degree was.

Eventually I'll get certified to teach German, shop and social studies.

The beauty of it is we will have my meager military retirement to pay rent, and the payments on a new sled, four-wheeler and boat. Then when the last of our own kids are in school the wife can teach, and we'll be fairly set.

As for doing my time in a rural district, I was a police officer in Barrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Seth View Post
    The beauty of it is we will have my meager military retirement to pay rent, and the payments on a new sled, four-wheeler and boat. Then when the last of our own kids are in school the wife can teach, and we'll be fairly set.
    Meager
    If your gonna make all those four payments its far from meager and ALOT more than my military retirement check.

I am not banking on it, but I have a laundry list of service related accidents that I am told by the VA rep will be a fairly substantial disability percentage, hoping on at least 50%, but the math works out to be 90%. The VA uses really shady math, 10% plus 10% is 14% and so on. So it is hard to know what will happen.

I am a lyme disease and malaria survivor, both are worth 100% disability, and quite a few other issues. Anyway we will see what happens.