Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why shoot at 100 yards???

Default Why shoot at 100 yards???

Why do we test fire our rifles at a mere 100 yards today and then brag on a 3/4 inch group?

So many magazine writers and shooters I know only shoot their rifle, even their 338 Lapua super sniper rifles, at 100 yards then begin to brag on the group. I don't get it!! Does anyone shoot for a 1 inch group at 300 yards anymore. I'm not the shooter I once was but equipment now capable of 1/4 MOA is common place and I can shoot 1/3 MOA groups. Just a few weeks ago my 11 year old nephew and my 12 year old grandson shot 1/2 inch groups with one of my AR platform 308 rifles.....from the bipod, with a rear bag, at 200 yards. It was their first such session from a bagged bipod prone position. They will both get better I'm sure.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have a rifle capable of 1" groups at 300, and would love to do it on a regular basis. In fact, I'd like to try my hand with it at 1000. The main problem for me, and I think for many others is finding a place to shoot at long range. My 5 acre parcel only allows 100 yards, and while I could shoot farther, I'd have to shoot across commonly used winter trails etc.

But... but...but 300 yards is such a looooong way to walk, Murphy!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I think the vast majority of writers are only average Joe's when it comes to long range shooting. To be a teacher or preacher you don't need to be able to do what you preach. So, lets face it at 100 yards with good optics it is simply easier to shoot better.
    I would guess that the availability of longer ranges ( like Akhloce said ), also plays a major role. Ad in high wind and many guys just don't have the time or patience to wait for that very calm day to try longer range shoot'n!
    I know I don't see nearly as sharply as years past - so I can hold on that 100 yard bull much easier... Heck I shoot a fair amount at 75 yards anymore...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    But... but...but 300 yards is such a looooong way to walk, Murphy!
    So true but I think the only exercise I get. But I thought that's why the four wheeler was invented.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I know nothing of the lower 48, but only one public range in South Central AK even has a 300 yard range. Our range tops out at 200 yards. Maybe the 100 yard magazine standard is an attempt to set a standard that most Americans can shoot at their local range.

The bigger question is why people think they can shoot animals at 500 yards and don't practice at that range

I always wondered why Rabbit Creek didn't just get a big 'ol DOT dozer and push that berm out to 500 yards. Nothing but birds and sea behind that 100 yard berm.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Personally I think the "100 yard" standard got its foothold a couple of ways...

First- with iron sighted, lever action, woods cartridge type rifles, 100 yds. was a pretty good poke and about the average useful range of the rifle on the wooded E. Coast. Where I grew up, I never saw a scope sighted rifle until I was high school. I never saw a rifle range with a 300yd berm until I was 30. I had visited a bunch of ranges and 100yds was it.

Second- the American sport is football and 100yds is a measurement almost everyone is familiar with.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

With my hunting rifle, I simply sight it in with clay pigeons at about 100 paces. I figure if I can hit he pigeon then a moose/caribou/bear doesn't stand a chance. My longest shot on any critter to date is around 175 yds that killed a 58" moose with one round from my Remington 721 no problem. I haven't found a reason to fine tune things to sub MOA at this time in my life...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post

The bigger question is why people think they can shoot animals at 500 yards and don't practice at that range
    My sentiments exactly. A fellow was at my range last fall bragging on avery nice long range rifle, well scoped with a Leupold 4.5-14 and says it's sighted in 3" high at a hunnert and he can take 'em at 500 yards with this baby. I said lets see how she shoots!! I wheeled down to the 300 yard berm and stapled up a few targets and asked him to shoot from the hunters prone position. He actually refused to even try it!! He only wanted to shoot at 100 yards but I have no 100 yard rifle target board so he left. I coveted his rifle, too. A SAKO A7 in 300 WSM. I have no doubt the rifle is up to the task but I do doubt the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    With my hunting rifle, I simply sight it in with clay pigeons at about 100 paces. I figure if I can hit he pigeon then a moose/caribou/bear doesn't stand a chance. My longest shot on any critter to date is around 175 yds that killed a 58" moose with one round from my Remington 721 no problem. I haven't found a reason to fine tune things to sub MOA at this time in my life...

All very well. That's a good practice if done from hunting positions and I'm sure if you can hit 4" clays at 100 yards you can take moose and 'boo at reasonable ranges. There are many places inside and outside of Alaska that would allow a rifleman to take game well beyond 300 yards if the skill set was well established. It has become a practice that is spoken of around the fire a great deal and many buy long range rifles to do just that. I think that if you intend to attempt these 400 to 600 yard shots on game you should be able to routinely hit 4" clays at 300 yards from field positions and predict within a couple of inches POI at 600 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Why do we test fire our rifles at a mere 100 yards today and then brag on a 3/4 inch group?

So many magazine writers and shooters I know only shoot their rifle, even their 338 Lapua super sniper rifles, at 100 yards then begin to brag on the group. I don't get it!! Does anyone shoot for a 1 inch group at 300 yards anymore. I'm not the shooter I once was but equipment now capable of 1/4 MOA is common place and I can shoot 1/3 MOA groups. Just a few weeks ago my 11 year old nephew and my 12 year old grandson shot 1/2 inch groups with one of my AR platform 308 rifles.....from the bipod, with a rear bag, at 200 yards. It was their first such session from a bagged bipod prone position. They will both get better I'm sure.
    Murphy, you musta moved your target back since I dropped by.

To be honest, I bet that rifle of yours will out shoot anything that I own. I would also be pretty sure that those Murphy taught boys can probably out shoot me.

The fact is that 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards is worthy of bragging about for some of us.

Murphy, I want to make a trip to southern Mo next summer and watch you guys shoot! I've watched the long range guys strut their stuff at Big Springs (Brownells range) but most of them are using 20lb bolt guns.

I should have thrown in the disclaimer that I refuse to take a shot over 200 yds. If I am 400 yds away, with a little work I should be able to get within 200. This is also the reason I have given up my compound bow and only hunt with my longbow. I lost about 40 yds of range, but that is part of the challenge! Before long I'll give up my fleece and will be sporting a loincloth, but that will be another thread.....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Before long I'll give up my fleece and will be sporting a loincloth, but that will be another thread.....
    I foresee a new niche market product: "Alaska strength" body camo paint; "guaranteed to cover "fish belly white"".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Murphy I agree with your line of questions and answers on this thread. I think 100 yards is common due to the availability of 100 yard rifle ranges. Ranges with more distance require lots of real estate and with that comes greater expenses.

Another angle is the poor results an average shooter would get beyond 100 yards. It would make the firearm or load appear to be of less quality than it really is. At 100 yards we don't really need to deal with wind correction to get a nice group and the novice shooter assumes a half inch group at 100 is a five inch group at 1000. I hope we all know that isn't so...

Where I shoot members can reach out to 600 yards. I frequently confirm data at 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards to build drop charts for my loads. Simply shooting through a chrony and applying the published BC to the velocity doesn't get the job done beyond 300 yards.

Reading the wind is the real voodoo, I wish I was better at estimating it. Trajectory is a piece of cake, windage is another story. In the desert there isn't much to blow around in the way of grass, leaves and trees to assist in readings. Some hot shots around here are really good at reading mirage, I'm a few years behind on that one.

I just sight in at fifty and know where it will be at a hundred and I will past shots at 75 and try to get closer.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Murphy, I think you know how I feel on this subject. I like shooting long distances but at the same time I've hunted both the Eastern PA woods and the vast Western plains. The only time in the former a shot over 5-50 yds was taken was probably in a corn field, which was very rare, but in the latter, opportunities at any distances are possible and with quarry like the pronghorn, it's good to be able to make the long shot. We sure do have the equipment available to get the job done and once you and your rig are dialed in, then the critical factor is knowing the exact range and windage.

I like high velocity flat shooting combos that give you a little forgiveness, but once you step out there past 300 yards or so, one needs good dope. I used to zero @ 300 yds with my 3400 fps loads but backed down to 200 yds because of the effects of atmospherics on the 300 yd zero and the the resulting compounding affect WAY down range. Ideally a 100 yd zero would be best for LR accuracy (Bryan Litz convinced me of this), but practically for my shooting and hunting a 200 yd zero gives me the best option on a quick point blank to 300 yd shot while not greatly compromising the LR shot.

In some previous threads, I've said that I initially validate my loads @ 200-300 yds because that's where you start to see where they are really performing.

A 1" group @ 300 yds is a sweet thing

Good thread and hope you are doing well

I think it has more to do with range availability than anything else. Nation wide (maybe even world wide) for every gun range that can be shot at or over 150 yards there must be at least 30 that are less than 150 yards to the back stop. So if you are looking for the “standard” that the most folks will have accesses to then 100 yards/meters is apt to be the trick.

Besides that if a gun will shoot 1” at 100 then you have an MOA (or there about) gun and shooter that should (in theory at least) shoot MOA at any workable range of the ammo if you take out the atmospheric conditions. So at longer ranges you are more testing the shooters “doping” skills and ammo’s consistency than the gun’s accuracy or the shooters “shooting” skills. So we are acutely testing different skill sets at the different ranges the way I see it.

I’m not much of a paper puncher, I loose interest without direct fast feedback so I shoot long as I can as often as I can because it’s fun and gives me better instant feedback. I can see what I’m doing better with the way distance amplifies the effect of mistakes at the POI. And there is a lot of fun in smacking a foot diameter rock at 1000 after walking into it with a couple rounds, or smackin same rock at 300 with a handgun . . . quick cheap thrill, makes me happy.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Interesting thread.

My long range gun is a 6 BR Shilen barrel that I built on a Savage action and it shoots better than me but beyond 300 yds most days it is all about the wind.

Years ago I was trained by the US Secret Service countersniper guys and could do OK at 600 yds and on a calm day maybe to 800 yds but that was with a 12 pound rifle and ammo that went the same place each time you shoot. 35 years ago that was a real feat to be proud of for me. We were told if you can make an 800 yd shot on the range every time then you can do half that in the field. I never had to prove it so I don't know for sure. I was never a real sniper so the guys who were in the field doing the job every day know if this is true and I have a lot of admiration for them because they are true riflemen!!!

My longest game shot is a caribou at 475 paces or in reality probably 375 air yds as the bullet flies with a .280...a lot of trips across the muskeg with meat and white sox and bugs and more bugs and more bugs. BTW the same bugs were all over me when I was making the shot too and as I recall I had to just let em land and bite away while I tried to keep the cross hairs where I wanted them.

I practice at 40 and sometimes 50 yds with my bow but in the field my longest shot is 27 yds and that was a long way on a windy day and nearly dark...almost didn't take it but I'm proud of it and the back strap tasted great.

What I'm trying to say is real life is often much more of a challenge than you'll ever find at the range and the 500 yds shots are probably closer to 300 yds in a lot of cases...the long shots do occur and for the guys who make them...job well done!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I am curious Murphy, how long was your longest shot at game on your recent African trip? And, where some of those pics! Or did I miss that post???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast