Thread: Fairbanks Gunsmiths and lack there of

Default Fairbanks Gunsmiths and lack there of

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the mix and offer a bit of advice and wisdom learned the hard way. If you have a true gunsmithing issue bypass the other JUNK offered in the area and Give DOUG a call from Dougs repair 907-456-5799 I cant speak more highly for him as he is the one currently fixing another Gunsmiths JUNK work and in the process of fixing my 400.00 three position safety in my O3A3 338/06 ack imp. that the other guy borderline destroyed. If I would have known about him first I would have gone that route well lesson learned for me
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Doug's a good gun mechanic to be sure; he's the go to guy in Fairbanks. Not sure flaming the other guy adds any value to your recommendation tho.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I will second that, also. Doug is not only a good smith he is an all around good guy as well. And he has fixed some JUNK for me also. Thanks Doug.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Lol can't stand JUNK work either doug did my muzzle break after a failed JUNK attempt that left burrs inside my barrel and completely misshaped my crown

My dealings with Doug (gunbugs) has been outstanding. Until he moves someplace else I'll continue to send Doug my "projects" in Fairbanks. If or when he moves, I'll probably send them to wherever that is...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I'm going to agree with the general theme here. Doug has done me right on several occasions and his prices are more than reasonable.

Yk

Is there any other contact information for Doug other than the phone # posted, like an email address. Or a website. I also have a mauser that needs some work.

Quote Originally Posted by 375forme View Post
    Is there any other contact information for Doug other than the phone # posted, like an email address. Or a website. I also have a mauser that needs some work.
    Send him a PM here. He's "gunbugs".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I've had some junk work done and it was good, but not great. I live in Anchorage now and am considering sending my gun work up to Doug because I've been treated so well by him.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    . Not sure flaming the other guy adds any value to your recommendation tho.
    Pfftt! he's everywhere! he's everywhere! that comment is hilarious.... RFLMAO .... (brother) ...
    .... glass is half full!!! ..... ahHahahahahahaha! phuwee! OMG!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I've had some junk work done and it was good, but not great. I live in Anchorage now and am considering sending my gun work up to Doug because I've been treated so well by him.
    Gary has tended to rub me the wrong way, more often than not, but I had some work done by him about 15 years ago, and he did an excellent job. Have been going to Doug since his time at Down Under, and have nothing but good things to say about him. He won't BS you.
    #Resist

Doug did a real good job for me on a project to complicated for any smiths in the midwest! I'll use him again in a heartbeat!

The Kid also completed a project for me that I was happy with.

I can tell you who not to send projects to in Iowa. Only guy that I ever saw drill rifle sight holes with a 10 dollar Black and Decker 3/8 electric drill. Yeah it had sights on it when he was done.......3 extra holes too! He didn't have a drill press therefore he didn't believe in a drill press.

If he moves to Alaska I'll warn you!

Gary has done good work for me also. I think the problem is, he's like Smucker's....With a name like that, he's got to be good.....real good.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy - sorry to interrupt this thread but ... could you PM me about what I should get for a sizing die for the 338 WSM - I am not getting enough neck tension with the standard Redding size die

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Gary has done good work for me also. I think the problem is, he's like Smucker's....With a name like that, he's got to be good.....real good.
    I've had an opposite eexperience, twice. Nothing to do with any names, honest.