Thread: Forum Search Tips

Default Forum Search Tips

This ones been bugging me. When I do a search of an obvious key word I'm getting poor results. For example, I've taken 3 proper noun key words of a thread title I know exists, done a search and not had the thread in the results at all. What am I doing wrong? I'm sure the search engine is better than this. Also, can I search under a single forum? For instance, if I want to search "Haul Road Caribou" and ONLY want results from the hunting forum, I don't want to sift through results on driving the haul road and seeing caribou or recipes you cooked while at caribou camp hunting the Haul Road.

Thanks guys!

What is the thread title you know exists, and what are the three words you're using?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

A thread I started called 'November to Remember: Kodiak DIY Combo'. I simply used this as a test forum to figure out whats going on. I've tried 'Kodiak DIY', 'November Remember Kodiak', etc. I just saw the 'Search Thread' option at the top of each forum page and even tried that but to no avail.

Got to admit it's a pretty crappy search engine. Sometimes I have better luck with it than others.... I couldn't find that thread to save my life, until I searched for "kodiak" +"iturner8" in the username field; then it showed up as #3.

Edit: Now having gone back and simply searched "kodiak +november" (again); it comes right up as #8, whereas it would not show up in any of my previous attempts. So, it's not just you.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/108041-November-to-Remember-DIY-Kodiak-Combo-Hunt?highlight=kodiak
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Unfortunately, vBulletin's search feature is mediocre at best. Personally speaking, when I need to find a thread I'll go to Google and simply add the term "outdoorsdirectory" to the search terms. We used to have an embedded Google search bar, but my understanding per our tech guru is that it's not possible with the newer versions of vBulletin. Perhaps I'm wrong, though. I'll send him a note and try to get the skinny on the issue.

I know that with Adsense it is possible to set up a google page that searches a particular site. I would be shocked if there wasn't a way to develop that and embed it in the forum main page.

Default just google it

Go to google.com, and type the exact phrase below without the quotes, and substitute a semicolon where I put "(semicolon)", since this site is rewriting and interpreting my post when I actually put a semicolon there:

"November to remember site(semicolon)outdoorsdirectory.com"

It really is just that easy. You can quite accurately search for anything on here (except General Discussion forum, I believe) this way.

This issue keeps coming up. Maybe the tech guru can add some plain old text to the search page suggesting this method?

Good point, I too have had MUCH better luck finding quality search results through Google. In fact, "november to remember kodiak" brings it back as the #1 result, adding outdoordirectory can only help. I guess what I'm saying is Google does a great job of pulling up this forum's threads if you have any "alaskan" key words in the search. Thanks guys, I'll stick with Google from here on. Turns out I gave too much credit to the forum search engine!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Unfortunately, vBulletin's search feature is mediocre at best. Personally speaking, when I need to find a thread I'll go to Google and simply add the term "outdoorsdirectory" to the search terms. We used to have an embedded Google search bar, but my understanding per our tech guru is that it's not possible with the newer versions of vBulletin. Perhaps I'm wrong, though. I'll send him a note and try to get the skinny on the issue.
    +1... +3 it looks like.
    Agree with Brian. Just use google and add outdoorsdirectory.

Cut and paste of your title on google: "November to Remember: Kodiak DIY Combo" and the correct link (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/108041-November-to-Remember-DIY-Kodiak-Combo-Hunt) came up #1.

Brian,
    Didn't the old AOD forum use Google embedded into the software?

Good luck.