Thread: Out of state slips

Default Out of state slips

I have this idea in my head to purchase a boat and keep it in a slip somewhere in Washington or the west coast. I could fly down for long weekends and use it year round. I actually bought a junk boat in Seattle years ago, the boat was worthless, but the slip was for a twenty-five footer in a privately owned dock area with about a dozen other slips, only $150 a month on Union Lake. Foolishly, I gave up the slip faster than I gave up the boat. Now, I see slips pop up for around $200 a month in Washington for boats twice as large.

Anyone ever entertain the idea?

Great idea but i'd always be worried something might happen to the boat when i wasn't there. Wouldn't it be better to buy a boat on a trailer and store it down there someplace and just launch it when your there. How about one of those rack storage marinas??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Myers,

When my boat was built, I did similar to what Potbuilder is suggesting for the first four months or so. I kept it on a trailer in La Conner. There was a company there that would charge me a small amount for storage of the boat. Due to my size (31') they had to use their big travel lift, so I had to may more, but it was something like $150 round trip to get into and back out of the water. I would call down on a Wednesday and warn them I was coming. They would put my boat in the travel lift slip last thing of the day on Friday. When I arrived, it would be sitting there waiting for me in the water behind a secure gate. When it was cooler, they would leave the heater on so it was warm. I would get in anywhere from 5-10pm, and just stay in the travel lift slip for the night and head out in the morning. On Sunday, I would just leave it in the travel lift slip and they would pull it first thing Monday. If I wanted, they would winterize it, wash it, change the oil, etc. for a reasonable fee. It was great. From La Conner, I could quickly get to the San Juan Islands, or head south and spend the night in Bell Harbor (downtown Seattle). There was not hardly any boat traffic down there either. Often it was 50 degrees, which is a reasonable summer day here, but no one was on the water.

I am sure there are a lot of similar services to the one I used in La Conner in the Seattle area. It was great fun, and I would like to do it again some day.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

One more thing, you need to get a boat operator license to drive a boat in WA. You can get this online, but it is something new that a boater from AK would never think to ask about.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Wow, that is some good information!

It always drives me nuts that our season is a drop in the bucket compared to theirs. I too would worry about the boat sitting in the water without a babysitter, the list is long for what could happen if a guy never checked on it for months on end.

The places you could go are endless, the fishing I assume is good, I assume shrimping is a possibility also???

Look up Dagmars Marina in Evertt WA. They lift your boat out of the water, store it on blocks, you call them, they put it in the water for you before you arrive. They have fuel available, I almost took my 34 footer there but decided to keep it in Oregon instead. I went there and looked at the facility and was ready to use it, as it looked great. Have fun.