Thread: Kenai in April?

Default Kenai in April?

Planning on heading up to the Kenai for early rainbows in April, having issues finding a place to setup camp that early. Most places I check aren't open until mid May. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks

hmm well you could probly camp along the bank maybe if you plan to stay on the river....if you do beware of the bears, theyll just be wakin up and theyll be hungry....other than that you may have to find a b&b to use as a base camp.....

Release Lake Trout

I think Sunrise is open year round isn't it? If not, maybe the Hutch B&B. Camping in April doesn't sound to fun, but maybe it's because I'm stuck up here in Kotzebue for another week.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Abel, are you hiking in or floating?

If floating there are plenty of bars, banks and beaches to camp on. If not I'd take a peek at Quartz Creek Campground and possibly Russian River Campground if the road in is open.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Along those lines, any suggestion for free camping in July? I'm going to be around the soldotna area fishing reds and floats on the kasilof. I was suggested to camp in kenai refuge but would like to limit trip time. Have a mini van and tent so not particular but a good place to hang out at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Along those lines, any suggestion for free camping in July? I'm going to be around the soldotna area fishing reds and floats on the kasilof. I was suggested to camp in kenai refuge but would like to limit trip time. Have a mini van and tent so not particular but a good place to hang out at the end of the day.
    Free camping.....On the Kenai.....In JULY?

Talk about asking guys to give up a honey hole. <grin>
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

I camp every year on the Kenai in April. As mentioned, watch for bears they can be pretty grumpy and very kooky since they just woke up and they are starving. It's the only time of year I've watched bears try to catch seagulls for dinner. Moose calving season is just starting then, so the bears are running up and down and across the river like a chicken with its head cut off.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I camp every year on the Kenai in April. As mentioned, watch for bears they can be pretty grumpy and very kooky since they just woke up and they are starving. It's the only time of year I've watched bears try to catch seagulls for dinner. Moose calving season is just starting then, so the bears are running up and down and across the river like a chicken with its head cut off.
    exactly! seen that as well and yea they wont pass up an easy meal....keep your belongings and some form of protection close at hand

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    ..keep your belongings and some form of protection close at hand

The same applies for Spenard as well.

Just sayin'....

I've looked at the state campgrounds, all that I find like the Russian say Mid May. I'm hiking in, I did line up a float trip for a day down in Mid river, but for the other 9 days I'm on foot. Was hoping someone would know if something in the low end of the Upper River/Jim's Landing area. I figure that's about a centeral location, but anywhere in the Upper are will do. I'd like the Russian, but they gonna give me crap if the ground is closed and I'm in there?

Without looking it up I am fairly certain that the Russian is open that time of year. I camped there in early May/late April last year.

Abel, check your mail box
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post

Just sayin'....
    haha very true Hippie.....

Release Lake Trout

In Kasilof, I would go to....
    1. the small campground at the end of Tustumena Lake Road where we launch our boats in the Kasilof river to access Tustumena Lake.
    2. Centennial Lake on Tustumena Lake Road.
    or click on this link for many others.
    http://kenai.fws.gov/VisitorsEducato...g/cmpchart.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I've looked at the state campgrounds, all that I find like the Russian say Mid May. I'm hiking in, I did line up a float trip for a day down in Mid river, but for the other 9 days I'm on foot. Was hoping someone would know if something in the low end of the Upper River/Jim's Landing area. I figure that's about a centeral location, but anywhere in the Upper are will do. I'd like the Russian, but they gonna give me crap if the ground is closed and I'm in there?
    heres a nice cabin thats not far from jims landing that is reasonable, its on upper ohmer lake. hopefully the link makes it. if not you know what to search for.
    $45.00 Per Night, $315.00 Per Week

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Ke...lengthOfStay=1

and heres the camping regs on the refuge...
    http://kenai.fws.gov/VisitorsEducato...ng/camping.htm

i've stayed at the upper ohmer lake cabin before...awesome deal.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...a-summer/page4

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    In Kasilof, I would go to....
    1. the small campground at the end of Tustumena Lake Road where we launch our boats in the Kasilof river to access Tustumena Lake.
    2. Centennial Lake on Tustumena Lake Road.
    or click on this link for many others.
    http://kenai.fws.gov/VisitorsEducato...g/cmpchart.htm
    At Centennial Lake its not really a campground with amenities, people just camp there. In July you might see a couple other vehicles.

At the end of Tustumena Lake road...well it used to be a free campground owned and operated by the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge at one time. But native land claims chose this area, so the campground is now native land, but the boat launch and parking area for the boat launch is still federal land. The camping is still free with no hassles, I think there is about 10 spaces with 5 of them right on the river. It has bathrooms, fire pits, water pump, a nice place. It is possible to get a place to camp here in July as long as you don't show up on the weekend. If you show up on a weekend, your best bet would be Centennial but I would still drive down and check it out first.

if you want free camping spots…..go to the fredmyer's parking lot……other wise crooked creek is also open.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post

Just sayin'....

Hey! I resemble that remark!

If your not dipnetting you can camp on the beach for free. Even during dip netting there are a few places you can get down to the beach for free and camp.

I dont know if youve already done your trip or not, but we camped at lower Skilak lake last weekend and had the choiciest of spots and had the place to ourselves too