Thread: Am I wrong in my line of thinking??

Default Am I wrong in my line of thinking??

Well, I'm planning a 2013 hunt and was looking at drop camps only. I had someone mention to me to check into float hunts, but being that we've never hunted Alaska and have limited float type experience, i deem this a bit dangerous. I have a lot of experience in running a small john boat in the rivers here setting jug and drop lines, i deem this as worthless when it comes to floating rivers in Alaska. Am I wrong to think that it would be a considerable danger to take on such a trip with limited to no experience??

While on the other hand we all have at least 10+ years under our belts in backpack hunts in wilderness areas throughout the lower 48.

Thoughts or Input??

Beast:

Check out our float hunt thread from 2010. We also had zero experience.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Beast:

Check out our float hunt thread from 2010. We also had zero experience.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-kingfisherktn
    WOW! that was one heck of a trip to say the least. I only dream of the day my 2 kids can tag along on an adventure of epic proportions like that. I've got a bit of a wait though as my oldest is only 6 and the youngest 4. They do tag along to the deer woods here. My daughter is well on her way after taking 2 bucks, a doe, and 4 hogs this season. Now to figure out a way to "talk" my wife into becoming Alaska residents, I'd love to take a grizz and Dall sheep, just don't love the outfitter costs

you definitely have me thinking about giving the float hunt a try, as it'd be a way to really see some more country while we're there and add the ability of moving camp for no more cost than a little manual labor..... seems like a fair trade off.

No problem I am from WI had the same concern when I started doing float hunts, talk with Larry Bartlett or Mike they can help you alot. The floating part isnt as bad as it sounds you just need to make good decisions, check areial photos talk with people about thier experiences, choose a slow river you will do fine... It is an awesome experience floating the wilderness areas of Alaska, where are you thinking of going? People are pretty helpful here, so good luck... Plus check out www.pristineventures.com too

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    No problem I am from WI had the same concern when I started doing float hunts, talk with Larry Bartlett or Mike they can help you alot. The floating part isnt as bad as it sounds you just need to make good decisions, check areial photos talk with people about thier experiences, choose a slow river you will do fine... It is an awesome experience floating the wilderness areas of Alaska, where are you thinking of going? People are pretty helpful here, so good luck... Plus check out www.pristineventures.com too
    looking towards Unit 23 but may be rearranging things to focus more on moose instead of caribou....we'll see what the group consensus is.

My first trip to alaska was a float hunt with the wife and we had NO experience rafting. We had a fantastic time and took two caribou. You get to see alot more of the wonders God has made for us and if an area isn't producing you just float a couple of miles and you are in new territory. Contact Mike Strahan the owner of this site. He does hunt consultations at a very reasonable rate that is more than worth the help provided. He is also the author of "Floating Hunting Alaskas Wild Rivers"

http://www.amazon.com/Float-Hunting-...7760273&sr=1-1

You will have more fun than you can imagine!!!!!!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Default Float Hunting Vs. Drop Camps

Hi Guys:

My business is outfitting Float Hunts in unit 23-Kotzebue. Let me address some of the questions in this thread.

The question of Float vs. Drop Camp is a good one. Here is what I tell my hunting groups about both,

Drop Camps:
    A drop cam has some limitations when it comes to the ability to hunt or cover large areas. Hunting on tundra is tough plain and simple. The ability to hike is limited and the ability to comfortably pack meat is very limited. Draw a 5 mile circle around your drop camp and that is about as far as you can hunt because of the nature of tundra. If caribou migrate through your 5 mile circle your odds are good but if they are 6 miles out, well it is just too far out. Caribou do not follow the same migration trails every year and sometimes they miss your hunting camp.

Float Hunts:

Most of my float hunting groups will cover 40+ river miles over 7-9 hunting days. Most groups study topo maps and pre choose 2-3 likely spotting locations and camp/hunt these spots only breaking camp 2-3 times during a hunt. Caribou and moose like to follow river drainages and float hunters have the ability to be in the right place thus they see many more animals than a drop camp. Over the years of outfitting hunting groups, both Drop Camps and Float Hunts the float hunting groups bag more and larger animals because they are seeing more animals than drop camps do.

Costs:

A float hunt is more costly. You have about 150 pounds of additional weight and the raft will cost in the range of $750 more than a drop camp. When you look at the amount of money you are spending just to fly into Kotzebue the addition $750 is really a small part of the over all cost of the hunt. When you split the cost between 3 hunters the cost is really small, less that $300 per hunter in most cases. This is small potatoes and your ability to pick up and move your camp as need is worth it. If the animals are not moving through your drop camp area, well a drop hunt can be a $7,000 camping trip.

Safety:

Safety is the first thing I consider when I begin work on setting up a clients hunting trip. We do not put hunting groups in areas/rivers that are above their ability. The rivers in Unit 23 are almost class 1-2 water with the exception of a few river miles at the head waters of the Kobuk and the Noatak Rivers. The only river that has difficult water is one tricky curve on the Kug and it is a small class II riff. Really basic rafting up here guys.

Well I hope this helps out. Give me a call or drop me a line if you have questions. We are limiting our bookings this year to 6 hunting groups so let me know if we can assist you.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Float hunting in Unit 23
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Family Float Trips, King Salmon Trips
    Gakona, Alaska
    907-259-4290

As a non res, you will need a draw permit to hunt moose in 23.
    Choose the area in Alaska you want to hunt. Choose a transporter you want to do biz with.
    Speak to that transporter about costs, success, float difficulty, etc in that area.
    Apply for any permits you need when application period opens.
    Decide which type of hunt you want to do.
    Good luck.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I'm also planning a 2013 float for moose with bro in law out of Bethal. We do archery only and from everything and everybody I've talked to a float trip is the way to go. Rivers aren't "wild and crazy", very workable with any boating or canoeing experiance, sound like you will do great.