Thread: POW spring black bear help

Default POW spring black bear help

Going to POW in May for black bear and will be hunting out of Coffman Cove. Does anyone know this area and can give me some suggestions on where to start hunting. I will have access to a boat and 4x4 Thanks

No secret to hunting anywhere in PWS. Just cruise slowly and glass, glass, and glass again. Depending on the snow levels you will find bears from the beaches to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    No secret to hunting anywhere in PWS. Just cruise slowly and glass, glass, and glass again. Depending on the snow levels you will find bears from the beaches to the top.
    OP was looking for info on Prince of Wales Is. They do both begin with a "P" though.

The advice is still valid for POW. Your best bet is going to be that boat. Early morning and late evening. Stay out as late as you can, even if you have to camp out on some beach. Too many give up too get back to wherever they are staying and miss the best time, which can be the last little bit before real dark sets in. If you're not familiar with tides you will be after beaching the boat a time or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ibohnt View Post
    The advice is still valid for POW. Your best bet is going to be that boat. Early morning and late evening. Stay out as late as you can, even if you have to camp out on some beach. Too many give up too get back to wherever they are staying and miss the best time, which can be the last little bit before real dark sets in. If you're not familiar with tides you will be after beaching the boat a time or two.
    I agree with all of the comments especially the "glass,glass and glass some more" comments. I will add one trick that has worked well for me. If you are finding good grass flats (even small ones) get out of your boat, preferably mid-day and look for signs. If the bears are hitting a flat you will find lots of fresh sign. Find that, than sit it for a couple of evenings and you will improve your chances of success!

Thanks for the info

Take good rain gear, the boat would probably be your best bet

Contact Gooch on this website or through his website www.coffmancoveak.com. He may have some info for you.

I have hunted POW several times. I took a vehicle over and did the clear cuts due to the lack of a boat rental. I passed on my bears and ended up walking and stalking the beaches. I could have put both of my bears on the that trip in the books, green they were 21 9/16 and 21 11/16's. I was warned about the rock on the roads would tear up my tires, but suffered one flat in Coffman Cove of all places. Next trip (be-friended a local) left the truck behind and hunted just offshore along the western side with great success. I am very thankful for my new friend Ed who new tide tables because you can sink a boat in a heartbeat. I went both trips on the 3rd week of April, I hope this helps. To echo another wise hunter, this is not the place for Goretex, I used Helley Hansen.