Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22 for the small stuff

IMG_0361.jpgthis was shot at 105 yards with my CZ American..if you buy one, CZ puts a brown bore protect ant in their rifles that is a bear to get out..about 10 patches and lots of flushing with WD-40 and solvent until you get a clean patch...That's a 1 inch circle
    Last edited by Oneriver; 02-02-2012 at 08:44. Reason: left out info

I had a 10/22 years back. Dad traded off a couple of old pumps for it for a Christmas present for me. That would have been around 1972 or so. The older I got, the more I wished I had those 2 old pump .22. Can't remember what they were but they'd be cool to have. The Ruger was one of many guns that got stolen, never bothered to replace it. No real reason, just didn't.
    I do have a little bolt action tube fed I take out now and then that shoots well enough. I think it is a Remington. Also have an Ithaca lever .22. Shoots good, just not where I want.
    I found a Remington Nylon 77 Apache down here and grabbed it. It is the green one built for K-mart. If I don't resell it, I'll bring it home and try it out. Hmm, maybe I'll take it out for cottontails this weekend. I've got 2 days off from treatment, might as well go someplace wild.
    I've been looking for a good .22mag, but they aren't cheap here. Almost traded the Apache and a wad of cash for a 9422 but didn't. I think I'd like that Winchester, but for what I want to do, a bolt is likely better.
    ARR

I really like the 10-22 but my Marlin tube with a 4X Leupy was a more accurate rifle (I gave it along with 2 others to some kids I was teaching to shoot). Just got another 10-22T, and will be getting a Marlin tube soon, in addition to my favorite hunting .22 rifle I ever carried- the Remington 572 BDL pump. It may not be as pretty or as accurate but I just really liked hunting with it and I am getting 'the bug' for .22's again.

That 572 is a fine little gun and so is it's brother the 552 semi-auto. I have one of each with Williams peeps and they are pretty accurate and just keep on going and going.

Most any of the older (50+) Remington and Winchester guns were well made and they shot good for the most part. A friend of mine just bought a Win 67A at a gun show and it is a tack driver. Prices on most of the older .22's are going up to the point of being more expensive than a new modern counterpart...but then..they are better made and in most cases they have walnut stock instead of plastic or birch. The old classic 22's are really worth keeping if you have one.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I noticed in this thread that the prospect of a lever action was completely bypassed. I'm not too enthused with rifles that have protruding magazines because I like to carry at the balance point of the gun. I did my fair share of hunting with rimfires that have protruding magazines. I've also seen many jams from multiple people using the 10/22. The lever guns are very reliable and carry at the balance point.

I like the Winchester 94 22 mag, and the marlin 22 mag lever guns, but they are no longer made and are a bit pricey used. I ended up getting a Henry lever some time ago, and I think I'm set for life. Rifle only weigh 5.5lbs, I keep it loaded with 40 grain total metal jacket(TMJ) for game, and 50 grain Federal Hollowpoints for personal defense. It has fourteen shot capacity. With this rifle I've shot Beaver, Grouse, Rabbits, and ptarmigan. The TMJ went all the way through the skull of a beaver(food in the early summer) at about 75 yds, and it doesnt damage small game. It leaves a clean hole and always exits.

The little Taurus pistol is a 22 magnum which I also keep loaded with TMJ's in the field and 50 grain game shock hollow points in the house. It only weighs 27oz. and has an 8 shot cylinder. In double action, I can put all 8 shots into a man sized target in about 3 seconds. I haven't shot anything with it but it saved my butt from getting stomped into the ground by a p'd-off bull moose in October. No malfunctions to speak of and I've shot about 600 rds. through it with only 2 cleanings so far. Blueing is top notch.

I think I paid about $400 for the rifle, $150 for the Burris 2-7 power compact scope (only one that would clear my open sights), and $350 for the pistol. I can't afford the awful price of the Smith n Wesson 22 mags, and I'm really happy with this little Taurus. It's a great trail pistol for small game and home defense.

I used to own a 7600 police tactical carbine (308 Win) and all stainless Sig Saur 45 Acp for home defense but got rid of both for the 22 magnum. I also had a Marlin 17 HMR bolt rifle and a Ruger Single Six 17 HMR, but got rid of both of those too. Cleaned out the guns I don't use and now have two guns with a dual purpose. I've always been a huge fan of the 22 magnum anyways.

Attached Images Attached Images

matnaggewinu

Hey Mainer!!

I'm with you on the 22 Mag...what a great round!! I have the same Taurus only in Stainless and it shoots better than I can out to 30 or 40 yds from a rest. My Single Six in 22 mag is an old one I bought when I live in AZ in the early 70's and it has taken a bunch of jack rabbits and a few coyotes too. I just got a CZ in 22 mag with a 4x Leupold and it shoots almost as good as the 22 LR, just farther. A friend of mine has a pristine 9422mag that I'd love to have but he won't sell it.

Sorry to hear you got rid of your 7600...I have an old 760 in .30-06 and it is a fine gun and very accurate with the free floating barrel but the old steel butt plate will kick your butt after awhile. I know, the older I get the more I whine about recoil. I think that is why God created the 6.5x55!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Hmmmmmmmmm.........been through ALOT, at least a dozen, ruger 10/22's, some great , some very sukky. Wore them all out between the 9 of us, over the years.
    The ones that have survived it all are the Marlin bolt action single shot "Youth" .22's , and are the most carried, being lightest and dead on. The Romainian M-69's 5 shot bolt actions have proved worth their weight in gold, time and again. Rock solid with a hooded front sight and the rear a 3 leaf express sight, milled , unlike the ever breaking folding Williams rear sights on Rugers.....

With one shot accuracy, a semi need not apply, unless its a Bunch of Ptarmigan or a herd of swimming Caribou. I like the pumps .22mag and .22lr to death, the levers as well, except having a steel loop in winter on your hands aint so hot.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Stranger,

You are right about the Romainian trainers...very tough guns!!

My kids learned on the Marlin 15Y "Little Buckaroo" that I threaded for a suppressor. I love the feature that you can just drop the round into the loading port and push the bolt forward...works great in the dark! It is 39" long with the suppressor and 33" without and less than 5 lbs...what a great little gun that is accurate enough that a single shot is all you need. I have a Williams peep on mine and I was just shooting 3" swinging targets at 50 yds and hit 8 out of 10 from a wood pile rest....great little gun!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12