Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 for the small stuff

Default 22 for the small stuff

I am thinking of getting a new 22 rifle . I leaning toward a modified ruger 10/22 or a marlin 981T and a CZ 452 american. (I know they are apples and oranges but thats my mind at work). Mostly used for tarmy, grouse and rabbits. Give me any opinions, I am all ears.

Thanks

I set up a stainless 10/22 with a folding stock and a 4x Redfield and it is a joy to carry or tied to a pack. Accuracy is fine for what you want. Money is the only limit on what you can do with the 10/22 but you will have more in a 10/22 in the long run than you will in a CZ to get them to shoot the same unless you can pick up a good barrel cheap.

I am a real supporter of CZ 452's and BRNO's of any type. You can't beat the accuracy and they are quality guns. I just got a 455 in 22mag and that thing is every bit as nice as the 452's and shoots great too.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have owned all three of the rifles you asked about.

The Ruger 10/22 had the poorest accuracy of those you mentioned by far. I never saw any need in spending the amount of money necessary to get the Ruger to shoot as well as the Marlin and the CZ so I sold it. That was my first and last Ruger 10/22. Also it is an auto load rifle and the other two are bolt action rifles. Bolt actions are almost always more reliable than auto feed rifles.

The Marlin 981 T is a great rifle. Since it has a tube feed, it will shoot 22 short, long, and long rifle. The synthetic stock is good but I could never figure out why Marlin would use the synthetic stock and a blued receiver and barrel instead of stainless. Very accurate and light to carry. It is the cheapest priced of the three, about half the price of the CZ and about $100 less than the Ruger.

My CZ 452 is the trainer model with a 24 inch barrel and the humpback stock. The stock is strange looking but fits nicely and mounts quickly. I have a good friend with the American stocked CZ 452 and both shoot equally well. I think his American stocked rifle looks better than mine. The CZ trigger that came in the rifle would be rated from bad to awful. I installed a Yo Dave trigger kit and now it is great with no creep and a nice break. It was well worth the $20 or $25. Also the CZ comes with a 5 shot clip. You will probably need at least one back up clip. I would recommend that you get a 10 shot clip and use the 5 shot as back up.

No recommendation from me to help you. Just my experience in owning all three and how I felt about them.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Default Bolt

My preference would lead me to a bolt over an autoloader in every scenario I can imagine. I know that I always chose to carry my little Marlin over the 10/22s with banana clips many of my friends had growing up. It might not even be a consideration, but if young ones are going to be using it I feel the bolt actions teach a kid to shoot rather than simply pulling the trigger a bunch.

My $0.02.
    Go Big Red!

I own all three, with my 10/22 tricked out to the accuracy max.

Gotta say I love using them all, and it boils down to my mood at the time I head out the door.

The most satisfying for me though, is the CZ American. It "feels" more like a CF bolt gun and serves well for offhand practice. One thing I will say though- the 5 rd mag that comes with it is too short. I enjoy shooting it so much, it seems like I spend way too much time filling mags. I end up using the 10 RD mags a lot more at the range for that reason. But they stick out the bottom in the wrong place for balance on hunts, so I use the flush 5 on hunts.

By the time I buy a new ruger 10/22 for $200- $250 and then a new brl, trigger group and stock I might have $700 or more in it. I could get the 981T and the CZ and still have $ left for a nice scope. (Maybe a rimfire 3x9 AO leupold)
    I think I will do just that. The 981T will be great as a truck gun that I don't have to worry about a ding or scratch, and the CZ as a hunting, snowshoeing, hiking, target shooter.

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by 375forme View Post
    By the time I buy a new ruger 10/22 for $200- $250 and then a new brl, trigger group and stock I might have $700 or more in it. I could get the 981T and the CZ and still have $ left for a nice scope. (Maybe a rimfire 3x9 AO leupold)
    I think I will do just that. The 981T will be great as a truck gun that I don't have to worry about a ding or scratch, and the CZ as a hunting, snowshoeing, hiking, target shooter.

Thanks for the help
    I think you made a good decision. I recently acquired a 981T for small game and I really like it...

I have the 10-22...don't shoot it much any more...several years ago I bought 2 CZ's and never looked back....the CZ's are tack drivers..go to rimfirecentral.com and scroll down to the CZ site, very interesting...I put a trigger kit and a few after market springs in both of mine, only a few bucks...they shoot excellent....oh yeah I put a Leopold 3x9 AO on one , the .22 mag and a Leopold .22 rim fire scope on the ..other
    Last edited by Oneriver; 01-17-2012 at 08:10. Reason: left something out

I have owned all the guns you asked about. Marlin great out of the box and cheapest gun you can buy from this list. 10/22 great gun you can make into anything you want. CZ 452 don't think it was worth the money, pretty gun but shot no better than my browning or Ruger 77 and they where not that great for the money. Now what do I own now? 10/22 heavy barrel Volquartsen carbon fiber, all trigger partsTitanium, Fagen stock 3x9 tasco 22 scope.Gun weighs maybe 3lbs or less you can carry it all day and it never misses. I still have a Marlin 22 WMR I have owned this gun since the late 70's again it never misses. After trying most every high buck 22 sporting rifle I stopped buying them once I got a Winchester model 52b it's the newer version made in Japan in the 90's it is the best most accurate 22 I have ever bought hands down. Problem is it's to pretty to carry in the woods

my marlin 60e will out shoot a 10/22, but the accessories for the ruger make it a good choice. i watched a jerry michalik(sp?) shoot a smith and wesson mp 15-22 and make 1 moa free hand shots out of the box. i am leaning toward trying it out.

I have a Ruger SR-22 that I won in a raffle last year that I paired with a fixed 4x scope. It's not a bad little rifle, has AR styling, uses 10/22 magazines, and is fairly accurate. The plan is to use it for the little critters, just haven't gotten it out yet.

Scooter

I've also set my son up with a good shooting little 22. Got it for him when he was 5, now he's 9. It's a Keystone Chipmunk, and now it has the 3-9x variable scope and sling. He's probably only got a year or so left before he outgrows it, but it made the perfect beginner gun for him and now the kid can shoot bullseyes out to about 25yds all day.

For small game, I'd go with the savage bolt action, bull barrel, in 17 hmr

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    I love my .17HMR but it is not the best for small game that was mentioned before. If you miss the neck a tad bit it will blow a good size hole in a bunny, been there, done that. I love it but you have to be sure your bullet will not get near any meat you want to save.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I love my .17HMR but it is not the best for small game that was mentioned before. If you miss the neck a tad bit it will blow a good size hole in a bunny, been there, done that. I love it but you have to be sure your bullet will not get near any meat you want to save.
    Yes, the varmint tips do open up plenty. With a good rest ... shoots a pretty nice group out to 100 yards and a bit beyond.

As a youth, we had a tube fed marlin with open sights. We shot it a lot (1000's of rounds), it performed wonderfully, with the open sights. Eventually the feed and extractor wore out and needed replacement. Like I said ... we shot it alot.

For close up work... I generally prefer a 410, but a bolt action savage 22 rimfire would also do quite well. I have several CZ big game rifles .... but when at the store IME, the savage is a good value for such adventure.

Ever consider the .17 Mach 2? Not sure which model it is, but I have a Marlin with a Bushnell 4x-12x scope mounted on it and it is deadly accurate.

Just to push the CZ button again...I have a 452 in .17M2 and it shoots like a laser out to 75 yds or so. I use a suppressor on mine...you still get the supersonic crack but it holds down the muzzle pop. It is not as destructive as the 17HMR and not as expensive either. A head shot is a head shot pretty much no matter what you use, but the ease of hitting tree rat heads at 75+ yds makes it a fine choice. The CZ shoots under 3/4" at 75 yds so if I do my part, I never miss. It kinda removes the large portion of the head and doesn't touch anything else...backstrap is intact and you can bbq the ribs and hams if you want...I don't bother with the belly meat for bacon.

Seriously, the 17M2 is a fine small game round and I've killed my share of skunks, coons, possoms and fox too with the same head shots..,..just wait for them to sit still and pop em in the head....done!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I'm going to go against the general consensus and say get a 10/22. I firmly believe that everyone should own at least one 10/22. I have had three of them and all would easily shoot minute of rabbit head out to 50 yards. My current and favorite is a 10/22 compact with short stock and 16" barrel. It is very accurate and combined with a leupold 2-7 rimfire scope makes a handy, compact little rifle that is perfect for shooting in the tight cover while rabbit hunting.

I have never seen a 10/22 that wouldn't work reliably. They require very little maintenance to keep them working. There is a reason why the ruger 10/22 is the most popular 22lr out there. There is easily a thousand 10/22s out there for every CZ 452. The ruger trigger can be cleaned up very easily with a few inexpensive after market parts and are infinitely customizable.

Bear,

Gotta agree on the number of 10/22's out there and I think I have 10 or 12 around here somewhere. I build custom 10/22 SBR's and they are pretty good guns. I use a 18" with a folder on my 4 wheeler and dirt bikes with a little Burris 4x and it has killed a fair number of critters.

Here's a shot of a couple I use for demo guns...the wood stock is an 8" barrel and the folder is a 5" with a suppressor. With the suppressor removed and the stock folded it fits nicely in a standard brief case or can be carried in a holster made for a scoped contender. The trigger group is out because the trigger return spring broke.

They will both shoot inside an 1 1/2" at 50 yds with subsonic ammo and function pretty well suppressed and as good as any other 10/22 without the can. You can get better performance with spring changes with/without the can. 10/22's seem to have their own mind as to whether they work with a suppressor or not. Some do real well and others are a PIA. Neat little guns but they are not as good as a CZ.

I would try to find an older bolt gun. Rem, Savage, Win, whatever or spend the money for the CZ or a target Savage. My idea is to get an accurate rifle without breaking the bank. A Rem 513T or Win 52 would be ideal. I have only had one 10/22 and that one soured me on 10/22s. After trying 5 or 6 types of ammo and getting 2" 25yd groups I gave up and got rid ot it. My Ruger MKI T pistol will shoot 1 1/2" at 50yds. I have a 1919 Savage 22 that will shoot 1/2" at 50yds. My 10/22 was the least accurate, in stock form, 22 rifle I have ever shot. I'm not sure it would hold minute of rabbit at 50yds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast