Thread: Ak Hunting News: Internet Hunting Would be Banned Under Proposed Alaska Law

Arrow Ak Hunting News: Internet Hunting Would be Banned Under Proposed Alaska Law

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

"Internet hunting," the practice of taking game animals using remotely controlled guns and cameras connected to the "hunter" via the Internet would be banned under a law proposed recently by an Alaska lawmaker, the Anchorage Daily News reports.

The idea started in Texas, where the practice was banned no long after. In Alaska, Rep. Bob Buch (D-Anchorage) would put a stop to it before it starts here.

"At first I thought Internet hunting must be a joke, but unfortunately, it's not," Buch said in the ADN article. "We have some of the best, big game in the world. We need to ban this practice before it hits Alaska."

Read the entire article in the Anchorage Daily News >>>

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to

Eagle River, AK

Default Internet Hunting

Since I'm assuming that this post is meant to gather the opinions of hunters on the site, I'll go ahead and throw mine out there. I have to say that I understand the reasoning behind providing a way for disabled hunters to experience hunting so long as there is no other way for them to do it. However, I think the numerous flaws in an otherwise good idea far outweigh the benefits.

First, I think that the concept of internet hunting would promote laziness. There are many of us out there who would never settle for anything less than a true outdoor experience, but there are also plenty of people out there who want some venison or a zebra skin rug and, instead of booking a hunt and taking it the right way, would be willing to log onto the internet, pay $500 and have it show up at their doorstep. Worse yet, they'd still call themselves hunters.

Second is the safety issue. In order to keep the occasional innocent passer-by from being shot by a remote controlled gun on a swivel. If this were to be avoided, the hunting area would have to be strictly regulated, which means plenty of fences to keep people out. While I'm a fan of hunting fenced properties so long as there is plenty of room for the game to roam without overpopulation, I think the requirement for the regulation of an "internet hunting area" would quickly lead to canned hunts to ensure client success.

The third reason I'm against internet hunting in Alaska is more of an internet security isssue. I can cite a particular case where one of the main U.S. military internet hubs in San Antonio, TX was plagued by a young, teen-age boy from Europe who was hacking into the system using codes that the military technicians didn't even know existed. Hackers are everywhere and are only becoming more powerful as our reliance on the internet increases. Imagine the risk if a 13-year-old computer geek on a power trip hacked into the control system for remote-operated, high-powered rifles. Animals, and possibly even people and/or vehicles, would be shot indiscriminantly.

The final reason is that, as a hunter, I appreciate the feeling of reaching back to people like Teddy Roosevelt in the early 1900s when long safaris tramped off into the unknown seeking adventure. That old-fashioned part of me cringes when I hear of someone, who likely has no knowledge of proper game management or trophy selection, controlling a rifle with a computer mouse in a real life/death situation.

I appreciate the fact that Mr. Buch is trying to outlaw internet hunting before it hits Alaska just as I am glad that it has been outlawed in my home state of Texas.

Eagle River, Alaska, United States

Default My Opinion

I have been thinking this over hard since I first heard about it.
    Whats going on here is in no way, shape or form, any type of hunting and should never be associated with hunting at all.
    However this will never happen as it involves a weapon and the killing of an animal and that in itself will have most of the uninformed public believing it is hunting.
    Do I think it is wrong....Yes and No.
    I think it hurts hunting so much that it has to be wrong.
    However in it's basic form the of killing an animal remotely I don't have a problem with. Cow's, Poultry and all the other animals we consume are dispatched remotely or with the touch of a button. Since I like a good steak on occasion and enjoy leather shoes, I don't have a problem with it.
    If the guy at the slaughter house wants to call himself a hunter so be it.
    If a guy wants to go out to an enclosure and shoot an animal for his personal consumption or use, again it does not bother me,calling himself a hunter would.
    There are to many people out there waiting to jump on the chance to attack hunting, I just don't think this internet thing is any good as they most assurdly will associated with hunting.

Eagle River, AK

Default Hunting vs. Slaughter House

I think it's exactly our willingness and ability to go out and use our work ethic and skill to get close to that wild animal of our choice and kill it that makes us hunters. I've seen the videos of the cows in the slaughter house. Go to PETA's website. (Sometimes you have to study your enemy.) They find the most gruesome ones and post them for their supporters to see, and then they tell them that's what we're doing. I'm not trying to absolve myself of guilt, because I, too, love a good steak. The difference is that any one of us could go in there and push the button. Not many of those slaughter house button operators could go into the wild and do what we do.

Default AF&G Reg, pg 15

You may not take game by:

-using a machine gun, set gun, or shotgun larger than 10 gauge.

- using a pit, fire, artificial light, laser sight, electronically-enhanced night vision scope, radio communication, cellular or satellite telephone, artificial salt lick, explosive, expanding gas arrow, bomb, smike, or chemical,...

None of these apply?

SE Mich.

I think if a disabled person wants to shoot someones livestock buy what ever means. I guessing the one in Texas was a high fence area, with animals the owner bought or raised. I got no problem . His land, his critters, his remote gun. As far as PITA, no matter how you try to apease them, untill all hunting is stopped, your not going to.
    But thats just me.

I would knock over any gun rigged up to a camera I saw anyway.

Default maybe not as originally intended!

I remember several years ago reading an article where the first internet controlled hunt was introduced. It gave a Quadriplegic the opportunity to harvest a doe whitetail. The intent I am sure was to give this person the chance to participate in their own way, to feel some of the satisfaction that most hunters feel when they harvest an animal. Staying within these parameters I think this was a good (not great) program. Most of us are healthy enough to get around in the wood and enjoy hunting and harvesting our own food. Something I sure many of us take for granted. Think for a moment, what if anyone of us where in a terrible accident tommorrow and lost our mobility. Some of us have been hunting all our lives. Would we just toss our arms up and give up hunting entirely? Or would we find ways to be able to contine to hunt within the parameters of the law. Remember there are states that permit other less handicapped persons the ability to use crossbows in areas otherwise restricted to bow only. What about the youth moose hunting here in Alaska prior to regular opening season? These programs is for the most part has not been tainted by individuals that have taken advantage of them and given them a bad name.
    Unfortunately there have probably been those individuals that have taken advantage of this new internet hunting. What was originally designed to give someone a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, has been taken over by wealth, lazy, *#!^, that wants to get his record book buck from his computer.
    My personal opinion, it shouldn't be banned it should be regulated!

I am as pro-hunting as you will find, but I cannot agree with this internet hunting, and I support banning it here. Being disabled is no excuse to do something as "unethical" as this.

My brother-in-law was one of the most avid hunters I knew, nearly as passionate as me about it. He was in a terrible accident nearly 20 years ago and got paralized from the neck down. There is no way he would have considered doing such a thing as "hunting" using the internet. He died a couple of years ago and his dying wish was to be able to go deer and quail hunting one last time. I used to take him with me when I went to visit to walk the trails, and he loved being in the outdoors, but it tore him up to be unable to hunt. He saw a news article about this internet "opportunity" for guy's like him, and he was revolted to say the least. As he said, what pleasure is it to play a video game where the end result is a wounded or dead animal that is only a picture on a screen? A big part of the thrill of the hunt is the interaction and connection with the animals you hunt.

As far as PETA goes, to helll with those freaks. But, the best part of their website is the stripping activist. Just turn down the sound so you don't have to hear her garbage diatribe.......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???