Thread: 10mm Hunting Ammo

Default 10mm Hunting Ammo

I'm thinking about tinkering with my Glock 20; adding a 6" barrel, new spring, new trigger and taking out hunting. I have some Double Tap hardcast ammo but was wondering if this is the best route. Are there any other good ammo options to think about?

DT hard cast 200g or bigger is about as good as it gets off the rack. You definitely want more spring with full tilt 10mm and the mass of a long slide to go with the barrel will also help keep things in one piece longer.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'm using a 22 pound on my 6" with standard slide. It functions fine and since I don't shoot hundreds of rounds of hot loads, that should last longer than me. I'm against the 3.5lb trigger on a hunting gun....just buff and polish the 5lb and it will serve you well in the field.

If you reload there are many options but nothing wrong with DTHC 200 gr. I'm not sure you buy much by going heavier since the 10mm has a limited powder capacity with the longer bullets due to seating depth. Hot 180 grain seem to be easier to hit with than the heavier rounds but then I have Bomar target sights on my G21 with a 10mm 6" barrel that I use to hunt with. I cut my G20 down to G29 grip length for easier carry so it is not my hunting gun anymore.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

22 pound in my G21 with a standard G20.pipe in it and it works fine but would be better as a long slide. I think I have a 23 pound in my EAA 10mm Match. I’d like the 6” with a long slide on my Glocks some day but I just blew a bunch of money on another EAA so not just yet.

Here is where my cash went this month:
    I have the EAA 10mm Match I love but no rail on it (don’t even know why I want a rail for, I just do) and I wanted a Match in 45. Sold a plain Witness in 45 to get a Match 45 and ended up getting a smokin deal yesterday on another 10mm Match with the rail. So I ordered a long slide “Match type upper” 45 conversion for that one. Love the 10mm EAA Match, can’t pass on a deal even if it do make me spend more to get my 45 I wanted in the end . . . it’ll be my 10/45 Match I guess.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

How many round through on the heavy EAA spring? I have had some feeding issues since installing one on mine but only have a few round through it. I need to get set up to reload for it so I can start shooting it a lot more and actually break it in. The light spring was definitely weak for the heavy ammo but right now I feel like the 23lb may have gone to far the other way.

The 200 grain XTP from Double Tap would make a fine hunting round. I like the hardcast but have more felt recoil.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Oh maybe 5-600 on that spring. At first it wasn’t opening far enough except with way hot stuff so I lock it open all the time to help compress it some. Now I think it’s about right for what I shoot and have started shutting it but won’t cycle light stuff like FBI/40S&W type loads still. Fine with me as I load the same hot (DT level) 200g load for everything 10mm, any other is ammo is just the fun way of making empty brass to load. Is your EAA the long 5-¾” upper like the Match or the standard Witness 4-½” I think they are?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona