Thread: Winter Bibs

Default Winter Bibs

Hi I'm looking for a warm set of winter bibs. I was leaning toward wiggy's but someone told me about northern outfitter's, can anyone say which is better? I want warmth as well as durability. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dylanbrink View Post
    Hi I'm looking for a warm set of winter bibs. I was leaning toward wiggy's but someone told me about northern outfitter's, can anyone say which is better? I want warmth as well as durability. Thanks
    Carhartt arctic bibs are my choice....had em 4 years, they still in good shape, though need new legging zippers....... They are heavy though and not ideal for strenuous activity

Release Lake Trout

I've got Carhartt extreme bibs and while they're durable and warm, they're not *that* warm, but layering well improves them a lot. Don't think I'd go with the arctics because if you get wet in them you're kind of screwed. A bunch of dog people up here swear by Northern Outfitters. I've got a pair of Apocalypse Design bibs and they're extremely warm.

If you go with Northern Outfitters, the better option IMO is the "Mountain bibs" not the "musher bibs". The N.O. bibs that most of the mushers wear is WAYYYY to hot and bulky for everyday use IMO. I have the mountain bibs and I love them. Even though they are the lighter version, I wear them with nothing but long underwear under them.

I even went ahead and bought another pair because we all know that any great product will stop being made shortly after you discover it...

Default Has anybody else tried Refrigiwear?

I have some Refrigiwear bibs and really like them. They are suppose to be wind proof and water "repellent". The outer layer seems about as tough as Carharts. I'm happy with mine!

You should let us know what you will be using them for. Different clothing for different uses.

I went thru the walls and refridgiwear faze a long time ago. Not going back. Only use my carhart extremes for work with layering under them for that days temps. Finally grew out of the sled manufacturers clothing faze. Have used the N.O. jacket and bibs a couple times. Very nice and warm. Bulky and won't be active in it much. Right now I am using a Classic Alaska down jacket from big rays and Alaskan Outfitters down bibs from 6th avenue. So far so good. Just came back from another winter hunt down to -40 and stayed plenty comfortable. Just noticed the crotch inside the bibs split a little. Easy fix and not concerned with durability since I can be fairly active in them and this was no doubt a fault of how I use/abuse them.

I've been happy enough with Walls. They're thin enough to reduce bulkiness yet still keep you warm. Layering under them is a good idea if it's extremly cold or you're on an extended outing.
    Now what ?

Thanks for all the input guys, I went with a set from wiggy's. I'm going to nunivak in February and usually do a winter hunt near bethel. Ill report how they were when I return.

Sounds great. I posted about my Outaware bibs in another thread. They are essentially just shells and they require a lot of layers under them to work at -40F, but they did work with polypros, fleece and a pair of puffy pants under them at those temps. The nice thing about roomy shell type bibs is that you can wear them at a greater temp range than a heavily insulated pair of bibs. I will look into the Wiggy bibs for a cold weather only pair.

I got out to bethel on saturday and were able to try out my new wiggy's bibs. I wore long underwear and fleece pants under them. The temp was -12 and the wind was 25-35 knots. the bibs performed excellent a we were able to find some caribou. Had a good time considering the wind.