Thread: New 150hp Suzuki

Question New 150hp Suzuki

Is anyone out there running one of the new 150hp Suzuki's that they would like to comment on - pro or con? I am getting one put on my SeaRunner later this month & just wanted to see what people thought of them.

Thanks

I believe that Brooke( Epic charters out of Whittier) ran a pair of them on his second boat last season. You might give him a shout. http://www.epicchartersalaska.com/index.htm
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

They have the same block at their 175, right? What's the price difference between the 150 and 175?

When they were first introduced, I thought the 'Zuki 175 (at 466 pounds) would be ideal for the 22-ft SeaRunner I had at the time. They only weigh about 60 pounds more than the Yamaha 115, and offered 60 more ponies and a lower gear ratio in the lower unit for swinging a 16" prop. What's not to like?

I haven't run the new 150 zuki but have been running a 140 for four seasons and have been very happy with it.

If the 150 is essentially a detuned 175, I'd go with the 175. I just can't see hanging the weight of a 175 on the transom and having only 150 horse. You'll never regret going with more hp, but most people do regret having gone with less hp.

I'll take a wag that with the 175 you'll be cruising in the mid to high 20 knot range and wot will be in the mid 30's. On a calm day that equates to more fishing time, always a good thing with the long runs most of us are making to the fishing holes.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Second Paul H

My friend's old man has the 175 on his Hewescraft OceanPro and it has been a great motor for them a great powerplant and lots of power. And my friend is like 6'8" 300lbs and and so are his folks so that boat when taken out by the family is loaded down.

Definately get the 175 but for sure the 150/175 Suzuki is a great engine.

Sobie2

Default Thanks for the replies.

Spoiled One - Small world!! I looked the website that you listed & both of his boats are about a block from my house, so I'll stop by to see him. I swear that one of them had twin Yamahaha's on it.

Dan - Same block as far as I know & I think that you can spin a 17" prop on the 150.... I think that the price difference is ~$1500 from 140 to 150xlt & ~$2500 from 150 to 175xlt & $5000 from 150 to twin 75xlt's (!!!). There was a low hour 175hp shortie on CL earlier this winter for $10k & Anchorage Yamaha has a 300hp xlt on consignment but I forget the asking price.

Paul H - Hewescraft's performance bulletin for the SeaRunner Xt/Yamaha 150 shows a 4000 rpm cruise @ 32mph & wot @ 42mph so the 150 Suzi should be close depending on prop, fuel, lard on board, etc. especially with the new extended transom that Silverstreak built me last year. The Hewes/Yamaha bulletin also shows the mpg for the 150 within .3mpg of the 115. Santa didn't have the $$ in his budget for the 175 + the new car he brought for mama..........

Sobie 2 - I think that the 150 is going to be a huge improvement over the 115 Yamaha that currently sits on the transom.

Anyone going to be in the market next spring for a used 115 Yamaha with less than 500 hrs on it?

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Spoiled One - Small world!! I looked the website that you listed & both of his boats are about a block from my house, so I'll stop by to see him. I swear that one of them had twin Yamahaha's on it.
    His bigger boat has twin Yammies.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Anyone going to be in the market next spring for a used 115 Yamaha with less than 500 hrs on it?
    A friend of mine might be interested in your 115 for his skiff. I'll ask him. Do have an idea of what your asking price will be? Feel free to PM me.

Interesting. Max HP for the 22 ET is 225hp. 175 is max for the 20. Certainly is rating room for more than a 150 on your 22 ET, but when it comes to boats, I totally understand the whole budget issue. You have to draw the line somewhere, and since you have already run the boat with a 115, you know the limitations you'll face with a 150 already.

I've had the 175hp version on my skiff for a couple years...

...and it will hit 40mph wide open. Cruises at 30mph at 4200rpms. I also switched to the larger diameter prop, but don't remember the actual numbers. Great from the hole shot all the way up.