Thread: Innoko river

Default Innoko river

Hey im looking at making a run to the innoko river this summer. going to put in at manley. was wondering if anyone had any info on running the yukon and innoko rivers? and where gas is available. ive been as far as the nowitna many times and and to ruby once...mainly looking at info past ruby and on up the innoko. also..bout how many river miles is that from manley to mouth of innoko? any info would help...thanks.
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Google Earth is your friend. Distance tool.

Quote Originally Posted by rawdogrichard View Post
    Hey im looking at making a run to the innoko river this summer. going to put in at manley. was wondering if anyone had any info on running the yukon and innoko rivers? and where gas is available. ive been as far as the nowitna many times and and to ruby once...mainly looking at info past ruby and on up the innoko. also..bout how many river miles is that from manley to mouth of innoko? any info would help...thanks.
    Innoko is across from Holy Cross which is WAY down river! Using google earth without accounting for every bend in the river it was 400 miles to Tananna from Holy Cross. It's 65 gps miles from Manely to Tananna so your looking at probably 500 miles of river running. We put 363 miles one way going up the Nowitna and then up the little mud this fall from Nenanna. Definitely doable but it's a long ride.

That is going to be one long river run! Never heard of anyone going down that far, what are you going to be doing?

Maybe after a big pike, I believe the State record to date was caught on the Innoko, just under 38 pounds if memory is right.
    I would like to make that trip myself, just need plenty of time..............
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Maybe after a big pike, I believe the State record to date was caught on the Innoko, just under 38 pounds if memory is right.
    I would like to make that trip myself, just need plenty of time..............
    That is exactly what I was thinking and the fishing should be pretty goos come spring time after a long winter those big boys will be eating anything and everything.

yup...never been there...mostly just want to see new country...want to check out the fishing for sure tho! gonna go in june once the water drops a bit...just lookin for a lil info..ive checked it out on google earth and talked to guys who have flown in...just havnt found anyone who has made the run from manley. cant wait to do it.

Wow dude, that sounds epic. What are you running it with, are you cashing in your 401k for gas? Are you going to float most of it. How about boating down, selling the boat and flying back. It would be cheaper than running the boat back up stream. Let us know the details of the plan. Wow again.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Wow dude, that sounds epic. What are you running it with, are you cashing in your 401k for gas? Are you going to float most of it. How about boating down, selling the boat and flying back. It would be cheaper than running the boat back up stream. Let us know the details of the plan. Wow again.
    Ha! Yah, what he said!! I'd like to hear what the fuel mileage info is and total (fuel) price by itself.. Good luck...

yup...never been there...mostly just want to see new country...want to check out the fishing for sure tho! gonna go in june once the water drops a bit...just lookin for a lil info..ive checked it out on google earth and talked to guys who have flown in...just havnt found anyone who has made the run from manley. cant wait to do it.
    What kind of boat you planning to run? Jet or Prop?

I've ran up from Russian Mission to Fairbanks. It was 738 miles of the GPS from barge landing at Russian Mission to Pikes landing. It was a few years ago ok maybe around ten years ago but you could get fuel on the beach at Galena and Ruby. The rest of the places you needed to hire somebody to haul your tanks for you.
    06 custom weld storm 6 liter 212 and other stuff
    05 1000X with some little thing's done

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post

well i was originally planning on running it with my sportjon...running a optimax 200...however...no way was i going to afford that. so after talking it over and looking at how far it was with my buddy, we decided to take his sixteen foot riverboat. hes running a honda fourstroke fifty horse which really sips the gas. it burns about .8 gallons an hour. i know u can get gas in tanana..fairly expensive, and i know u can get it in ruby...last summer it was almost comparable in price to fairbanks..the gas in ruby. its a small boat so with two guys its gonna have to be minimal gear, so that we can pack as much gas as possible since we want to make it as far up the innokko as possible..something ive been wanting to do for a few years. we have fourteen days off work for the trip...and yes..it is gonna be awesome..ill post a write up on here with pics and video after its all said and done.

We have been to the Nowitna as well and gas usage was a VERY big deal. We floated or "trolled" down stream for a couple of days and made kind of a party out of it and saved almost 200 gal of gas with two boats (big inboard jets). It was a good way to hunt so the extra time was not such a big deal. It was WAY more comfortable to be off the motors and to be able to relax a bit. We had to stash gas for the way back because of weight, you might consider that. It was easy to float down heavy and half way between gas stops stash a hundo of gas, poof instantly lighter boats, and off you go. We also had a bad time with water in the fuel we picked up in in Tananna. After that, we did not fill directly to our boat tanks and only into containers. We filtered the Tananna gas through a water separator as we put it into the boat tank and then had another filter in line. The inline filter was still full of water. An automotive fuel pump rigged with a bunch of fuel hose and a 12v plug worked like a charm. We could fuel the boat on the go out of the containers.

Do you have a john boat or Lund type boat? Windshield and rain fly? Stereo?

well i was originally planning on running it with my sportjon...running a optimax 200...however...no way was i going to afford that. so after talking it over and looking at how far it was with my buddy, we decided to take his sixteen foot riverboat. hes running a honda fourstroke fifty horse which really sips the gas. it burns about .8 gallons an hour. i know u can get gas in tanana..fairly expensive, and i know u can get it in ruby...last summer it was almost comparable in price to fairbanks..the gas in ruby. its a small boat so with two guys its gonna have to be minimal gear, so that we can pack as much gas as possible since we want to make it as far up the innokko as possible..something ive been wanting to do for a few years. we have fourteen days off work for the trip...and yes..it is gonna be awesome..ill post a write up on here with pics and video after its all said and done.
    Rawdog, did you ever make this trip......? thinking about going next month......
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Rawdog, did you ever make this trip......? thinking about going next month......
    We better hear a report from one of you guys!

Default It has been done

Bridge to Innoko and back--3 days down, 2 LONG days back running very hard, and purchased 850+ gallons of gas for the trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by akgriz View Post
    Bridge to Innoko and back--3 days down, 2 LONG days back running very hard, and purchased 850+ gallons of gas for the trip.
    Lol. I bet you did with a 225.
    I know lots of guys that have done it. They didn't burn much gas on the way down because they let the current pull them

Quote Originally Posted by akgriz View Post
    Did you go all the way to Holy Cross....?
    TR

Can't really help you, though I have very fond memories of hunting out of Manley as far as the Nowitna. An old friend, Ray Tremblay, (https://www.amazon.com/Patrol-Advent.../dp/088240573X) told me once that where you want to go was about his favorite place in Alaska. I so miss that country! Father Time prevents me from partaking anymore. I'm danged jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by copperlake View Post
    Can't really help you, though I have very fond memories of hunting out of Manley as far as the Nowitna. An old friend, Ray Tremblay, (https://www.amazon.com/Patrol-Advent.../dp/088240573X) told me once that where you want to go was about his favorite place in Alaska. I so miss that country! Father Time prevents me from partaking anymore. I'm danged jealous!
    Looks like a good book, made the trip a few years ago and cut over on Yukon slough to the Innoko.
    Maybe next time we will go all the way to Holy Cross
    TR