Thread: sierra game king performance on game?

Default sierra game king performance on game?

I was wondering if anyone has have hunting reports about this bullet? I was thinking about loading some 160 grainers for my 280 AI. I expect to push this bullet about 2850FPS. I just wondering about it exploding on impact, mushrooming, ect. I usually use barnes, but i'm looking for a little cheaper bullet for sheep, black bear, ect. Thanks.

It's one of my favorite bullets past 200 yards, and especially past 300. Probably one of the best longrange game bullets in my book. It expands reliably at ranges where a lot of "premium" bullets don't expand at all in my first-hand experience.

But that comes at a price. At higher vels inside 200 yards and especially inside 100 it expands a lot and sheds weight. I whacked a deer at 50 yards with one at 3100 from a 7mm mag, and it really took out the lungs. And very nearly ruined the off shoulder due to shooting angle. But with the moderate velocities of your 280 AI I'd expect very reasonable performance till you get inside 100 yards. Inside 50 things could get a little messy, but that's not really an issue if you're shooting ribs rather than hams or shoulders. I've shot a fair number of deer with that bullet launched at 2700 or so from 7x57's and 2800 from 284's, and those distance considerations seem to hold pretty true to what you can expect from your AI at 2850. It's perhaps a little more tender than the 160 Speer, but not much.

Thanks brown bear. I really only shoot anywhere between 100 to 300 yards. When you talk about speer bullets are you talking about the grand slam or the hot core? I use the 200 hot core in my 338-06 for white tail ect. It really knocks them down and I have never had one blow apart.

The couple 300gr 375's I've used on moose at 40 to 75 yards have come apart. But I'm OK with that. The reason I know they have come apart is because I'm picking the pieces out of the heart/lungs after one shot, and they stop moving about 30 to 45 seconds after being hit. 40 to 50 feet is as far as they travel. Blows a pretty substantial 3/8" hole most of the way through. The jacket and a bit of the core is usually lodged under the hide on the far side.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    When you talk about speer bullets are you talking about the grand slam or the hot core?
    Oh, I was talking about the 160 Hot Cor. I have only a little experience with the Grand Slam, but it is noticeably tougher. Not enough tougher for me to justify the current price, though.

I use a lot of Speer 160's because about ten years back I got 30 boxes at $5 a box from a sporting goods store that was going under. I got 15 or 16 boxes of Speer 145's at the same price too, but we've mostly used those up. It's my wife's favorite deer bullet with a mild load at 2600fps from a 7x57, and she has really gone through them at the range too.

I shoot the gamekings a lot. I use the 140 gr. in a 7mm mag at 3240 fps. It is a very good load for deer sized game. Sierra recomends there 160 gr. hollow point for black bear in the 7 mag. They shoot good but have not had a chance to take game with them yet.

I have used the 300 grain spitzer boat tail bullets in my .375 H&H for years. I have shot at least 5 moose with them and have no complaints whatsoever. I have also used the 130 grain on several whitetail and blacktail deer, and the 150 grain on 1 black bear and probably 15 caribou. Again no issues. I would hesitate on using the gamekings on a grizzly, not for any known problem or lack of confidence in the bullet - just would want a really premium bullet.

i shoot sierra bullets regularly, and believe them to be deadly on game. contrary to the latest hyperbole a well placed bullet will kill cleanly every time.

the 165gr .30cal is one of the most accurate bullets i have ever used....it is highly recommended.
    happy trails.
    jh

I believe they are excellent hunting bullets on soft-skinned game as long as impact velocities are kept below 3000fps. The HP bullets are tougher than the SP variety. Some of my best groups have been made using SGKs. The SPs are equivalent with BTs and SSTs as far as toughness. The HPs are more in line with Core-Lokts, Power Points and Interlocks.

YMMV

I shot a feral pig with the 6.5 140 GR Sierra GK, through the heavy shoulder. Bullet held together and I recovered in off side. 6.5X55, 150 yds. Recommended.

I''ve shot moose, caribou, grizzly, and sheep with 180 GKs out of my 300 WSM.

1st moose - neck shot at 50 yds, dropped instantly, bullet found on far side hide. I think like 70% retention.
    2nd moose - broadside double lung at 225 yds, ran the typical 50 yds or so when lung shot, bullet recovered on far side hide. Again bullet came apart some, killed quickly, and the core penetrated to far side hide.

Good results on sheep and grizz also. They shoot great and are much cheaper than most bullets (I reload). Even though they have performed well, I've switched to 180gr Barnes TSX for hunting. Figured the Barnes would be more likely to penetrate in the event of hitting heavy bone from misplaced or follow up shots. Still no qualms with using the 180 GKs in the 300 WSM, guess I just have $$ to burn .