Thread: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan scope mounts for use with rifle sights

Default Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan scope mounts for use with rifle sights

I just picked up a new Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger and really like the rifle sights on it, but I also want to mount a scope. Is there a way to use both? I've looked online as best as I can and don't see any of the "see through" or "iron sighter" scope mounts available.

I've heard that the recoil of the .375 Ruger is enough to think twice about aftermarket scope rings that modify the height of the scope.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tektonak View Post
    I just picked up a new Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger and really like the rifle sights on it, but I also want to mount a scope. Is there a way to use both? I've looked online as best as I can and don't see any of the "see through" or "iron sighter" scope mounts available.

I've heard that the recoil of the .375 Ruger is enough to think twice about aftermarket scope rings that modify the height of the scope.

Any thoughts?
    I always recommend staying away from anything like "iron sighter" rings. Probably the best option is to consider using detachable rings so as to remeove the scope completely when beneficial or necessary. The factory Ruger rings work pretty well for this if you'll take a little care when removing and replacing the scope. When reattaching the scope, tighten up the rings alternately until secure and you'll probably find they are good to go. I have a screwdriver that I ground to precisely fit the Ruger ring nut which makes the entire process a no-brainer.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I've got a couple of these rifles and really like them alot. First off- stay away from any kind of "see through" ring. They put the scope ridiculously high and you'll never get a decent cheek weld...the rifle will likely smack you silly on the cheek to boot.

Using a screwdriver or leatherman or whatever, you can remove the scope in the field without any trouble and shoot the factory irons or you may consider forgoing the scope altogether and mount a receiver sight which will be only slighter slower than the "express sights" and only slightly less accurate than a low powered scope. One of mine is destined for this treatment.

Food for thought...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Warne makes an excellent set of QD rings for Ruger rifles. They will be a much better solution than see through type rings. Aside from the aforementioned height issue, I am yet to find a set of see through rings that were any kind of sturdy. Usually only a small jolt is enough to bend the "see through" portion of the rings, thereby changing POI. See through rings were a bad idea, that for some reason caught on and spread like wildfire back when. If all that isn't enough to convince you, see through designs, as a rule are butt ugly.

+1 on the detachable rings. NEGC (New England Gun Co.)makes nice peep sights that fit right in the ruger ring base mounts and they also make the same for weaver mounts. Just passing that along.
    Ruger 375, get a scope with lots of eye relief.

Alright Alright! You guys have convinced me otherwise. Thanks "The Kid" for your suggestion on the Warnes rings. I'll check them out.

I used to have a 44 carbine with the "iron sighter" rings on them and like the concept. I liked the idea for this gun so I could use it as a brush gun with the iron sights in case I needed to pull up the rifle for a fast shot on a bear that might be charging me, but also use the scope when I wanted to take a longer shot.

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming if any other ideas are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tektonak View Post
    . I liked the idea for this gun so I could use it as a brush gun with the iron sights in case I needed to pull up the rifle for a fast shot on a bear that might be charging me, but also use the scope when I wanted to take a longer shot.
    You might try a couple of things...first of all is a low powered variable (1-5x or 1-4x) and try snap shooting on the lowest setting with both eyes open. Very fast and surprisingly accurate.

Second, for close range defensive use try setting up some targets at close range (20-30ft or so) and snap shooting looking over your scope...faster and more accurate than you'd believe with a little practice.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit