Thread: My slug gun just won't shoot straight anymore!

Default My slug gun just won't shoot straight anymore!

I had a guy bring his 20 ga 870 Express deer gun to me today making the above claim. "When I first got this gun it would perd-n-neer touch holes. Now it won't shoot for shucks with anything I try!"

My first thought was the scope. After all it was a 10 year old Simmons 8 Point in 1.5-5 variable. Probably cost $30 at Wally World when new. So he left me the gun and about 10 boxes of 5 different kinds of ammo. I replaced the Simmons with tried and trusted Nikon 4X with ample eye relief for what we were doing.

He was right! I fired two rounds of Hornady 250 grain Sabot Slugs and the first one went 8 inches high at 50 yards and the second about that much low. The results were about the same regardless of the ammo.

The scope mount is the a B-Square saddle mount that is held in place by screws through the 2 pin holes in the receiver. This is a mount that I always considered as good as any and can't remember ever hearing of one failing. The crown, if a slug gun has a crown looked ok. I put the gun in my vise and stuck a bore sighter in the hole what spits out the bullets. I wiggled and tapped and wiggled some more but couldn't get the cross hairs to move from their original spot. I then took the barrel off and held it to the light and looked through the hole not really expecting to find anything........well I'll be??? That $350 rifled Hastings Paradox barrel was full of lead from one end to the other. I can't say that I have ever seen anything quite like it. Obviously someone has been shooting the old rifled smooth bore slugs and lots of them in this barrel.

A quart of printers solution, a bottle of shooters choice and three brushes later and I could see rifling.

I didn't have much day light left when I got back to the range but had enough to fire 3 rounds of Remington Premier AccuTip 260 grain Bonded Sabot Slugs into 1 ragged hole at the same 50 yards.

I wonder if his offer to sell me the piece of junk for $200 dollars still stands?

If you have a rifled barrel on your slug gun then don't shoot the same cheap Wally World $3 for 5 pack Winchester Super X's that grandpa used in his pheasant gun. Lay down some cash for the right ammo! Sheesh!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

So, THAT'S WHY they say, Shoot Sabots in a Rifled barrel.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You can certainly shoot those cheap lead slugs in your rifled barrel, you just have to CLEAN the darn thing when you get home. Amazing so many folks don't know what a cleaning rod and brush are.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

"My slug gun just won't shoot straight anymore!"
    I have made some real good buys right after hearing statements like that. Always a reason and usually there’s an easy fix . . . but I did get stuck with two French MAS autos in 308 once (“they won’t feed anything“) that sure evened things up considerably. I paid $300 for the pair and they wernt worth three bucks . . . I DON’T buy nutin French no how, no more, no way!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I got really sick on Fench goat cheese once in Cyprus...one of those things you never forget...I think I spent 2 days on the tuvolet'...never eat French anymore!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

It doesn't have to be rifled to be a good shooter. When I re-qualified on shotty this past October, I used a Remmie 870 massaged by Vang with a 14" barrel and the Mossberg ghost ring sights. I hit center mass every shot. Standing out to 75 yards. Out to 150 yards sitting. Though the trajectory was more akin to a mortar shell the Federal reduced recoil slugs flew as true as the barrel sent them.

I would very much like to see a shotgun fired using high-speed video. I would bet you it wiggles around like a slug on salt.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Some of my best bargains, especially with muzzleloaders, have been "shot out" guns. Careful exams before buying almost always show fouling from poor cleaning. Yeah, I happily buy them for cheap. Then clean them right. I figure you ought to buy it for cheap now that you've put all the work into cleaning it!

I gave him $250 for it just an hour ago! He didn't want to buy slugs that cost 2 bucks each.

Heck, I live in a shotgun/slugs only world for most deer hunting and have 8 grandkids. The gun has a short stock and a kick-eez recoil pad and the barrel is ported so I'm thinking this one will go to one of the girls!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    It doesn't have to be rifled to be a good shooter. When I re-qualified on shotty this past October, I used a Remmie 870 massaged by Vang with a 14" barrel and the Mossberg ghost ring sights. I hit center mass every shot. Standing out to 75 yards. Out to 150 yards sitting. Though the trajectory was more akin to a mortar shell the Federal reduced recoil slugs flew as true as the barrel sent them.

I would very much like to see a shotgun fired using high-speed video. I would bet you it wiggles around like a slug on salt.
    Your right! This is the first slug gun that I have personally owned that had a rifled barrel. In fact I'm pretty sure the world could have gotten along fine with smooth bore slug guns and Winchester Super X slugs. However there is a market geared for over thinkers and I just became part of that market!