Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Guides carrying 10mm for Bear Defence Sidearm?

Default Alaska Guides carrying 10mm for Bear Defence Sidearm?

Hello everyone! Okay Iv got a question. Does anyone know of Alaska Guides who carrys a 10mm for Bear defence?
    On various forums and articles (mainly by people who don't live up here) there is been lots of talk about how the 10mm is used by Guides in Alaska. I know it would definitely be better than a fishing pole but if your trying to protect a client from bears I kinda think you would want something that packs more punch. The 10mm is defiantly powerful cartridge but I don't think I would go out and buy a 10mm over a 44mag or 454 casull if it was going to be used to defend other peoples lives. Most Hunting Guides I know of carry rifles not handguns. Most Fishing Guides I know of carry revolvers or shotguns. I personally don't know of anyone who uses an semi-auto in 10mm as their primary. Just wanted to know what everyone else has heard on this.

The only person I have ever met in the field that carried a 10mm was a lady fed with USFWS.

Every fishing guide I have met in the field had a large SS revolver on them. Some had long arm backup in the boat for camp.

There are so many fishing guides in the summer up here from the L48 anything could be possible.

I dont think you will find many that carry any handgun as a primary weapon. Backup, sure.

Shotgun with slugs, 454, 41-44 mag or the 500 would be the only thing I would think would make a difference in regards to a last ditch effort to stop a charging animal/backup.. I like having my buddy there with his rifle..lol Outside of emptying your rifle first..and of course warning shots.
    My 2 cents...anything other than the listed above would be like carrying a 22LR... and would probably just be used to do that!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

yep i carry one. my go to. easy to shoot, can use it with one hand with my scalp pulled over my eyes, recoil is managable with one hand, accurate, loud and slim so it carries nice, 9 rounds. i carry it fishing and on sheep or goat hunts when i dont' want to carry a full rifle around. shot a grizz, sheep, mt goat and fox with it so far. it'll work...but like any other bear deterant situation, i'm not there to kill it, i'm there to keep it from hurting me or my client thats my priority. not to drop the bear with one stone cold shot form a monster magnum...are there bigger guns for that..sure. my 10mm is my keep me alive and safe gun...10' brownie rolling down on me, i'll be standing there with it....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ..., 9 rounds....
    ??????????????

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    ??????????????
    A custom 1911 commander maybe?
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I can't hit crap with a 500 (only revolver I've ever shot other than a 44) and it takes about 30 seconds to get back on target....a 10 MM, now I've shot a few clips of that and you can shoot it pretty dang quick, accurately too. more power than a 45 ACP
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    A custom 1911 commander maybe?
    Duh...I get into a 10mm/G20 rut sometimes

I know him and his buddy have 'matching' 10mm 1911s (can't remember the buddies AOD handle)

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Duh...I get into a 10mm/G20 rut sometimes
    Might as well carry something with some style! That way you dont get mauled with an ugly gun and 12 rounds still in the mag!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    yep i carry one. my go to. easy to shoot, can use it with one hand with my scalp pulled over my eyes, recoil is managable with one hand, accurate, loud and slim so it carries nice, 9 rounds. i carry it fishing and on sheep or goat hunts when i dont' want to carry a full rifle around. shot a grizz, sheep, mt goat and fox with it so far. it'll work...but like any other bear deterant situation, i'm not there to kill it, i'm there to keep it from hurting me or my client thats my priority. not to drop the bear with one stone cold shot form a monster magnum...are there bigger guns for that..sure. my 10mm is my keep me alive and safe gun...10' brownie rolling down on me, i'll be standing there with it....

I am satisfied with my G20. It has worked perfectly on two bears black bears so far. Never a charging situation but penetration results close up on those bears prove to me it will do just fine in such a situation with a good bullet, as you know Jake! Years ago you mentioned some of the above and what pushed to try the G20. I'm not looking back.

Pipercub, ever think the nay sayers= dirtbag morons?!!

tenmm is my buddys handle...actually my brother, he built our 1911's.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'm not a guide, but I've been satisfied with my G29. I carry it all the time. I'm confident that I can pull that compact glock and put a whole lot of hurt into something in a very short period of time. Personal skill level varies, but I've had that compact 10mm in hand and on target before the guy next to me even had his revolver unholstered.

i pack a 10mm glock model 20. have to special order 300gr rounds for big chargers, but it shoots straight and has ample follow up rounds in the clip. I hear that the Ft. Wainwright outdoors shop carries larger ammo for teh 10mm, but don;t know for sure.

AKRay, that femail FWS pilot gal is my wife, and she can outshoot me any day of the week, with my pistol and hers...LOL

larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    i pack a 10mm glock model 20. have to special order 300gr rounds for big chargers, but it shoots straight and has ample follow up rounds in the clip. I hear that the Ft. Wainwright outdoors shop carries larger ammo for teh 10mm, but don;t know for sure.

AKRay, that femail FWS pilot gal is my wife, and she can outshoot me any day of the week, with my pistol and hers...LOL

larry
    When she stopped us on the river it was almost big as her.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    When she stopped us on the river it was almost big as her.
    Congrats Larry. A woman that carries a gun almost as big as she is, and knows how to use it, is a good woman to have IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    I'm not a guide, but I've been satisfied with my G29. I carry it all the time. I'm confident that I can pull that compact glock and put a whole lot of hurt into something in a very short period of time. Personal skill level varies, but I've had that compact 10mm in hand and on target before the guy next to me even had his revolver unholstered.
    My 29 is my goto CC and on the chest gun when in the woods. It small, powerful, and I can put 10 rounds into a paper plate at 20 yards pretty darn quick. It's not pretty and it's plastic, but it's a tool and in my mind tools should for function before form. The 10mm is a good round, but for pure bear defense I still drag around my 870 with slugs, or a Levergun shooting 45-70(Marlin GG in my case), there's just no comparison for powerful stopping shots.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Good thread! The .41 Mag was mentioned in one of the threads above...my understanding is that the 10mm is on par with the .41. I've thought as to what I should get and have narrowed it down to a 10mm, or the 329pd. This thread is helping with the decision making so keep it coming guys!

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    My 29 is my goto CC and on the chest gun when in the woods. It small, powerful, and I can put 10 rounds into a paper plate at 20 yards pretty darn quick. It's not pretty and it's plastic, but it's a tool and in my mind tools should for function before form. The 10mm is a good round, but for pure bear defense I still drag around my 870 with slugs, or a Levergun shooting 45-70(Marlin GG in my case), there's just no comparison for powerful stopping shots.

I'm right there with you. My G29 is my multi-purpose CC gun. Small enough to have with me when running/mountain biking and can get a lot of lead at a target accurately and quickly if (hopefully never) needed. When hunting and odds of an unfavorable encounter are somewhat greater (camping near and hiking to kill sites, etc...), I go with the .460. I know the 10mm isn't the most ideal gun for big animals, but it is one I will carry and I figure, a smaller gun that I will carry is a heck of a lot better than a bigger gun that is sitting at home when I need it.

an ex trooper friend of mine told me that the 357 SIG round was the best penetrating round in that style gun (semi auto pistol) this from having to dispatch many moose during his eighteen some odd years...

i'll be there with my rifle...i've never cared much for pistols outside my trapping gun, and abhore the thought of anything else strapped to my person.

a close friend of mine and very accomplished registered guide carries a glock ten...its saved his life with a sow black bear he and a client stumbled on...there ya go. well worth it in his eyes... but i didnt go out and buy one when he told me that. go figure. habits being hard to break and all that.

i'm fairly attached to my rifles.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast