Thread: Tires that can make the difference.

Default Tires that can make the difference.

I'm in the process of buying and ATV. I'm still doing research on what type. However, I'm interested in knowing the advantages of radial tires or standard tires that come with the ATV? All information will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AKtough View Post
    I'm in the process of buying and ATV. I'm still doing research on what type. However, I'm interested in knowing the advantages of radial tires or standard tires that come with the ATV? All information will be appreciated.
    Personaly I belive in Alaska you need a thick sidewall with a aggressive tread for most of what we run around Wasilla. I fancy the Swamplites.

I run the 589's, stiff side wall and good tread. They are NOT a light tire but they are well worth having.

For what type of riding? We do a lot of all over riding, on and off trail, dry and mud. Stock tires were not good for that. My Fiance runs ITP Mudlites which have proven to not hold up well for our style of riding- he's punctured the sidewall multiple times. I run ITP 589's, they're heavy but have proven to be fairly bomb proof.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Anything other than stock will be a huge improvement. I went with Swamp witch over the 589's because the tread wraps around the sidewall a bit. The 589 has all the tread on the bottom surface. The bit of tread wrapping up the sidewall really helps to climb out of ruts. Here is a pic of my ride -

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

ITP's absalutly hammer, well, everything connected to the tire, from our experience. I got some maxis tires form the honda shop and they work very week for both dirt road riding, pavement, snow, mud, swamp and other such things ALTHOUGH the baled tires (and I mean slick except on the sides) I had on my wheeler were better for "floating" on mud and not sinking, the new tires dig right in and sink it real fast.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Thank you for the reply and picture. Your help is most appreciated.

Thanks for the infromation.

I have had good luck with the Maxxis Mud Bugs. Like AKMUD says; the tread on the sidewall helps out tremendously in ruts.P1040036 (Medium).JPG

What ATV are you looking at purchasing? This will help other members give you a better idea on tires for that quad
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I'm also a big fan of inner tubes. After a season or so, I was getting slow leaks from all my tires from all the pinching, tearing etc. Tubed them up, and no more problems. Also, I keep a mini compressor, spare tube, and a small set of tire irons in the machine. Unless I REALLY tear up the tire, I can change a flat in about 20 minutes without having to bring a whole tire.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Anything other than stock will be a huge improvement. I went with Swamp witch over the 589's because the tread wraps around the sidewall a bit. The 589 has all the tread on the bottom surface. The bit of tread wrapping up the sidewall really helps to climb out of ruts. Here is a pic of my ride -

I personally don't like the side tread. I find that going up tight guts/ruts where there is no room right or left the side lugs pull the machine up out of the ruts and onto the side hill and once you're off trail with a trailer, backing up and taking another line is almost impossible. Meaning, at full throttle going up a hill that has an exact 50" wide trail the tires with aggressive side lugs are hard for me to control where I want the machine to go not where the tires are getting a bite. My two cents. More tread is not a bad thing but I like the 589's because they go where I want them to go and dig like a "Honey Badger"

I have the 27" MudHoggs on my Arctic Cat. They have a heavy aggressive tread, but not a lot of side bite. Like 1S1K mentions, they don't drag the machine where it wants to go, but if I turn them to dig in, they will grab and go. I've been happy with them so far. Recently bought the machine used and it came with them.