Thread: Feasibility of Baiting Near Anchorage

Default Feasibility of Baiting Near Anchorage

I've never baited before but would love to get into it. I've read through the regs and understand all the requirements but am left wondering, is it even feasible to do if I live in Anchorage. With all the trips out of town required to maintain a baitsite and not to mention all the competition from others doing the same thing off of the highway, is it worth it? Can a guy get into a spot off the highway and do ok? I don't have a boat or a quad, just my truck and my feet. Not opposed to some hard work but it will cost some money to do the trips down south constantly throughout the spring and summer.

I think the other determining factor is the number of other hunters doing the same thing and finding an area with a decent number of bears. After hunting hard all last spring from the seward highway I saw lots of bears along the Turnagain arm but I saw zero bears south of there, in the legal baiting zone.

Can anyone give me some encouraging advice?

Thanks

You can be a weekend baiter and just set up camp somewhere near hope. You can be very productive as long as you have enough food in the barrel. Keep your hole small in your barrel so the bears have to work harder to get the food. I recommend a bait ball from 907Baitem to keep a strong scent in the area. Lots of people but lots of bears.

Sorry but... Spenard on a saturday night is not hard to beat for critters large and small!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Sorry but... Spenard on a saturday night is not hard to beat for critters large and small!!!!
    That is soooo funny and soooo true!

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    I've never baited before but would love to get into it. I've read through the regs and understand all the requirements but am left wondering, is it even feasible to do if I live in Anchorage. With all the trips out of town required to maintain a baitsite and not to mention all the competition from others doing the same thing off of the highway, is it worth it? Can a guy get into a spot off the highway and do ok? I don't have a boat or a quad, just my truck and my feet. Not opposed to some hard work but it will cost some money to do the trips down south constantly throughout the spring and summer.

I think the other determining factor is the number of other hunters doing the same thing and finding an area with a decent number of bears. After hunting hard all last spring from the seward highway I saw lots of bears along the Turnagain arm but I saw zero bears south of there, in the legal baiting zone.

Can anyone give me some encouraging advice?

Thanks
    I think it's worth it (not in terms of dollars, but in terms of experience).... just from the aspect of getting out, doing some camping, and learning new country. I'm not much of a stream, river or lake fisherman anymore so Bear baiting supplements the camping activity.

IMO ... it's not a small feat. Even with off road equipment, had to do quite a bit of ground work (1. get the bear baiting certification, 2) get barrels and food, 3) find a place to bait (checking maps and doing the legwork that houses, schools, trails etc. were amply away, register the station(s) and then proceed to fill barrels.) We got lucky on our first year despite having to wait until late May to get the station established.

As for finding an area ... I travel along streams or trails and cut their tracks and then look for places to legally set up a station.