Thread: Deer trip for kids

Default Deer trip for kids

I appreciate any help and advice. I am wanting to take my 11 yo daughter, she will be 12 next fall, on a deer hunt next fall. I was hoping to get some advice on areas that I could start researching that would be a good location to take her.

Thanks

prince william sound is a good place to start..Perry, Naked, Mummy, or Greene Islands..though there are not huge bucks out there, they are fairly easy to find, especially later in the season, and it requires a lot less travel expenses (usually)....Kodiak would probly be your best bet if your willing to spend the money...

Release Lake Trout

I don't know what your budget is. If you have airline miles available...etc.. I took my 12y.o. daughter down to Coffman Cove (Prince of Wales Island) on a deer hunt the first week of November this year. Hunting was slow, but we had a blast. We stayed at Coffman Cove Adventures which is a sponsor of this forum. The forum member that owns it is called Gooch.

Quote Originally Posted by gas passer View Post
    I appreciate any help and advice. I am wanting to take my 11 yo daughter, she will be 12 next fall, on a deer hunt next fall. I was hoping to get some advice on areas that I could start researching that would be a good location to take her.

Thanks
    To really be able to answer this I would need to know what resources you have / or services you're looking for. PWS deer are typically smaller than Kodiak. Both areas have transporter DIY and guided services available. PWS forest service has cabins for rent but obviously surrounding area more pressured. I believe there's a new smaller lodge near Valdez in PWS offering transportation / and or guided trips. Lots of options.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

also on those islands i mentioned, there are no bears....so easier to hunt without chance of running into a bear....

Release Lake Trout

I've never been down to Prince of Wales, but in reading the many reports of Coffman Cove over the years and in corresponding with Gooch a bit, that would be my first choice. It's already high on the list of places I plan to take my sons deer hunting when they're a bit older (currently 1 and 3). If not Coffman Cove, then I'd look really hard at an August alpine hunt on Kodiak or a cabin-based hunt on Kodiak or Afognak in November. I love Prince William Sound, but in my perspective it's not the top option for young hunters. Additionally, they're having a huge snow year, so that might affect deer numbers next year. I'm not sure what the snow looks like on Kodiak and in Southeast - that might be something worth looking into as well.

Thanks for the info guys. Being the cheapskate that I am, I don't want to spend a ton of money, but understand in order to get places it takes some cash I don't really want to use a guide, even if unsuccessful in the taking of an animal, the hunt is what I enjoy and want to teach my kids to enjoy. However, I know having her have success is really important to keep kids interested. I really like the idea of not having to worry about bears but the mention of the tough winter is a great point. I am planning to take her bou hunting in August so the later deer hunts are mainly what I was thinking about.

well consider this...you can rent a boat (granted your experienced?) take her out a weekend trip in say september or maybe even early october, beautiful scenery, a short drive, and you can have the option of fishing if the hunting is poor.....there are cons though, such as weather....

Release Lake Trout

The other concideration is: Are you willing to have her harvest Does? This makes the hunt easier... Any deer is harvestable, and you don't risk having to pass up a lot of close easy animals looking for a "trophy" buck.
    My last blacktail was a button buck taken at 100 yds within an easy pull to the beach. And yes, I know it was only a button when I harvested him. He was still a TROPHY to me. As was the over 200 pound doe I took the day before- she was dropped in her tracks less than 20 feet from the surf.

Chris