Thread: Fishing the Kenai near the Russian

Default Fishing the Kenai near the Russian

I'm headed back to Anchorage this year , I know we will end up at the russian at some point , fishing are way down from the willow . Last time there I talked to some guys putting in at a launch near the ferry parking lot at the russian . Seemed very busy with float boats etc. The guys I talked to were fishing for rainbows mainly with beads and I wondered if on this trip I should try and get set up to fish the Kenai one day for bows on a float . We will be there about the third week in August , to miss the red craze and crowds . Can anyone tell me how the fishing for bows would be this time of year and if it would be worth the money to hook up with a guide for the day .It would be great to get away from the kenia flip for a day and try some real fly fishing on the Kenai .
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

You wont be dissapointed. Try troutfitters, or mystic waters...cant go wrong.

Upper Kenai 101

Alan's Fall trip report

And another vote for troutfitters...those folks know that river and its inhabitants.

Thanks for the info on outfitters and the links , some good reading and more good info . Are the two outfitters close by the russian river area ? I don't think I'm going be able to set a date as we kind of fish down the peninsula stopping and moving according to the bite . I was hoping I could give an outfitter a call when in the area . I never fished from a float boat , do they usually stop and let you fish areas out of the boat ? Anything else you can think of would be helpful .

The "trout crowds" come out after the red craze. The upper is anything but quaint from Aug-Oct due to the trout bite. Fish can still be caught and in good numbers but there are still A LOT of people doing that float at that time. We floated it a lot last year and it was hard at times to land on a sand bar to fish without someone else being there and trying not to low hole people. It's still worth floating, but do not expect to have the river to yourself. Another vote here for troutfitters. They'll put you on fish.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Don't wait until the last minute to get a guide. You might find yourself out of luck.

Good point, book early

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    The "trout crowds" come out after the red craze. The upper is anything but quaint from Aug-Oct due to the trout bite. Fish can still be caught and in good numbers but there are still A LOT of people doing that float at that time. We floated it a lot last year and it was hard at times to land on a sand bar to fish without someone else being there and trying not to low hole people. It's still worth floating, but do not expect to have the river to yourself. Another vote here for troutfitters. They'll put you on fish.
    What he said.

Thats the problem I can't book early , with fishing are way down the peninsula according to the bite it will have to be a day or two notice . We fish on are own all the time usually but this is my idea to fit in a float for rainbows , the rest of my crew probably will do there own thing that day fishing the russian .

It is easy to do some walk in fishing at several spots on the upper Kenai and is not hard to get in some good fish. If u can read water at all, u can get fish. No guide needed if u can't get one.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    Thats the problem I can't book early , with fishing are way down the peninsula according to the bite it will have to be a day or two notice . We fish on are own all the time usually but this is my idea to fit in a float for rainbows , the rest of my crew probably will do there own thing that day fishing the russian .
    I would post this question again before you get here. Some folks on here have offered up float trips for people, your surrounded by a great group of fisherman here. You never know, might get lucky.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Good advice from bigcox. There's plenty on here that would/might offer you a seat on their boat for the cost of a 12 pack and some of them know the river as good or better than some of the outfitters. I'd say come and float with me but I don't have a boat. Ask around and like bigcox said, you might get lucky.