View Poll Results: Recommended Kotzebue Air Charters

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Northwestern Aviation (Jim Kinkaid)

8 53.33%
  • Golden Eagle Outfitters (Jared Cummings)

5 33.33%
  • Ram Aviation (Mike Spisak?)

1 6.67%
  • Northern Air Trophy

3 20.00%
  • Other (specify)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: 2012 Poll: Kotezebue Air Charters

Default 2012 Poll: Kotezebue Air Charters

Okay, there was some traffic on our 2007 poll on Kotzebue air charters, with indications that some of the players listed are no longer players up there. So here is a revised list, with another opportunity to vote your favorite. As before, please keep negative comments out of this and if you do have something negative that relates to safety or other issues of concern, you can contact each other privately about that.

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

thanks for this, big help for me

I've flown with Jim and NW Aviation three times and have had excellent service

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I've done drop hunts with NAT on several occasions, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Each time we flew with NAT, Mike Spisiak (?) teamed up with Matt to get us in and out in short order.

Used Ram Aviation as a transporter last year, They provided a great successful
    hunt, in on time out on time. Rented the camp package with satisfaction, plenty of food and gear for the hunt.

I have placed clients with all of the services on the list and a few more to-boot. It has been my experience that there are 2 types of flight services. One is per hour flight service and the other is a flat rate drop. Most guys see the drop or flat rate service and assume that that is the bargain and it may be but some times not. When you hire an Air Charter by the hour you are buying the entire plane-round trip. A 206 holds about 900 pounds and at $600 an hour split between 2-3 guys your costs can be very reasonable. This means that you need to do your homework and know where you want to fly to and you are in the drivers seat somewhat as to what spot or drainage that you are choosing. When you are buying a Flat Rate service you are often times going in blind and leaving the decision in the hands of the flight service.

I use to get questions from my clients AFTER the hunt, "Here is my GPS, where were we hunting?" I don't even look at the GPS but choose to ask the question, how long was your flight. Many Flat Rate services are choosing drops very close to town because that means less fly time and quicker turn-a-round for the pilot. This also can mean you will be hunting in close proximity to other groups and for me that is a bad choice. The Per Hour flight services ends up costing less most often and you choose the general area that you will hunt. It causes you to have many conversations with your pilot as well, and this is a good thing. I always tell my hunters that they should never get into a plane if you don't know where they are landing.

Its important that you're an informed hunter and that your flight service takes the time to work with you. Remember that you're the client and you have lots of input when it comes to your hunt. It is also important to keep in mind that the pilot is the guys who is in charge of safety and he will tell you if you're looking at an area that is unsafe to land.

The key to a good hunt is planning, 8+ months before your hunt is not too soon to start. Read maps, ask questions and shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions regarding unit 23 or unit 13.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    907-259-4290
    Float hunts and Fishing trips

Gulkana,

In regards to your post I've already experienced that in regards to the flat rate option. I asked what area we would be hunting and the person on the phone told me they wouldn't know until I got up there. I understand caribou are migrating and that has to be timed to an extent but that's not really acceptable in my book. I want to be able to disect the area before I leave so i have a game plan before hand, not spending time after I land to get my bearing and try to form a plan of attack.

Thanks
    Jose

Very True:

Back in 2007 we had a dry fall and some of our rivers were too shallow for our float hunting groups. We contacted our groups about 10 days out and moved them to other rivers and even changed some hunts to drop hunts. The last this I want to do is drop a bunch of guys into an area that is barren of animals. Thing change all the time and your transporter should be able to say "well that time of the year we see lots of animals at these locations and if the migration changes we will have back up locations for you." But you should know where you're going. Hunting blind is no way to hunt!

WACH is a great place to hunt because it offers 400,000 caribou lots of bears and some very good moose rivers. If your lucky enough to make it up to NW Alaska please look us up. If you're planning on a great moose hunt well, get that permit in early and give a me a call early so we can do some planning. The most important thing for me is meeting the needs of the hunting group based upon his experience, expectations and budget. If you're coming this far north you deserve a great hunt and lots of information so you can plan. I am a map greek. I pick an area apart marking spots that look like a great spot to camp and spot game. Without lots of input from/with your outfitter planning is impossible. It's your hunt and you should demand as much info as possible. Hell you don't buy a new truck without doing lots of research do you? Hunting is no different. Your spend way too much money to do it blind!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Float hunting at its best!
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Fishing and family float trips
    907-259-4290
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals