Thread: Taxidermists

Default Taxidermists

Well apparently from another thread I learned there are some professional taxidermists on the board. So my question is: I have a sheep head mount but harvested a much larger sheep minus the cape. Can you put the larger horns in another mount? I consulted the original taxi who said too much work. Thanks in advance for the info.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default Sheep Cape

I'm not a taxi but I have sold sheep capes before so
    i'm sure you could check around and find an extra cape, maybe on this forum.

Yes, you can swap horns. I would guess it would be about 6 hours work. You can almost always go from smaller to larger, but not larger to smaller. If you want to know how it's done, PM me. Glad to help out with info. Most taxidermists would do it for you.

Yes you absolutely can.

Just make SURE you look at the guys work he has on hand when you are in his shop.

If they do not have a show room, ask if you can see his every day work in his work area.

If it just doesnt look right then that should be your first clue to keep looking for anouther taxidermist.

Also , just to let ya know, just because someone is 2-3 years out on completition , DOES Not meen he is good at his proffetion or that they take more time working on your sheep.

Do your homework , There are very good taxidermist in Alaska aswell as some very not so good ones.

I've got a question for a taxidermist. I inherited a set of sheep horns, 36x14, from a ram my grandfather took in the 60s. No cores, just the horns. Is it possible to have the horns mounted without the cores, provided a hide was available or I acquired one?

Most Taxi's want the natural core and skull plate, it fits sort of like a glove, However, they can make polymer ones out of a mold form from those actual horns but it will take a little more time and probably cost more money.

Seen one made for a guy who had a pair of Ibex horns he had. I have even seen Knights make replica horns that look almost real out of the same material.

I think your best bet is to take it into a reputable taxidermist and let them look at it. There are variables that can affect the outcome like what kind of tan, professional or home. How old is the mount and condition of the cape etc... You may even want to just get another cape and have both mounted. Good luck
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Yes 101001, it can easily be done.

we have made replica skull plates for pick up horns .
    Easy to make them fit any horns if the taxidermist knows what theyre doing.

Quote Originally Posted by 101001 View Post
    I've got a question for a taxidermist. I inherited a set of sheep horns, 36x14, from a ram my grandfather took in the 60s. No cores, just the horns. Is it possible to have the horns mounted without the cores, provided a hide was available or I acquired one?
    Cores are a dime a dozen. No problem no worries. Any taxidermist who mounts sheep has plenty of extra cores laying around. Plus you can buy synthetic cores.