Thread: Marten catches

Default Marten catches

I've been trapping for the last few years, mostly Marten, and doing all right. But I've run into an issue lately I'm hoping the veterans here can help me with. I'm using coni's in cubbies (boxes and newspaper tubes) and the vast majority of my catches have been good "suitcase" types, neck and chest. But the last couple catches were caught well back of optimal just ahead of the hips in the stomach area. Any ideas on why they are now getting so far into the trap?
    Thanks

I have had the same problem and these two things come to mind:

1. I like to make sure the trigger wires are on the outside side of the box. so that the marten hits the wires before getting too far in to the box.

2. Make sure your dogs are set for a hair trigger. you can do that by pre-pushing them until they are just about to trip, or by filing the notch in the dog so that they fire quicker (do a Google search), or lastly, make sure the bar and trigger are rust free and move easily. If you are in an area that metal frosts, you can put a drop of glycerine or antifreeze on the dog to keep it from sticking.

Ice! the triggers/dogs on my 120's start to build up ice the farther into the season I get. I have to fire the traps every once in a while and smack them on a tree to get some of the ice off.

good luck!

Thanks guys, I tripped them all last check hopefully that does it.

I also make sure the coni is set so the trigger is on the outside of box. I've played around with different trigger configurations over the years, and like to spread the trigger wires out a bit into a v shape, that seems to fire the trap better for head and neck catches when they stick their head in.

I would take some hollow weed stalks and break them off about the length of the wire triggers and "slip" them over the wires - thus making the triggers several times wider and heavier which tripped easier for mink when I trapped.By giving the critter more to push against it helped when ice was an issue... May be of some use for Martin...?

Oh, how many martin might a person catch at the same set in a season???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I have one set that I have caught 4 marten out of this year. One adult and 3 juveniles. I am sure that other guys running longer lines have caught more than that out of a single set.

This year I pulled two from 1 set a few days apart, 1 male, 1 female. I also pulled a large buck mink from a set I had already gotten a marten in.
    Interesting note: I caught the mink in a cubby 4' off of the ground.