Thread: Any good areas to hunt Mountain Goat off the highway?

Post Any good areas to hunt Mountain Goat off the highway?

would appreciate all the info i can get..attempted a goat hunt before and was unsuccessful and i seen a few too but wasnt able to find them when i tried to get closer for a shot.

Most mountain goat hunting off the road system is restricted by drawing permits and, in some rare cases, registration permit late in the season. There are a couple of areas in 14C where you could access areas open to residents via registration permit, but you're looking at a very, very long and arduous hike to get into these areas (to say nothing of getting out with an animal on your back if successful). I can't recall - there might be something workable in another unit in the eastern part of the state - but in Southcentral you're mostly restricted to drawing permit. The application period for 2012 hunts closed on December 31st, so in the next year you'll have to look for registration permit hunts. If you're willing, looking to Kodiak Island or possibly Southeast might increase your odds substantially.

i hiked into unit 14c about 10miles(according to my GPS) in and it was a HELL of a hike and the weather turned bad on the way..i guess i'll be looking at a fly in hunt or boat charter for this fall, i just need to decide where to go. i will do more research on kodiak and Southeast goat hunts..thank you for your input Brian M.

There are other areas in unit 14 besides C where there is "road" access to the beginning of a long walk (or boat ride). However, finding a "billy" that is not still on its mom's teat is the hard part.

Since this is the open internets that is all I am saying on the matter.

amen to the open internet comment ray..seen some good areas get over run due to folks wanting to be helpfull....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I've done the 14C registration hike-in. Brutal!! I still have nightmares of the hours spent crawling through the alders.

...amen...