Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Kings

Default Winter Kings

Anyone recommend someone in Homer for a winter king trip? I don't want to drag my boat down to homer in January.

Thx!

Call Captain Pete on the Julia Lynn. He's a good man on a comfortable boat and, quite frankly, he's a winter king fishing machine.

Charterboat Operator

Capt Josh Brooks!!! Owner of the Huntress!! And Brooks Alaskan Adventures! (907) 399-3775! Boat is in water and ready for king fishing!! Chriscraft Sport fisher 30 by 11,Heated cabin,full bathroom, Slip G22.

Charterboat Operator

Captain Pete's Boat is out of the water! I"m however not sure for how long.

Good call on the Huntress. That guy kills it every year during the derby. If Captain Pete is out of the water, the Huntress would likely be my second choice.

Last time I went fishing on the Huntress this winter we only landed 14 kings in 3 hrs it was slow I mean slow for Josh! Brian if you ever went with Josh not to sure he would be second choice.

If you want to split gas just let me know. I have been wanting to make a trip down.

Default What's the limit on kings?

Not to hijack just a quick question but is it 1 a day like in fresh?

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    Not to hijack just a quick question but is it 1 a day like in fresh?
    2/day in Kachemak Bay, and prior to April 1st they don't count against your 5/year total.

Josh told me the story of last year's Winter King Tournament. It was a private day on the water for him and his family. The only fish they caught all day was as a 4-5 pounder. He didn't want it on his record that he got skunked so they weight that little guy in at the end of the day.

I however got to wear the Skunk Hat!

i have a group that want to do some winter king fishing in homer in the next couple of weeks, is anybody doing any good? are big tides better fishing than small tides?

Charterboat Operator

not hi-jacking the thread, but with this cold weather, hows the harbor?? cant imagine it is not locked up pretty tight.

Default Ice ice

Quote Originally Posted by Bering Nomad View Post
    i have a group that want to do some winter king fishing in homer in the next couple of weeks, is anybody doing any good? are big tides better fishing than small tides?
    Ice is the factor right now,only the cod boats and tugs have been moving. A good westerly and warmer temps will help open things up again.

I was fishing with Josh for quite a few years but was told last year that he was still trying to get licensed/permit again. Was he successful? I sure hope so. That guy is a fish-a-matic. I'll certainly sign up with him if that's the case and he's back in business.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    I was fishing with Josh for quite a few years but was told last year that he was still trying to get licensed/permit again. Was he successful? I sure hope so. That guy is a fish-a-matic. I'll certainly sign up with him if that's the case and he's back in business.

Mike
    . He's back,give him a call.when the ice moves out he'll be fishing

Charterboat Operator

guess that answers my question, thanks

Yeah, the last time I was down at the harbor my boat was totally ice bound. The ice was pretty slushy, but it's been down near zero a lot lately and hasn't gotten much above about 15 degrees or so, so I'm thinking the harbor is pretty much impassable right now. I know I'm chompin at the bit to get out there and as soon as I can get my boat out of its slip you know where you'll find me! I've got to think with the lack of pressure there has been because of the weather there shouldn't be any lack of kings out there.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Here is the view of the spit from the top of east hill... Ice ice baby!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Charterboat Operator

It's Gone!!!!!! The whole **** shelf broke off and headed across the bay!! I was just out there. I could drift over to the fuel dock from G dock!! The main fair way is clear from H on out of the mouth! I hope it stays away! Gonna go down and get some fuel in the morning! Who knows, maybe even go fishing this weekend.Yaaaahoooooo..

Charterboat Operator

Once in a great while West 30kts is a good thing for a fisherman! It pushed that ice completely out and away from most of the harbor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast