Thread: New to riding, looking for a trail machine

Default New to riding, looking for a trail machine

I'm new to riding and I am looking for a used machine for traveling on the trails around Fairbanks. It doesn't need to be fast, just reliable and able to get around. A two up would be ideal so my wife can come along as well. I would prefer to keep it under $3,000. Any suggestions or advice?

stick with the 2up idea... just about all the mfgrs made a touring model.. Ski-doo made a "touring E" with a little 380 in it that was very economically to buy fuel for... personally I'd look for something between a 340 and a 440 engine for economy to start with.. later you can always get a go-faster model for yourself and let the wife have the 2up...

i am with OJ. i own a 380 skidoo and three polaris (340, 488, and 500). i like the 380 and 340 because they are lighter and sip the fuel. stick with fan-cooled for fewer headaches while trail riding.

i recommend well-maintained 90's vintage machines with low miles to keep the cost down and get the most for your money.

happy trail riding!

I've had a 2001 SkiDoo Grand Touring 500 for the past 3 years. Comfortable for 2 people, will pull a sled of weekend cabin stuff and starts fine in -20. No mechanical issues, if you don't count repairs made after the tree ran into me....

What Berto and OldJohn said, that 380 is amazingly stingy on gas, and on the flats, you can easily go fast enough to scare you. A friend of mine had one, it is rather gutless though, he got stuck a couple times in deep snow and the machine wouldn't even spin the track. But on trails you should be well pleased with the machine.

You can look around for any of the brands entry level machines in the newspaper, Alaskaslist or Craigslist. Also, call the stealerships to see if they have any low-priced trade-in's you could work a deal on.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Late 90's Bearcat 440 with a two up seat would do the trick too.

I second a used bearcat. It will grow with you and having the clutching to pull a good amount of weight. The ride with the "fast trak" rear suspension is surprisingly comfortable. With the Bearcats, there is a 440 l and a 440 ll model. The 440 ll model has a 156 in track, more power and twin carburetors. It will unfortunately use more fuel than the 136 " tracked single carbed bearcat 440 l. Both models have two up seating. The 340 Bearcat is one of the most fuel efficient work sleds made. Even better fuel consumption than a single cylinder Ski Doo Tundra when under a small load.