Thread: "Hammer Truss" Chest

Default "Hammer Truss" Chest

Just wrapped this up tonight; vertical grain hemlock and hardwood ply panels, cedar lining. Design based on a timber frame home I was
    working on in Homer. Finished up with four coats of water based poly and brass hardware. I love having a heated shop again!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Very nice, warm place to work is awesome...

Thumbs up

Nice work. What kind of joinery between rails and stiles? And are your panels free-floating?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Nice work. What kind of joinery between rails and stiles? And are your panels free-floating?
    Pocket screws on the frames. Ply panels are rabbeted and glued in place; I'm not currently set up for raised panels, and I don't like them anyway. Gluing in plywood panels creates a "composite" framework that is exponentially stronger than floating panels. I do the same thing with cabinet doors, drawer bottoms, etc.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Smile

Glued in makes sense if you're using plywood.

Have never used the pocket screw method . . bought a hollow-chisel mortiser a few years back . . love it.

Attachment 56441
    Daybed, nearing completion . . now finished . . where I take my naps.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Glued in makes sense if you're using plywood.

Have never used the pocket screw method . . bought a hollow-chisel mortiser a few years back . . love it.

Attachment 56441
    Daybed, nearing completion . . now finished . . where I take my naps.
    Very nice! I built a sleigh crib when my first daughter was born, sort of similar. Pine or Spruce? I'd love to have a mortiser, the pocket screws are fast, accurate, and no need for clamps, is why I like 'em.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    . . Pine or Spruce? . .
    Native spruce. My neighbor's got a little peckerwood mill, and I get him to cut me full 2" X 6" X 8' boards which I air dry and mill for my needs. Keeping the lumber at 6" prevents a lot of loss to cupping, and the full 2" lets me resaw for 1" boards. A cheap Delta planer does the final sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Very nice! I built a sleigh crib when my first daughter was born, sort of similar.
    Dug up a pic....all scrap pine from a trim job, plans and hardware ran about $50.