Thread: Harding Special!

Default Harding Special!

After more than a week away from the hard water enough was enough. Myself and several ice fishing forum legend(s) (AlcanRon) met up at Harding Lake. Def a lot more snow there than last time and the ice was a good 20"+. Marked lots of bait fish and several solid "unknowns". I was using my new Jason Mitchell Mackinaw rig and had a great takedown by a nice 31" laker. Def my biggest laker to date. After several good head shakes I got it landed for a quick photo before sending 'em back down into the depths of Hard Luck. Only fish of the day but that's how she rolls. I didn't have room for anymore donuts! Great to get back out on the ice at one of my fav places to hit in the interior. Fish On!!!

Sapper in the Skies

STA60259.jpg

Nice Job...Nice haT!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

That sure is a nice colored laker Shawn. I bet it felt good on that new rod. 6 of us out on the lake today and you are the only one that got it done. Nice Job!!

I guess I need to get my Jason Mitchell out as well. I need to break it in. Nice fish! I rolled two doughnuts this weekend. Guess I was not doing it right!LOL!

Way to put it to work Sapper! Nice Job!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Sweet fish. Great color on it.

Well done.

GREAT FISH!!!!
    and THANK YOU for letting him go, im gonna catch him next...
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

are you seeing a lot of white spots on those fish this year? ie freezer burned?

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    are you seeing a lot of white spots on those fish this year? ie freezer burned?
    Freezer burn? That's a unique way to sarcastically criticize someone's photo. Those white spots on his back are snow flakes as it was snowing out lightly when this photo was taken as you can clearly see from the flash.

Gut, being honest...not calling him out on anything but what I personally have noticed by around april or so is char with white marks...hardly snow flakes, you'll see them below the holes, they look rotten. they started just like that laker picture and only deterioated as things progressed. I havent fished harding as hard these last two winters, but have spent ample time in years past on that lake. We figured it was from poor handling. (ie the immediate freezing after they come out of the hole of the surface slime, those quarter sized white spots are just that). I havent seen it as much in the lakers, but I wouldnt be suprised if it happened. I dont know if char are less hardier than the lakers when it comes to this or not.

If you want to take it as a slap to him thats fine with me you're a grown man entitled to his own opinion...I just asked a simple question if he noticed freezer burnt fish. Whether or not he did or didnt is up to you, I wasnt judging him or his fine laker personally.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Gut, being honest...not calling him out on anything but what I personally have noticed by around april or so is char with white marks...hardly snow flakes, you'll see them below the holes, they look rotten. they started just like that laker picture and only deterioated as things progressed. I havent fished harding as hard these last two winters, but have spent ample time in years past on that lake. We figured it was from poor handling. (ie the immediate freezing after they come out of the hole of the surface slime, those quarter sized white spots are just that). I havent seen it as much in the lakers, but I wouldnt be suprised if it happened. I dont know if char are less hardier than the lakers when it comes to this or not.

If you want to take it as a slap to him thats fine with me you're a grown man entitled to his own opinion...I just asked a simple question if he noticed freezer burnt fish. Whether or not he did or didnt is up to you, I wasnt judging him or his fine laker personally.
    Thanks for the clarification. My apologies for taking your comment the wrong way. We have not noticed any unusual conditions of the fish we have caught this year. We have noticed the varied coloration on the char that we have pulled up but no freezer burnt fish as of yet.

I guess I've missed what's going on? I didn't take any offense about the comment...to add on to Jeff's comment we have noticed some beautiful orange tipped fins on the lakers as well. I always appreciate fellow forum members concerns about the handling of fish. We are pretty considerate IMO of taking care of the treasures that we get from Harding. If the Wx is too cold the photos will will be snapped from inside the hut (see Puttin' It to Work at -30 thread). And if we do go outside for a photo it's usually for just a couple secs and a couple of shots then a quick revival if necessary and back down they go. The pic in question was taken during a light snowfall with my old samsung digimax that I use for outdoor photos. Not gonna take my Canon EOS Rebel out on the ice...