View Poll Results: What is the longest range are you capable and willing to shoot at an animal

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100 yrds

2 1.23%
  • 200 yrds

9 5.56%
  • 250 yrds

8 4.94%
  • 300 yrds

41 25.31%
  • 350 yrds

26 16.05%
  • 400 yrds

36 22.22%
  • 450 yrds

6 3.70%
  • 500 yrds

14 8.64%
  • 600 yrds

9 5.56%
  • 700+ yrds

11 6.79%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what range shot would you take?

Default what range shot would you take?

I thought that in light of some of the treads that this poll might be interesting. Please share the details of your caliber of choice and bullet if possible and the distance that you are comfortable shooting at an animal. If you can and are willing share the longest shot as well.

This is a poll and info sharing so please refrain from any pot shots
    Semper Fi and God Bless

250 yards .300 Weatherby MAG 220grain, or 5 miles with missle, or 2 feet with rambo knife, Or just poke it in the eye with a stick.

250 yds with a .338 win mag, 210 grain nosler partitions.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I'd go to about 300yds. under ideal circumstances (no wind, good light, open terrain, solid rest) with my .300WSM firing 180ABs at 2950fps. I've shot targets on the range to that far and I'm pretty comfortable- the rifle is capable of sub-MOA to 300yds. If I did have a method of closing the distance I'd certainly do that first.

I usually won't fire over 100yds offhand, sitting will get me to 200-250 and anything over that is pretty much prone over a pack or a rest of some type.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

"capable" and "willing" speak to two distinctly different things, and should not be asked within the same question.

I am generally not wiling to shoot at animals beyond 200 or 300 yards, and my preference is less than 100 yards, regardless of what gun I'm using.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I did a moose at a little over 400 yards with open sites ( 338 ) first shot busted his knee, ajusted and the secound one knocked him over.

Would I do it again, the answer is no.

It was one of those kinda last day hunting and said to self what do I have to loose. lol That frist shot will live with me forever.

I have in the past(not a regular thing hunting, but at the target range quite regular) taken shots past 700 yards, once on an antelope doe ~1100 yards(hair over on the rangefinder, don't remember now). BUT these are all on bipod shooting sticks in great weather, no wind and in the case of the antelope, downhill. And yes, all my kills over 300 yards have been 1 shot bang, flop(or occasionally bang run 30-50 yards and tip over). Ironically, the few that have needed the follow up shot(s) have all been under 300 yards.
    Typically these are with a .270 shooting 130 gr bullets, but I practice with a .300 weatherby magnum out to 1,000 yards with 150 grain bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    ...first shot busted his knee...That first shot will live with me forever.
    Have done the same, and agree completely. Will never allow it to happen again. Doesn't mean a person's not capable, but rather that it's almost never necessary, and always avoidable.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

I shot a Dall Sheep at 407 yards and a goat at 387 yards with a 7mmSTW using 160 grain fail safe bullets. Both of these dropped dead in their tracks. I rested on my pack both times and probably would not feel overly confident to make a good shot offhand at much over 200 yards or so.

My answer reflects my ability and willingness...using a 30-30!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

How many posting here just shoot a couple of rounds a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It wouldn't matter if I shot 5000 rounds a year or only 500. Personally, I still wouldn't take a shot at an animal at more than a few hundred yards.
    #Resist

A Coyote at 200 yds with a Remington 788 in 22-250 with 52gr handload. A Mule Deer at about 300 yards uphill with a Savage 110 in 7 Rem Mag shooting 120gr Barnes X-Bullet at about 3300fps.
    Both shots were snap shots taken offhand. The yote died instantly and the deer ran about 20 yards. Those were not the norm and I prefer to take shots from a rest at reasonable ranges. A lot depends on the rifle. I have a Winchester 30-30 that I can shoot 4" five shot groups offhand with open sights at 100 yards. I was also very fortunate to be able to shoot High Power Silhouette twice a month for a few years which really honed my ability using a Remington Varmint Special in 7-08 with a Weaver T16. Having the trigger lightened to 2oz really helped me learn trigger control and the rifle would consistently shoot 1/2" groups.

I tend to agree with iofthetaiga on this one. Capable and willing are two different things. But generally speaking, I would say capable under normal conditions (flat terrain, minimal wind, accurate weapon etc.) of 300 yards, but not generally comfortable with shots over 200 yards. That being said, I might be inclined to take a 300 yard shot if no other shot was presented, and I was desperate enough to take the animal.

I won't shoot further than I can practice. I have 200 yards and use it regularly at our local range. I have a 300 yard spot that I shoot at about 1/3 of my practice rounds per year. I practice at 300 yards 100% prone. That said, I checked the 300 yard box and will willingly do that under good conditions with my 30-06 and 180 grain rounds.

I fired about 1500 rounds of centerfire rifle ammo last year and about double that in rimfire. That's an estimate on the number of primers and bricks of .22 I went through...

I've shot a bit on the 500yd and up range and I find it fun...but I'm not willing to shoot critters that far and haven't needed to yet.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

situation dependant....but i'd go 450 with the right gun/practice and conditions.
    wrong conditions and i don't like 100....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

400 - if I had my M-24 NGT 200 otherwise

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

400 is max for me, though I wouldnt use a Finn M-24 Mosin I cant use the original Mosin sight very well, I preferr the feel and sights on an Finn M-39 Mosin ~~LOL!!~~

Ribbin' there, ret25yo, Im suspectin' you mean a different 'M-24'
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

That's all it takes to fill my freezer no wasted money, time, or rounds. To be honest with you I filled our family's freezer with 2 shots.....1 for a moose, the other on a deer..... Pretty simple.... Best part was I backed my truck right up to the moose I dropped..... That's how it's done junior

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast