Thread: sand lake 1/8/2012

Default sand lake 1/8/2012

Went out in the lil snow storm this morning with my son and wife again. We managed 5 bows in bout 2 hrs or so. We had a bunch come off. I caught 1 and my son caught 4 on his spongebob pole lol

Just curious, what size hook is everyone using? I think mine might be a lil small.

Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    Went out in the lil snow storm this morning with my son and wife again. We managed 5 bows in bout 2 hrs or so. We had a bunch come off. I caught 1 and my son caught 4 on his spongebob pole lol

Just curious, what size hook is everyone using? I think mine might be a lil small.
    Size 6 works good for me. I've been usin glo jigs though and been killing the chars and bows out there. Was out there for bout 2 hrs and landed bout 9 chars and 17 bows

thanks for the heads up. We will be on the ice next week some time. ( weather permitting). How thick is the ice i only have a hand auger. Thanks.

I was there on Saturday with a hand auger and the ice depth was to the top of the blade. 21+ inches
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

i have a hand auger to its takes like 5 mins if u redrill someones hole. If you want ill prolly head out there sunday if the weather aint to bad. My son, wife and me went out there sunday in the snow storm and we only have fwd SUV aand we made it in and out in 12+ of snow. It was 15 degrees though. Last time we went it was -5. Just make sure your heater dont get wet. You have to walk bout 70yrds or so from where you park. Its easy to take your kid IMO. My son will be 3 in march and he loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter530 View Post
    Size 6 works good for me. I've been usin glo jigs though and been killing the chars and bows out there. Was out there for bout 2 hrs and landed bout 9 chars and 17 bows
    lol i must be doing something wrong. What kind glow jig r u using haha. shrimp or egg?

lol i must be doing something wrong. What kind glow jig r u using haha. shrimp or egg?
    Niether. Just the jig head with a glo In the dark tube and some shrimp glow scent on top of it. Flash it with a light and on your way to some violent strikes. Jig it, wiggle it, vibrate it. Fish hit so hard I actually lost a pole down the hole while letting the jig sit suspended. I might be back out this sat if nothing comes up. Id rather jig than bait any day. One pole with bait on the jaw jacker and one pole jigging. Jigs out fishes the jaw jacker 99 % of the time.

I hit the ice today for a couple hours before the coming snow dump. I C&R'd 10 bows, 3 char, and countless bites. I like using a small Gulp minnow with an egg then doing a slow jig. It's getting tougher to scavenge a hole with the past snows and wind and I hope I can talk the kiddo into going again this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSunRebel View Post
    I hit the ice today for a couple hours before the coming snow dump. I C&R'd 10 bows, 3 char, and countless bites. I like using a small Gulp minnow with an egg then doing a slow jig. It's getting tougher to scavenge a hole with the past snows and wind and I hope I can talk the kiddo into going again this weekend.
    glad to see you releasing them. I like to think the fish i release will put a smile on a kids face oneday.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter530 View Post
    Niether. Just the jig head with a glo In the dark tube and some shrimp glow scent on top of it. Flash it with a light and on your way to some violent strikes. Jig it, wiggle it, vibrate it. Fish hit so hard I actually lost a pole down the hole while letting the jig sit suspended. I might be back out this sat if nothing comes up. Id rather jig than bait any day. One pole with bait on the jaw jacker and one pole jigging. Jigs out fishes the jaw jacker 99 % of the time.
    Where did you find the tube jigs all i found were 5"s I got some lil grub worms. I wonder if they will work. ill prolly go out fri morning if anyone wants to come show me up.

sand lake definetly has some lunkers! persistance is key to being succsesful. now thar the whole beer can lake fiasco is over expect lots of preasure on sand lake...
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Where did you find the tube jigs all i found were 5"s I got some lil grub worms. I wonder if they will work. ill prolly go out fri morning if anyone wants to come show me up.
    Sportsman's Whorehouse has the 1 1/2 inch glow in the dark jig bodies.

isnt sand lake in anchorage?
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Sportsman's Whorehouse has the 1 1/2 inch glow in the dark jig bodies.
    They must have been sold out but idk i didnt see any last night.

Sand lake is in anchorage

I was there last week and they had like ten bags of them. They're on the wall near the glow in the dark jig heads. This was at S.W. in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I was there last week and they had like ten bags of them. They're on the wall near the glow in the dark jig heads. This was at S.W. in Anchorage.
    I got some glow jig heads but didnt see the tubes imma check back again this afternoon