Thread: Godevil or new Merc for jet boat

Default Godevil or new Merc for jet boat

Last summer I had problems with my 85 Merc & now its coming time to upgrade.

One of my clients told me about his Godevil doing such a great job on his boat that is larger than mine.

I have a 16 foot Alumaweld & just wondering if YOU would get a new 85 Merc or recomend the Godevil 35.

I have watched a lot of videos on the Godevil but NONE of them were in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Last summer I had problems with my 85 Merc & now its coming time to upgrade.

One of my clients told me about his Godevil doing such a great job on his boat that is larger than mine.

I have a 16 foot Alumaweld & just wondering if YOU would get a new 85 Merc or recomend the Godevil 35.

I have watched a lot of videos on the Godevil but NONE of them were in Alaska.
    Here is the definitive site for mudmotors and boats: http://www.mudmotortalk.com/mmt_v2/index.php

Spend some time here and learn more than I could ever tell you. Use the search function and learn the basics, then if you want, these creative and resourceful folks down in Louisiana have hard earned advice and remedies that will save you DAYS of anguish. Good folks they are. Great library of videos of mud boats in action and where they take these things will surprise you. And no riveted beer can boats are those either, typically 5086 .1875/.25 alloy tanks, long and relatively narrow and flat bottomed.

The mudmotor is a simple 4 cycle power plant that produces x hp @ x rpm without any bells and whistles to speak of. If you like simple lawnmower style power, this is for you. Designed for continuous use, these are very hearty engines and field repairable in all but catastrophic instances. Very dependable, easy to care for and maintain, and great power to weight ratio all things considered. The out drive choice is the big consideration as the operating environment will dictate which one will serve you the best in the most situations.

Jet drive OB's and IB's have their place but when you have to downsize & max capacity in super skinny water, don't think either will go where the mudmotors will take you.

WOW, lots of info on that site, thanks

I've had jet ob and godevils and mudbuddie. 35 hp mudbuddie surface drive and smaller 6 hp and 9 hp. I think the choice depends on what you want to use it for. Neither type will go where the boat won't float. I personally believe the vids you see of mud motors going though heavy mud with no water on top are a hoax and that mud must be so soupy and watery that it is much like going though thick water. You can get though mud, etc sometimes with a running start and momentum taking you though. They will not power though thick, heavy mud. The primary advantage of mud motors is they don't get clogged with sand, silt, and mud that jets would normally pick up and get clogged with, causing overheating and lots of time on the bank taking apart the cooling system to wash it out. Also, I ran a lot on silt in the tide flats and shallow rivers where the prop runs in the silt/sand for long periods. Those $275 props can go from 12" diameter to 9" in a matter of a very few hours, then they are near worthless.

Rocky rivers and streams are different. Mud motors will go though them, but bang, bang, bang. Every rock they hit is telegraphed up the handle and heard across the river. Where the mud motors really shine is Jim Creek and swampy areas like that. Going though grass, weeds, etc is great, blades never wear out of you stay away from the sand. Thin ice they also run though very well without clogging up the intake. I won't say that one type is better then the other, just depends where you want to go. I have spend hours of back breaking pushing of my boat using both when you get a heavy boat stopped in a inch of water and sitting on the bottom.

My boat of choice now is a airboat, it goes where none of the above will ever touch, including over dry land, however, I have still spend my share of time getting it unstuck, but a lot further in then with the others. Next one I am looking at 500 hp to push it further in. Bud
    Wasilla

Good post.Thanks for sharing.I like it very much.

That was one of my greatest concearns with a godevil type motor is the rocky bottoms of our rivers up here.

Ya they can go through Mud but can they handle the Glacial silt & constant hitting of shallow rocks & shallow gravel bars.

The Videos all show mud & shallow to deap water but non show stuck on a gravelbar.

talk to stur varner in north pole.........
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......