Thread: Trail Lakes in Moose Pass

Default Trail Lakes in Moose Pass

Anyone ever ice fish the Trail Lakes (upper or lower) near Moose Pass?

I tried down by the outlet a few years ago in early March....nary a nibble. Tried eggs, shrimp and various jigs with and without sweetening with bait. That being said, I have a friend who was engaged to the son of one of the original homesteaders in the area. He told her that there are good sized lake trout in there. I have not put in the time moving around there, but is in my bucket list of to try places.

I tried it once several years ago without any luck.
    that being said we had intended to snowmachine around the lake to hunt for some better fishing but due to lack of snow on the ice at the time we walked out and didn't really go that far on foot.
    I am sure a person could find some decent lakers in there as well as some rainbows.
    They are bigger lakes so it could take a few trips to dial them in.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I was selling crafts at the Solstice Festival In Moose Pass summer before last, and I got to visiting with an older lady who had lived there in the 50s. She told me that she and her husband used to go up to Tern Lake, grab a bunch of "minnows" through the ice with a net, then use them as live bait to catch lakers in Trail Lake. She said that there were some large ones in there. I do not believe an 80-something woman would have any reason to mislead me.

I have fished it and caught a bunch of small lakers, but nothing major. It was a bit disappointing. But since it is connected to Kenai Lake, what are the chances of big lakers being in Kenai Lake?

akwchil...where abouts were you finding them? How deep? What bait/lure? What month? I heard there is a hole way over on the inlet side of the upper trail lake by the railroad bridge.

I was fishing lower trail, when I say nothing big we are talking about fish that were 2lbs or less. Since we are on the subject though and there have been a few other posts of other saying that there are bigger or larger lakers available, what size are we talking about? Especially Sayak, I'm curious what the old timers were calling larger fish, especially in laker terms.

Has anyone been able to find a depth map or bathymetric map of the lake?

Quote Originally Posted by akwchil View Post

Has anyone been able to find a depth map or bathymetric map of the lake?
    I have looked and looked and looked, have not been able to find one. Also wondering if anyones found a Bathymetric map for Upper and Lower Trail Lakes?
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I was selling crafts at the Solstice Festival In Moose Pass summer before last, and I got to visiting with an older lady who had lived there in the 50s. She told me that she and her husband used to go up to Tern Lake, grab a bunch of "minnows" through the ice with a net, then use them as live bait to catch lakers in Trail Lake. She said that there were some large ones in there. I do not believe an 80-something woman would have any reason to mislead me.
    my only thought is that how does a lake like that, with easy road access hold no fishing pressure off for 50+ years... They must have all been fished out. Spoke to a biologist and said that 5lbs would be considered a big fish on that lake now.

Yeah, I don't know. It seems that glacial lakes produce smaller fish, at least on the Kenai Peninsula.
    We all know that lakers take a long time to grow; perhaps they were overfished at one point and are still recovering.

My back yard, I live on Trail River between Lower Trail and Kenai lakes. I've always been able to catch a few lakers in the winter through the ice on lower Trail, never had much luck in the summer. Now in the summer we can usually catch a few at the mouth of the river near the campground as well as the mouth of Ptarmigan creek.