Thread: Birch lake Ice fishing weekend

Default Birch lake Ice fishing weekend

Me and a buddy went to Birch lake this past weekend and had a blast fishing for Rainbows. I think all in all we kept 4 and one char. This was both of our first time ice fishing, so we went out with a manual auger and rented one of the state ice huts on birch. I have to say it was a blast, and I will most definitely be hitting the lake again soon.

The first time inspired a lot of questions as y'all can imagine. I was wandering how deep most of you guys usually fish. I think I was jigging at about 6 feet pretty much the whole time using white mister twisters with shrimp. I could see the lure pretty much the whole time. It seemed as if there were some pretty good fish in there, but one of the problems that I kept having was that the shrimp fell off my hook. I rebaited the entire time so it was like my pole was out of the water more so than in.

Also, I suppose it is better to keep away from the hole as much as possible? We would occasionally look at our lures and when we did so, it seems they weren't biting as much.

Anyway, all in all we had a good time and didn't get skunked on our first outing. (even though it was a blind leading the blind sort of trip)

It seemed as if there were some pretty good fish in there, but one of the problems that I kept having was that the shrimp fell off my hook. I rebaited the entire time so it was like my pole was out of the water more so than in.

Good on ya. One thing you can do is use a strip of squid cut to the shape of an MLB pennent flag. It cuts down on the overall bulk of the mister twister, has a great action and stays on a long time. Just change it every so often. If the bite gets slow, chum some salmon roe down the hole. I don't know if you can get the squid up in FB, but you can get it in ANC. CDM

Don't buy the cooked shrimp but use raw shrimp instead it will stay on the hook much better.

Thanks for the advise. I will try that out.