Thread: Ice fishing chairs???

Default Ice fishing chairs???

What do you use?

I started out with the fold into a sock tube canvas and aluminum but with my bit butt lower than my knees getting up was tough cause I was reclined. So, I got some of the traditional lawn chairs and they worked for a bit with the somewhat sturdy arm rest but the aluminum angle folded. I found some poly folding chair and they work fine but I am affraid that in the (real) cold they will explode. They are very stiff and need some power to set up and take down.

I mostly use them in the tent with the wife but sometimes in the open by myself. Anyone come up with a good light weight chair for stiff water?

George

P.S. Sorry but woke up at 3am and need something to do so here I am.

I also don't like those chairs where your rear end is lower than your knees as it does make getting up tough on the knees and mine are starting to wear out at my age. I have used many chairs over the years and have found one that I like. It is a few inches taller than most so when you are sitting on it, you don't have to strain to get up. It is compact and lightweight and has held up well so far this year. I got it at Sportsmans and I think it was around $25.

I like the little, wood and canvas camp chairs (the kind that fold out to an X shape). I beef them up with wire at the joints. They seem to stow just about anywhere in one's fishing sled.

I've never found anything better than the little folding ice fishing chairs made by HT. They are cheap and easy to pack. Available at Trustworthy and probably SW. Good chairs.

The 3-legged ones from Eskimo look even better, but I've yet to see them available locally, so I've never tried one.

Of course the easiest chair is a padded cap for a 5-gallon bucket. Then you get a nice storage compartment to go along with it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I've never found anything better than the little folding ice fishing chairs made by HT. They are cheap and easy to pack. Available at Trustworthy and probably SW. Good chairs.

The 3-legged ones from Eskimo look even better, but I've yet to see them available locally, so I've never tried one.

Of course the easiest chair is a padded cap for a 5-gallon bucket. Then you get a nice storage compartment to go along with it.
    The Eskimo chairs tear at the corners, and mine are all sewn up. I like to pack buckets too when I am walking in, and it is possible to buy those organizers which nest inside and outside the buckets. There are comfy pads too. But I find that it's kind of a hassle to get up and dig for something that you want from inside them when you are fishing. But those are just my opinions and experience, and may not necessarily be a fact for everyone (S).

I sit on my snowmachine.

My snowmachine doesn't go inside my tent too well.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    My snowmachine doesn't go inside my tent too well.
    I only use my Eskimo when I have to. I hate the thought of sitting on a box and not seeing the wilderness around me. If it is that cold, I will ride or work on the cabin. I still want a 5X8 hardside......with windows.

I love sitting inside on a cozy chair, out of the wind, next to my Buddy heater in my T-shirt while looking out the windows and door at the wilderness around me and having a nice dark cover over the hole so as not to spook the fish away and also allow a crystal clear view down into the water.

It's all in your perspective.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    ... having a nice dark cover over the hole so as not to spook the fish away and also allow a crystal clear view down into the water.

It's all in your perspective.
    I LOVE being able to look down that hole and see fish (or that there is no fish). And yes, I do use a fish finder as well, especially in deep or murky water.

bucket.jpg
    Here's what I find comfy

Either a hammock or a fold down bunk.