Thread: Smart fox

Default Smart fox

I got a call The other day from an old friend of mine asking me to come over and rid some foxs from there neighborhoo. Sounds kinda easy... Wrong I was. first off to make it so easy there are houses. Near by, can't set trap to many dogs in the area, not aloud to shoot the gun near the dogs. Seen the track the fox's have some guts they will walk right into the kennel not even blink to take food from the dogs. Can't get them to come to a call thinking they are having it to easy right now so thre being lazy I've set up a pile of the dog teams normal food at the closet point I'm aloud well see if they find it with any luck I'll get ahold of them. any one ever have this happen to them? Or any other ideas o and there normal route they foxs come in I can't sit on to close to the dogs and privit property and the two neighbors aren't best friend to say the least

we always make a big gut pile every year during butchering time and there is always a bunch of critters commin i to um, but any time we see them by the time I can get into gun range they take off. what kind of call are you using? set up a trail camera too, just to see when they are traveling, if its at 2 AM the neighbors probably won't be happy to you poplin off a round then.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

That's when they hear the dogs barking around 12 to 4 in the morning and can turn the light on to see the foxes run awayI'm usein a few different hand calls and I have a fox pro firestorm tried snowshoe distress and vole squeaks with both types of calls

Them fox are tricky. My wife has been battling a huge cross at the lodge the last 4 nights. Keeps stealing the bait and missing the trap. We don't have to worry about neighbors in our area. What I do when I'm in your situation is use snares. A domesticated dog will 99.9% of the time just stand there and not pull on a snare, as they think they are tied up. It is going to be tough to get them to come to a bait pile when food is so accessible. You can put some rat traps around the food pile they are going to and that will scare them out of there after awhile.

Anyhow, good luck!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

If you have access to any 4" x 4" wire fencing (or something like that) put a small fence around the dog food pile, and cut a hole just big enough for the fox to squeeze through in two places. Being it is a "Town fox" the wire most likely will not bother him. Let the fox get a free meal or two, then hang a snare in front of each hole. You can modify the fence a little if you prefer to use a leg hold and put the trap inside you "fence" if you are away from dogs just allow the access to bait through a small fox size hole until they start to use it then a 220 or snare in the hole will work well. ~Mist~

Snares would be good! But with that said I'm a little bold sometimes. I would pull out some #1.5LS that I use for water trapping normally. Not my normal choice for fox but they do hold them without any issues. I've got fox in them along with my 45 pound english springer spaniel, he pulled out the fox didn't. Just remember always anchor for bear incase you do get a dog that holds, you don't want him taking the trap home. Put a rope around its neck, tie it off so he can't turn on you. Undo the trap and cut the rope. When the dog goes back with a rope around its next they may think twice about just letting it run. If you are on your property you should be fine. If you do get a fox in the trap and don't want to use a CB cap out of your 22 (really quiet) just use a big stick or a snare.

What about a live trap, get one of them and get your fox. Then take it where you need to and shoot it. Just a thought.

Or call the turtleman!!

The Turtleman!!!! That guy is something else for sure.

Do the neighbors let their dogs run all day and night? If they put them in at night, I'd trap the area like crazy and trip them in the mornings. Chances are the foxes aren't coming into the area if dogs are around, or are they? They're probably moving at night would be my guess. Foxes in my neighborhood are always on the move from 9PM until 4AM it seems from what I've seen from fresh tracks.

The dogs in the area don't run around the owners don't want traps in the area because don't want to have to chance of an accidental trap of there dog. I've got a bait pile out so well see what happens might be spending the night in the tree and see what happens tonight