Thread: Accubond question

Default Accubond question

I picked up a 300 SAUM this fall for a song (model 7 stainless) and decided to get a little more serious about reloading tech. So I picked up a OAL gauge with a 300 SAUM blank and a tarted measuring overall length with specific bullets. Various bullets all seamed to measure out just over the cartridge OAL by 0.03 to 0.02. Then I stuck a 165g Accubond in the blank and pushed it in to the chamber and pushed and pushed and pushed until the bullet met the lands. Its well over 0.1 of an inch longer than the OAL.
    The 165g Accubond is nearly 0.25 longer than a Speer 165g Grandslam.
    Looking at the Accubond sitting in the blank cartridge it looks like there is only 0.25 to 0.30 of the bullet remaining in the neck. I did not measure it but it appears that the Accubond loaded "just off the lands" will probably not fit in the magazine of the model 7.

My question is what have other users of Accubonds found for how long these bullets are and their subsequent loading with respect to the cartridge OAL?

How far off the lands are you pulling Accubonds back?

I ended up loading my 300WSM to max OAL for the magazine and calling it good. No idea how far from the lands but it isn't touching.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Accubonds are long and lean... i've heard Remington mags aren't very long. You may be limited by the mag length but it might not matter. Mt buddies 338rum is that way. The chamber will allow a longer round than the mag will. load some to spec and see how they shoot.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Accubonds are long and lean... i've heard Remington mags aren't very long. You may be limited by the mag length but it might not matter. Mt buddies 338rum is that way. The chamber will allow a longer round than the mag will. load some to spec and see how they shoot.
    barnes and hornady "copper" bullets share this similar problem. as snyd already mentioned.......see how they shoot. setting your cartridges " off the lands " is an accuracy enhancer. sometimes it is helpful, sometimes not. try your cartridges to fit and feed from your magazine, or you may end up with a single shot rifle.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I ended up loading my 300WSM to max OAL for the magazine and calling it good. No idea how far from the lands but it isn't touching.
    Also found that with 200gr Accubonds in the 338WM. Magazine of the Mod70 Extreme Weather limited OAL.

I had the same problem in the 300 RUM Rem 700. No where near the lands and all out of room in the magazine. The 200g shot ok, but not as well as the Etip, so that was my hunting load. The accubond's close cousin the Scirroco 2 were even worse, and I could not get them to shoot well. I had a situation where I was playing with COL and got good accuracy .07 to the lands and good accuracy .2+ off the lands as well in the same gun with the same powder load and primers. Go forth and conquer.

I just loaded up some Hornaday SSTs for my Browning rifle. Turns out in order to fit them int he mag have to be .120 off the lands. We'll see how this shoots.

If you are limited by your magazine then there isn't much you can do. Play with some different types of powders and see how it shoots. I ran into the same situation using some Barnes TTSX's in a 300 WSM. They are well off of the lands but it still shoots sub MOA so you never know how each rifle will like it. I'm going to start working up a load for some .338's, one in a Mark II one in an X-bolt. I'll let you know how far off the lands I end up with them and how they shoot.

Most factory rifles are long throated in relation to their mag capacity, I'm guessing to avoid any possibility (liability) of jamming a load into the lands and having a chamber failure. I've seen this with Howa's, Remmys, Rugers and Sako. This is true with the longer, pointy, higher BC bullets. That's just the way it is. So you either load to fit the mag, or the chamber (single shot) or do some adjustments to the mag (if possible), or get a custom barrel.

One of the first things that I do when I start to reload for a particular rifle is measure the magazine length since frequently (in fact very frequently) the overall length of a loaded round is determined by the mag length. Often a round can be loaded to "just off" - your choice of length - the lands, but can not be loaded into the mag, so that if one one wants more than a single shot, the COL is determined by the mag measurements. Sort of the way it is with off the shelf rifles. With custom rifles one can have the gunsmith chamber your barrel to accommodate whatever length is appropriate and then install an extended mag to accommodate this COL...at least that is the way it is supposed to work. As noted above, often magazine length COL's will shoot MOA or better.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"