Thread: Did Ruger stop making shotguns?

Default Did Ruger stop making shotguns?

I was looking on Rugers site to see what models of Red Labels they are still making, and noticed the shotgun section is no longer on there. Did they stop making shotguns?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

According to their site, the last year of Red Label production was 2011. http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

That is a Bummer.

I agree, it's a bummer. The Red Label is a fine shotgun. I may need to grab one NIB before they fade away. Reviews on them are good but Browning holds a very large chunk of the sporting clays market.

I wonder if they are working up a cheaper one? That seems to be the trend lately...

I just wish I could have gotten my hands on a gold label before they stopped making them. I guess I will have to go down and get a 20 gauge red label while they are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I guess I will have to go down and get a 20 gauge red label while they are still around.
    Do it. Especially with the 26" barrel it's about the best handling 20 I've owned, and I've owned lots including Browning. If you have uses for a 28, snag one of those too because they're much the same. I've owned several of the 12's, trying different configurations, and just never warmed to it. But that 20 and 28.... Wow.

Yea the Ruger 20ga. is the way to go .I have both 12 & 20 Red lable ,the 12ga just seems to be heavy in the front or barrel heavy, even though it's a 26" . But the 20ga 28" barrel is a natrual pointer, thought about selling the 12ga ,but if they are not going to make them any more.Best to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    ...the 12ga just seems to be heavy in the front or barrel heavy, even though it's a 26" .
    And I thought I was the only one who felt that way!!!!

The balance of the 20 is so much better, it's almost like it's a different model. I have one I bought back in the first year or production (late 1970's?) and another I bought 3 or 4 years ago. Only way you can tell them apart is the skuff marks.

I wonder when they will drop the blued /walnut No. 1 rifles? I think they have already dropped the SS /plastic ones (not a great loss IMO.)

Ruger seems to be concentrating more on the current hot sellers and getting away from the classics although they still do make some nice high end 77s.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    And I thought I was the only one who felt that way!!!!

The balance of the 20 is so much better, it's almost like it's a different model. I have one I bought back in the first year or production (late 1970's?) and another I bought 3 or 4 years ago. Only way you can tell them apart is the skuff marks.
    I agree as well, I had 2 12's and 2 20's and down to 1 20 - 26in I think, F/M - been thinking of selling it to help pay some med bills - its like yours late 70's very early 80's and used. Anybody got $750.. burning a hole in your pocket? great youth gun for sure...
    Been in the back of the safe for a few years - last I recall it was in great shape - bluing worn pretty thin in front of trigger guard from being cradeled in my hand. Dumped many a rooster and dove with it...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....