Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Felt... What Cha' buyin"

Default No Felt... What Cha' buyin"

I've got really bad knees and have been using felt for years in order to not "tweek" them so bad I can't hardly walk. With the new regulations what are your opinions of the new technology in rubber for wader boots without felt. I'm leaning toward the Korkers with detachable studs. What other Quality boots are out there these days?

I've always managed to get by with well used jungle boots. Are the studs steel? I would almost think they would be pretty slick on rock.

I went with Korkers CHROME with interchangeable soles.

Only complaint is the little sleeves for the BOA cable have a nasty habit of creeping out of their tunnels.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Pataguchi river walkers sticky!

This will be my third season with these they are the lightest most comfortable wading boots I've ever owned, worth the extra pennies!

http://www.patagonia.com/?ln=305

Danmiotke,

Im interested in what pair of Patigonia's you have? You link goes to the front page. Ive been thinking about getting the Korker Chromes but Patigonia's look like nice boots. If they make boots like they make the rest of their gear they should be outstanding.

Thanks

I am just having my Simms boots re-soled with streamtreads. My wife's Simms boots have the tread already and she didn't notice too much difference from the felt- except when on the mossy rocks. If I find them too slippery for some of the water I can always slip on some ice cleats. A guy I fish with used Korkers this last year and he liked them although they were getting worn out after one season.

I use Korkers too and love them
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I'll be going to Korkers, though not such which pair yet. I jsut wish someone still made a boot with some actual ankle support like teh original Cabela's Guide boots. Everything now is a basketball shoe, I want a BOOT!!!!

Make sure you dont order them online..Korkers run smalllll...I wear a size 10 in normal shoes and 12's in korkers
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I've had Korkers with the interchangeable soles since the original cloth laces, and switched to the cable system when that came out. I always keep the carbide spiked/rubber soles in so I'm good for any conditions. Each time I have bought them, I have done so at one of the winter fly shows directly from Korkers and usually the additional carbide soles are thrown in without charge. Since buying the original pair, all of my fishing buddies have followed suit and we're all satisfied. When ordering, I go 2 sizes larger than my normal shoe size. I like being able to slide my foot in and out with ease and also there is a good bit more room for an extra pair of socks if needed. If you can't wiggle my toes, the boots are too tight and your feet will get cold.

Quote Originally Posted by steelguy View Post
    switched to the cable system when that came out. .
    How do you like the cable system compared to laces? I am leaning toward getting a pair. Where do they sell these in Anchorage. Like Chuck said, I want to try on a pair before I sink that kind of money into a new pair of wader boots (Especially when I still have 3 pairs of felt boots in great shape sitting in the garage).

What is the difference between the Chrome and the Metalhead versions of these Korker wader boots?
    Last edited by Alaskan Fly Guy; 01-09-2012 at 14:02. Reason: Added question

I tried both and the Chrome just gave me a more comfortable fit.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Can't help but wonder if all the new comfortable wading boots with their padded linings and perforated shells aren't capable of acting as a microbe transportation medium almost as effectively as felt is...?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Can't help but wonder if all the new comfortable wading boots with their padded linings and perforated shells aren't capable of acting as a microbe transportation medium almost as effectively as felt is...?
    Bingo. Don't forget all the migrating water birds that have been mentioned to cause localized transport between watersheds.

A fisheries consultant I met down in northern Utah keeps two pairs of boots in his truck along with a bucket of lightly bleached water. After each stream survey he takes one pair out of the bucket and puts the just used pair in. He also sprays his wader feet and legs with bleach water.

This reminds me I need to find some korker inserts for my kid's boots now that its 2012. I found men's 5 and 6 korker boots on sale at Serria Trading post two years ago, but they did not have the studded rubber soles in those sizes. I have to get them from Korker directly. She is not likely to out grow or wear out the size 6 boots so the $50 investment should keep her happy for years to come.

Just called Sportmens Warehouse yesterday and they have the Korker Metalheads for $179.99. Quite a bit to pay in this economy when most of us have a few felt pair in the garage in great shape. But a guys got to do, what a guys got to do, to get out there and get after it! And I'm one of them!

Korkers all the way. I have the rubber sole with the studs as well, I actually notice them gripping a whole lot better then felt bottoms. The only drawback is I can't wear them in my raft, so I have to switch out to plain rubber soles each time I take the raft down the river. Definitely worth the $$$. I think it might get a pair just for rafting this next season, so I don't have to keep switching soles out, but that's just me being lazy.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I wear Korkers and love them. Not only are they great where you can change out the sole to whatever sole you need but the Boa cable is extremely fast to tighten up. Also, trying to untie forzen laces after fishing in the winter just suck. The last day I wore my old wading boots with laces was last winter when I had to cut the laces with a knife to remove them. They were completely frozen. lol

I've been tempted to buy Korkers in the past, but my Cloudveils with aquatread are still fairing well. I do know that I have had 3 different clients in the past few years have the system that holds the interchangeable soles in place fail. To the point they flopped loose. Not a big deal with the warranty and roadside access. I bit of a rectal pain when on a remote trip however.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

went in on a pair of Simms Rivershed Vibram sole boots about a year and a half ago. Awesome! Heard great things about Korker Metalheads too...

Sapper in the Skies

I just got my Simms Guide boots in the mail, so I'll try them out this weekend and see how they work. I've been wearing felt for well over a decade, I'm a little nervous.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast