Thread: Moose stomp first aid

Default Moose stomp first aid

Today my dog got stomped by a moose

she came across my yard to get at him while he was coming back to my call, instincts told her her best defense was a good offense I guess

she got him once and left a dime sized hole in his hide must have caught him with the very tip of her hoof

it goes all the way through ALL hide and into the back of his upper leg (the first meaty part)

I felt all the bones and moved his leg and even felt fairly firmly all around the wound and he doesn't even wince, but 12 hours later he will still put NO weight on it except when he absolutely has to to steady himself

anyhow we have him on 3/4 asprin tablet every 12 hours and some 3AB cream on the wound

I'm thinking to give it a couple days and hope he slowly gets better

wound bled for a while then stopped totally but now seems to be weeping slightly after we put the ointment on

I figure this kind of injury is not uncommon for mushers hence my asking for advice here

I just got done with $800 of cancer surgery for my 6 year old lab (successful it looks like)
    so if I don't need $100+ vet bill to just advise rest and aspirin I'd like to avoid it
    closed til Monday anyhow

how long is it common for dogs to stay "off" a leg???

Thanks!!!

From my mushing partner: That muscle will be sore. If the dog does not seem to have a broken leg then let it rest and watch for infection. Bad smelling drainage or thick nasty drainage will need antibiotics. Otherwise just let him rest.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Got any rimadyl laying around? When my dog got stomped by a moose we gave her rimadyl for a few days for the soreness. It helped a lot.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Thanks! Didn't have any rymadl but the first day we gave him 3/4 of an aspirin every 12 hours and by the second day he was on his leg. The second day he was on his leg which was hard to believe. The wound is deep and hollow under the skin for about 2" in diameter. Keeping him from licking it is a challenge even with the "cone of shame". We did buy a nylon fabric one which he seems to tolerate pretty well. Like you said keeping an eye on the discharge which so far has been clear and not funky smelling. Hope it starts to dry out and fill in soon!! Thanks!!!

Poor thing. Keep us posted on his progress.

Asprin I believe is not good to give to a dog,some have adverse reaction. But you can give up to 25 milligrams of tramadol to a medium to large dog. I know this after my dog had a puncture type injury in the leg and a lot of research.Took a while to use it, like the next day he wouldn't stay in car and wanted to go out and help round up cattle.
    Dan.

No, you can give aspirin to dogs, just not Ibuprofen, Naproxen, or acetaminophen.