Thread: Sport jet 175 or upgrade for Sport Jon?

Default Need help deciding on Sport Jon Motor

I just bought a 21' sport Jon that needs a new motor. The sport jet 175 has 2 small holes in the block from the previous owner. Does anyone know a good source for a replacement power head, or know if I can upgrade to a 200 or possibly a 4 stroke motor.

I would recommend replacing with a new 200hp sportjet powerhead. I believe it will bolt right up to your existing pump, although I don't know for sure. You don't want to go with the 4 stroke 160hp Yamaha, as this would mean also replacing the pump and this is not a good combo for your 21' boat. It would be way underpowered IMO.

For the $$$ and the long run, you cannot beat this option and they mate to most all popular outdrives:

http://www.fnmalaska.net/index.html

Off road/dyed diesel is cheap here.... Enormous savings in fuel costs and torque like you cannot fathom.

Sounds like you need a sport jet power head, if the pump is serviceable. There are used ones around or yer local merc dealer would order you a new one......I would think the 200 opti would bolt on....A competent merc dealer would know. Have you asked?
    Heres some used stuff, they are out there if you have time to chase them down..
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...688172455.html
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Upgrading to a 200 would mean replacing the pump too. 175 and 200 sj pumps are pretty different. As well you'd have to mount the mufflers somewhere. If the 175 is enough power/performance for your boat then look at a new head. I think you can get them for just a couple grand. Then move your parts over to it.

Where are you located? Dave at Cascade Marine (425-303-0200) has 175 build-able core...

Quote Originally Posted by Kcj View Post
    I just bought a 21' sport Jon that needs a new motor. The sport jet 175 has 2 small holes in the block from the previous owner. Does anyone know a good source for a replacement power head, or know if I can upgrade to a 200 or possibly a 4 stroke motor.
    KCJ, in order to switch to the 200 you will have to change out the entire package which will come with the new high skew stainless impeller made for the 200 SJ. The guys a Phantom just completed some thorough test of the new impeller and Im told the new high skew is a great improvement over the older version built for the 250. It's standard now on all new SJs. The power head isn't interchangeable with the 175. The cheapest route would be to find a rebuilt 175 power head for sure but if you decide to swap the entire package pm me for price quote.

Default A Project Anyone?

If you're into something like a project and you're handy with all things marine and mechanical, find a good 200 SJ pump, do away with the 90 degree geared drive with a straight through conversion, find a good late model Subaru thats been rearended and shoehorn that motor in there. You'll have gobs of horsepower, good economy, dependable as the dickens, and quiet. Ever been done before? If this 'ol dumb country boy has thought of it, then probably. There's a whole lot of guys out there a lot smarter and handier than me. Besides, it would be a fun project. I know, I know, summers coming. Cheapest way is, as mentioned, find a 175 powerhead and drop it on there, done. The 175 is a good engine, been around a long time, in-field service doable (it's carbureted etc) but is a bit of a gas hog as opposed to the 200. Be aware its noisier than the 200 Opti by a fair margin as well and there's very little you can do to help with that problem because the exhaust exits through the jet, not through mufflers, among other concerns.

My last thought-better be aware or at least look for the gremlin that caused the 175 you have to need replacing or you might just be doing it twice.

find a used or rebuilt powerhead and bolt it back onto your pump. i had an 05 seark predator sport jet with a 175 and i loved it! yeah it might not get as good of fuel mileage as a 200 but the power is so close that its not worth buying a new 200 and a pump. just my .02 from my experience. oh yeah make sure the 175 you get is newer then a 2000!

Talking Counter rotating impeller

Quote Originally Posted by OzAK View Post
    If you're into something like a project and you're handy with all things marine and mechanical, find a good 200 SJ pump, do away with the 90 degree geared drive with a straight through conversion, find a good late model Subaru thats been rearended and shoehorn that motor in there. You'll have gobs of horsepower, good economy, dependable as the dickens, and quiet. Ever been done before?
    Yeah, but not with a Subaru engine. It's amazing how little things like the impeller spinning backwards can throw ya for a loop Hey, don't ask me how I know

on craigslists.org in anchorage and alaskaslist.org is a 175 motor with pump for sale

Thanks for the info, I dissected the old motor last night. Looks like cylinder #3 rod came loose and caused incredible destruction. Not sure of the actual cause. I did buy a 2006 SJ175 with the pump and only 70 hrs today. Should bolt right up. Any ideas what caused the original problem with the old motor?