Thread: building a canoe

Default building a canoe

My son approached me and wants to start a father son project. He wants us to build a canoe together. This would be my first attempt at this. I am somewhat of a craftsman but never never built a boat. Would definately need plans. Any help in this would be great. We would like to build a canoe that is 16-17 feet with a square back. Does not have to be a fancy cedar strip one.

Any ideas, hints, and how to advice would be helpful. Really looking forward to this, think it would be great for my son and I to do this.

hey m&d hunter,
    for a 1st time builder a kit is not a bad way to go.
    if you want google pygmy boats or chesapeake light craft.
    there is a lot of info on the construction on both sites.
    for a home builder i feel that stitch and glue,cedar strip or skin on frame are the way to go.
    good luck and holler if i can help at all

I built a ceder strip one a few years ago, only a 12 footer, would have been better as a kayak, but still, it served me well!
    There are several great books and internet resources on it, great winter project and learn from the first one, correct the deficiencies on the second one.

Enjoy,

Don't know the age of your son, but my experience with father/son projects is they need to be short term or they loose interest and move on to something else before the project is done. Examples for me were train sets, model airplanes, tree houses and countless motorcycle projects and a couple jeeps...none of which were completed before something else came along like football, soccer and girls. The boys were none the worst for it but it sure cost me a lot of money and time....but time with the kids is well spent.!!

I wish you better luck!!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

My son is 20 and the problem I have with him is a full time student, full time employee, and one weekend a month in the guard. Now he is studying to become a warrant and go to helicopter school for the guard.

He just mentioned that he wanted a canoe. We could buy one cheaper I am sure just thought it would be good memories to build one together so when he is out on a river or lake he would have the memory of building it with his dad.

Thanks for the help--- just curious how much some of you have spent on your builds.

There are a couple on this site https://www.boatdesigns.com/Human-Power/departments/8/ I bought my drift boat plans from them, and love that they are full size so you don't haft to worry about lofting the first go around. The customer service and price are great as well. Good luck, and enjoy!!

I'bve built 2, a 17 ft and a 12 ft. My daughters were involved and helped. I've got books and pictures from when we made the big one and am more than willing to share. If you are near Anchorage wwe can talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    I'bve built 2, a 17 ft and a 12 ft. My daughters were involved and helped. I've got books and pictures from when we made the big one and am more than willing to share. If you are near Anchorage wwe can talk.

Bill:

I live in Eagle River-- would love to see/talk-- think we have about decided to go with a 15-16 foot Rob Roy -- stitich and glue model for our first one and then branch out to a 17 foot Huron for a second boat if we dare. The stitch and glue method I am told is a first easy boat to build some confidence and skill--plus pretty cheap so when we mess up not terribly expensive. The second requires a jig and form -- either way it will be good times with my oldest as life, work and chores get in the way of quality time and plus he just told me he may be going to Afganistan next year-- time is precious so any boat build will be a pleasure.

Chiming in a little late on this, but here is a website that sells plans for a couple different square stern canoes:

http://www.selway-fisher.com/Mcanoe.htm

They have a 12'-6" and a 15' model that both use the stitch and glue plywood method that look pretty nice.

I have had my eye on the Pygmy Taiga for some time now. It is a 17 foot tripper. I built one of their sea kayaks out their kit with stitch and glue and African mahogany. This style of construction is very strong for the weight, not to mention beautiful. The trim could be out of something unusual to make it your own.

mdh,

Dont let a stripper spook you, they are quite easy to build! If you get your hands on gil gilpatricks book and the one bear moutain boats sells, you'll see quite quickly two different aproaches...ie stems are not a required item (no steam bending) which really isnt terribly hard either with the right woods. You wont regret doing a stripper!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    mdh,

Dont let a stripper spook you, they are quite easy to build! If you get your hands on gil gilpatricks book and the one bear moutain boats sells, you'll see quite quickly two different aproaches...ie stems are not a required item (no steam bending) which really isnt terribly hard either with the right woods. You wont regret doing a stripper!
    But the chair rails can sure be tuff!!!!!!!!!