Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my 2010 ram home!!!

Default Got my 2010 ram home!!!

Finally got my sheep back from the taxi and on the wall,the pics didn't turn out the best it sure looks better in person!

interesting.. who was the taxi?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Nice. How old? How big? I am seeing 8 1/2 annuli. Is that correct?

Last frontier taxidermy did the work,and he was 36 1/2 8 years old

Kotton,

Everyone is going to be polite, but I can't sit on my hands. That mount is terrible. You killed an awesome ram and I can tell you put a lot into that hunt, but you sir, deserve better. The bad mount is not your fault, but you need to know about it. I want you to know this not to make you feel bad, but because I feel it is the right thing to do. The horns are tilted way too far back. The eyes don't have the proper tilt angle or cant angle, and they don't have enough clay work. The ear butts are terrible. The ears were not set properly or groomed. The hairlines on the nose are not accurate. The lips are not tucked properly. The brisket is not too bad, but the total ram was not groomed properly and nothing is level or symmetrical. It also looks like the horns were oiled or stained, as they are darker than the kill shot shows.

I don't think it is very polite for me to say all this without some redeeming action, so bear with me and I will try to make it all better. That mount is fresh enough that it can be remounted. I hate to see someone like you get screwed like that, and I hope everyone that reads this will learn a little something. Therefore, If you send me a PM, I will remount that ram for you for free. All we have to do is soak it up, disassemble it, make some repairs, and remount it. It will take about 6-8 more man hours than a normal mount would take, but I will do it for you if you want. I usually do a freebie once a year and I have not done one this past year yet. Send me a PM if you are interested and I will email you a few photos and we can discuss it.

Kotton,

I have to agree a bit with PAcWest. The angle of the horns is what really jumped out at me. They seem to be tilted back way to far and throw off the whole mount. I'd expect a little better from Last Frontier. I have a few pieces from Last Frontier and know Mike can turn out some very good work. I think I would talk to Mike about making some repairs and if not I'd probably take PAcWest up on his offer. That's an awesome sheep and the mount needs to reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    Kotton,

Everyone is going to be polite, but I can't sit on my hands. That mount is terrible. You killed an awesome ram and I can tell you put a lot into that hunt, but you sir, deserve better. The bad mount is not your fault, but you need to know about it. I want you to know this not to make you feel bad, but because I feel it is the right thing to do. The horns are tilted way too far back. The eyes don't have the proper tilt angle or cant angle, and they don't have enough clay work. The ear butts are terrible. The ears were not set properly or groomed. The hairlines on the nose are not accurate. The lips are not tucked properly. The brisket is not too bad, but the total ram was not groomed properly and nothing is level or symmetrical. It also looks like the horns were oiled or stained, as they are darker than the kill shot shows.

I don't think it is very polite for me to say all this without some redeeming action, so bear with me and I will try to make it all better. That mount is fresh enough that it can be remounted. I hate to see someone like you get screwed like that, and I hope everyone that reads this will learn a little something. Therefore, If you send me a PM, I will remount that ram for you for free. All we have to do is soak it up, disassemble it, make some repairs, and remount it. It will take about 6-8 more man hours than a normal mount would take, but I will do it for you if you want. I usually do a freebie once a year and I have not done one this past year yet. Send me a PM if you are interested and I will email you a few photos and we can discuss it.
    thats awsome of you for offering that! props and +1

Kotton,

PAcWest,

thank you for stepping up on this one... I am no expert with taxidermy and know even less about sheep, but my first reaction to this post was that Ram does not look right in many ways. He certainly looks nothing like the picture. Kotton said he looks better in person, so I cruised through the thread the first time.

I did not want to crush Kottons' exitement, but what you did and said was the right way to approach it. He worked hard for that animal and deserves to have it represent the trophy he earned.

Good luck to both of you on this and +1 for stepping up.

I tried to PM him and say similar things but his box is full. Although I don't have the ability to redo it. I noted the tilted back horn though, immediatly.

Hard lesson learned. I have a Sitka Buck thats horrible! I just about had it redone this year but ended up shooting a bigger buck and thought I'd leave it and get my 2011 hog mounted.

Man, I thought the same thing.
    Looks like a Texas domestic sheep with those horns laid like that.

Can't believe a "quality" taxi could let that out the door.

Kotton, you're one of the tougher hunters here that I know of; demand better man. You've earned it!
    Proud to be an American!

agree to all thats been said...but plus one to pacwest on his offer....real class act sir!
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

PacWest, Rep point sent. Lots of class!

+1 for PACWEST. I noticed most of what he said right off the bat. That is a nice sheep and like all sheep you have a lot of time, sweat, work and money spent on that ram. I'd take him up on his offer if I was in your shoes.

Kotton,

Your Taxidermists used the wrong form....looks like he used a moufalon form.

Good thing you didn't take your 2011 sheep to him....

Kotton, take him up on his offer and quick!!!

I completely agree with the others, that's a great ram, but the mount is simply awful. Pacwest made one heck of an offer - wow.

On a side note, I absolutely disagree with the forum rules that don't allow you to give the name of the Taxidermist. Actually, maybe you could because you made no mention of being disapointed.

Anyway, congrats on a great ram.

Sheep are truly one of the greatest trophies there is. The amount of time, sweat, effort and money that goes into bringing one home is very substantial. Most hunters will keep their mount for the rest of their life, to have to look at a mount you are unhappy with for the rest of your life is simply unacceptable to me. Please, hunters do as much research on who you want to mount your trophy as you do figuring out where to go to get one. Quality work is never cheap, a nice euro mount looks so much better than a poorly done hide mount.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

great ram, who did the work?

I would ask for your money back and take it to your 2011 taxi.

Kotton,

Kotton,
    I have to go with Pac on this one. I have a Ram mount that I worked really hard for, but the Taxdermist did a horrible job on. I want to buy a new cape and remount it everytime I look at it. If there was a way I would hol the Taxdermist accountable for the new cape, but I would get someone else to re-mount it for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast