Thread: Nice scope surprise

Default Nice scope surprise

I went out looking for a new scope to put on a 10-22 today and didn't find the one I was looking for but did find a nice surprise. The nice folks at Mtn View Sports suggested I check out the new Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 and I was impressed by the clarity of the glass for the price. It was 1/2 the price I was going to pay for scope I was planning on and I am looking forward to doing some shooting with it. This is not a plug for anything- it is just nice to be surprised by the quality of something I would have overlooked.

BEE

A friend has a limited budget and does a ton of shooting with centerfires - recently he replaced 5 of his scopes with Redfields and absloutely loves them - nothing bigger than a 300 WSM though and I'm dubious of them for my hunting irons - keep us posted on how it holds up on the 10-22 as they "can" be a bit tough on scopes, installing a recoil damper at the rear action pin will help some

I'm hearing good things from several Redfield owners and the price is pretty good for a US scope.

I have a 10/22 I want to scope for the boy- I'm going to seriously consider one.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I cannot say enough good things about the three Redfield Revs I've purchased in the last year. They are excellent scopes for the price.

Aren't these scopes are intended for high power rifles and have the parallex set for a 100 yrds or more? If so then you are going to get significant parallex at the shorter ranges where a .22 is typical used.

Not knocking the scopes - just curious about the intended application on a 10-22.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I went out looking for a new scope to put on a 10-22 today and didn't find the one I was looking for but did find a nice surprise. The nice folks at Mtn View Sports suggested I check out the new Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 and I was impressed by the clarity of the glass for the price. It was 1/2 the price I was going to pay for scope I was planning on and I am looking forward to doing some shooting with it. This is not a plug for anything- it is just nice to be surprised by the quality of something I would have overlooked.

BEE
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I think on a .22 hunting rifle the whole issue of parallax is sort of overblown. I've used centerfire scopes on several .22s without any issues. At rimfire ranges and lower powers the parallax might throw the shot 1/2" off from POA. Hardly significant in the greater scheme...on a centerfire rifle at longer range a short parallax might very well throw the shot off by a wider margin.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have never had a 'rimfire specific' scope on any of my 22's. My last 10-22T had a Leupold fixed 4x and was extremely accurate at 25-75 yards. Once I get out and try it I will let you know if it causes any issues.

As far as scopes I have always been a Leupold guy until I recently looked through (and then purchased) Swaro Z3's to go on a .270 Win and a .325 WSM. As I said I was just very surprised how nice the scope was for what they are priced at- and it is nice that they are made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty. I hope to like it!

Default check it out..

I think most shooters are surprised at how much parallex there is at shorter ranges - say 25 ft- 25 or 50 yds. I certainly was the first time I tried it.

I just checked a Redfield Tracker 2-7X at scope I had laying on my desk. I laid the scope on a chair and focused on the side of a building at around 50 ft. at 6X and moved my head while still looking throught the scope at the crosshairs. The parallex is quite evident - enough to make one miss a head shot on a small animal or bird. Remember on a rifle without a checkpiece like the 10-22 your head position can change significantly.

Don't take my work for it - check it yourself. These is a good reason Leupold and others make scopes specifically for .22 RFs.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I think on a .22 hunting rifle the whole issue of parallax is sort of overblown. I've used centerfire scopes on several .22s without any issues. At rimfire ranges and lower powers the parallax might throw the shot 1/2" off from POA. Hardly significant in the greater scheme...on a centerfire rifle at longer range a short parallax might very well throw the shot off by a wider margin.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Parallax can be an issue in a lot of circumstances, but it effects are magnified with poor shooting form. Proper and consistent head alignment will make it a non issue.

That's not to say parallax set at 60 yards or so is not preferable for most applications in a 22 LR rimfire scope, but it's not essential. I say mount it and shoot it.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post

BEE
    Leupold bought out redfleld last I had heard and that is why they have the same warranty, prolly why they have better glass too.

I've had the same Bushnell 3-9x32 .22mag scope on now my son's .22 WMR by Marlin, semi-auto rifle. It was my sled rifle for trapping/hunting, boat gun for seals during the summer and that thing took a beating. Never was in a rifle case either. And I think it was like $40 from Cabela's, $60 from a dealer in AK. Never let me down 5-150 yards out. Learn to shoot properly with your tools and you'll never miss taking that your tools are in proper working condition.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

don't know for sure but I'd bet that you could send the scope in to Leupold and have the parallax set for closer for little to no $

Default head alignment

Consistent head alignment is much harder with something like a .10/22 where you don't have a checkpiece and the stocks generally have quite bit of drop. In addition you may be shooting from less than an idea position. Why add another potential source of error when you can get a scope with the proper parallex?

I would encourage every shooter to check their scopes for parallex. I've been surprised on a few; even one 1-4X scope had excess parallex at 100 yds. Checking is easy and sometimes well worth the effort.

Again - I'm not critical of the scopes, just questioning if a .22 RF is the proper application for a scope intended for high powered rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Parallax can be an issue in a lot of circumstances, but it effects are magnified with poor shooting form. Proper and consistent head alignment will make it a non issue.

That's not to say parallax set at 60 yards or so is not preferable for most applications in a 22 LR rimfire scope, but it's not essential. I say mount it and shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Consistent head alignment is much harder with something like a .10/22 where you don't have a checkpiece and the stocks generally have quite bit of drop. In addition you may be shooting from less than an idea position. Why add another potential source of error when you can get a scope with the proper parallex?
    I've no dog in this fight, but I presently have two 10/22 rifles that wear traditional center-fire scopes, both have Leupold 3-9x33 mounted (an older compact and a newer Ultralight). One of the rifles is stock except for a recoil buffer swap and the other is heavily modified. The stock rifle is not as accurate, but it shoots better than the guys I let borrow it. If I let them know about the scope they may begin to blame the parallax. If they did, I'd take the rifle from them and display that the scope/rifle/ammo combo is not the issue...

The modified rifle shoots a bit better and I cannot believe that parallax adjustment could not knock off even .25" of its group size at 50 yards considering its 9X setting. I've shot its best groups with an AO target scope, but then with 36X its relatively easy to shade bullet holes and read mirage--decidedly more difficult with the Ultralight, parallax issue or not.

I've never had an issue with cheek weld, but I mount everything pretty low and I'm not everyone. Parallax definitely matters, but I'm unconvinced that on a sporting .22 LR that it contributes much to the party if the shooter has good/decent form. If you're purchasing a scope for a .22 and have an option then a 50-60 yard parallax setting certainly makes sense, but I'd not pass on a scope simply because its parallax is set for 100-150 yards. Obviously YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.