Thread: when should I plant?

Default when should I plant?

I'm kinda new up here I moved to anchorage last January and I need to know when to plant my garden I'm planning to plant potato, green beans, corn, bell pepper, Broccoli, Cabbage, carrot, couliflower, cucumber, garlic, okra, Orion, squash, tomato, and a few type of peppers any info on when to plant should I transplant and if any of these plants will not grow up here thank-you

Feb or early March is when you should get your tomatoes started... unless you are growing them indoors or you have a greenhouse you probably won't have much luck with tomatoes... or cucumbers... I don't know how the bell peppers would do outside.. I've been growing one in a southern facing window for 3 yrs now.. It does nicely altho the peppers are kinda small. I live near Wasilla, and I usually plan on planting everything else directly into the garden about the 3rd week of May... You can get a jump start with Green beans, and peas if you soak them in warm water about 24 hours before planting... otherwise they'll have to absorb the moisture from the soil to get started.. Even if the weather is really nice much earlier, the ground just isn't warm enough for anything to grow much earlier than the 3rd week of May... cauliflower, broccoli, cabbages, etc I cheat and buy the starts that come from local nursery/green houses. You might spend some time reading back through the Garden Forum for some good tips on Gardening in AK...

Quote Originally Posted by cbrehmer View Post
    I'm kinda new up here I moved to anchorage last January and I need to know when to plant my garden I'm planning to plant potato, green beans, corn, bell pepper, Broccoli, Cabbage, carrot, couliflower, cucumber, garlic, okra, Orion, squash, tomato, and a few type of peppers any info on when to plant should I transplant and if any of these plants will not grow up here thank-you
    Your decision to plant should rest on your soil temperature it varies for different cultivers so research will tell you what temps for what plant. If you use methods to speed up you soil temps in the spring make sure you have material for row covers as late frosts are very frequent. Your tomato's and cuc's will do fine provided they are against a wall with direct sun exposure and protection from wind, they need minimum temps to set fruit or else the flowers will wilt without setting.

This forum will pick up quite a bit about february. Read Jeff lowenfels colum at ADN.com on thursdays

Quote Originally Posted by cbrehmer View Post
    Old John pretty much covered it.
    I start my tomatoes in the kitchen window 1st of March.
    Cucs I plant the seeds direct in the Green house soil boxes 1st of April if we have enough warmth by then.
    Start my Brassica I start in the GH , Mid to end of April in the GH, vary starts 2 to 3 weeks apart for different harvest times.
    zuchinni do well here, I start the seeds mid to end of April in the GH, other squash I've tried do OK if we have a warm sunny summer.

Never had much luck with garlic, it grew but never got very big. Never tried okra, but guessing it's not warm enough to grow it outside here.
    Peppers I grow in the GH too. If you start plants, about the same time as tomatoes.
    Try at least one OS Cross cabbage, they get huge
    Everything else seeds in the garden end of May 1st of June, depending on how the weather is & soil temps
    Good luck.
    May go check out some of last springs posts, some good info for folks new to gardening in Alaska.
    Example:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ing-the-garden

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...pdate-picutres

Okay thanks lord of good info here I guess I need to build a greenhouse then thanks to all