Thread: 1895 winchester 30-06 handload

Default 1895 winchester 30-06 handload

i just picked up a new 1895 winchester levergun in 30-06 caliber, and wonder if there is a reloading protocol that need to be followed. not interested in maxing velocity for this fine rifle, it shoots 165's and 180's at about 2700fps w/o a hickup. i have a bunch of military 30-06 ammo that would be fun to shoot........

some have told me that constant pounding with factory velocity ammunition will "shoot the gun loose" and even cause headspace problems. this is new to me and thought to ask an experienced 95 shooter for more information.

also what are your thoughts on action work, sights and recoil pads? thanks!
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    some have told me that constant pounding with factory velocity ammunition will "shoot the gun loose" and even cause headspace problems. this is new to me and thought to ask an experienced 95 shooter for more information.
    That would make me seriously review any other "words of wisdom" from that particular source. It's nonsense.

I'm assuming yours is new production, rather than original. I don't own one, but one of my buds bought one of the first to come out. He shoots it lots, and there's no sign of deterioration or wear many years later. And we're talking thousands of rounds.

He's kind of a nostalgia freek, so he mounted a Marble or Winchester (don't recall which) tang peep on his and shoots 220 grain handloads almost exclusively. Within his comfort zone using open sights, it delivers plenty flat trajectory and great wollop. IIRC he started out using 200 grain Partitions, but ultimately tried 220 grain Remington CoreLokt. They were so good on game he stopped with the Partitions and made several large bulk buys of the Remington from Midway. This was back when they were selling them in lots of 500, 1,000 and 2,000 for not much money, and he put away a lifetime supply for several busy shooters. That ought to tell you a lot about his opinion of the bullet and the life expectancy of the rifle.

hi bb; thanks for the quick reply! my rifle is a new winchester ( my miroku of japan ) 1895, matte finish with some scroll engraving and pretty decent wood. the fore end is schnabel and the buttstock is shotgun design. the checkering is the winchester pattern, and appears to be hand done.

for a stock rifle the trigger is fairly crisp and the action cycles very smoothly. as a leverguy, this rifle is a blast to shoot and is surprisingly accurate with the stock sights.. the front bead is small and allows for fine work.

this is my first 1895 and so appreciate your experience. thanks!
    happy trails.
    jh

Pine, I've got three of the 1895 rifles and have put about 4-500 rounds through each without a singular hiccup. Two rifles have been pushed right up to the max for hunting the whole time. They make this same rifle in .270 Win (same case/case head) and that round has a max pressure of 65,000 PSI. I figure that my other rifles running at "pedestrian" pressures <50,000PSI are likely going to be safe.

Also, I'm pretty keen on keeping the original sights on these rifles and have been able to produce some fine grouping up to 150 yds. One modification that might further improve the precision shooting of the rifles is a "barley-corn" front sight. I've only ever seen these on a .22 Cricket but immediately thought that it could improve my shooting.

BTW, I don't do ballistics for a living...but it doesn't show.

hi iceking02; thanks for the information...it is appreciated! i have seen alaskan guides still using the old "95 and assumed that meant it must be reliable. phil shoemaker and ed stevenson to name two still use this fine old levergun.

you make a great point about .270 pressure, and with that in mind the '06 should be pretty tame. i think it will be fun to try several powder/bullet combinations to find the best one. with several pounds of 4831 on hand, this will be a place to start. the nice thing about this caliber is availability of components. it is still possble to scrounge '06 brass at our local range. after a tumble & polish they are ready to full length resize.

i kind of like reciever sights...but will shoot these standard issue for awhile to see how they work. thanks again!
    happy trails.
    jh

I've got an orginal '95 SRC in .30-03 I've had for years but never hunted with it. The '95 is certainly a fine lever gun in any case.

When I did some research on the gun and caliber I was surprised to find that Winchester made the '95 in .30-03 all the way into the late teens. Apparently the orginal Krag-like .30-03 load was quite popular with hunters and you can also shoot '06 loads in them although the chamber throat is a bit short.

Keep us up to date on your '95 experience.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

tvfinak; thanks for the reply. this rifle has alot of history and has been used by hunters and guides as well as soldiers, and men on both sides of the law. interested in history, the 1895 in 7.62 russian was used in the russian army as well. how about that?
    the arizona rangers preferred the 30-40 krag caliber, and thought it was just about perfect for long range shooting. reletive to sighting equipment at the time...they were right.

so far the only target shot with MY '95 is a full size steel buffalo, and that was really fun! who knows, perhaps there is an elk hunt in this rifles future.
    happy trails.
    jh

Default Russian 95s

Ye Olde Hunter imported a bunch of the surplus 7.62 95s in the early 60s and sold them for $39.95. Don't know who they got them from as we weren't dealing with the Russians in the 60s- they were the evil empire. The Russian jobs were full stocked, bayonet lugs, and had clip guides for loading from stripped clips. These are the only military issue lever actions I can think of. I'll see if I can dig an ad out and post it here.

Back in the 60s when I was bluing guns part time for spending money someone brought one to me in pieces to blue and re-assemble as part of the deal. As I recall there was some wierd deal with a slave pin in re-assembling the gun. Back then we didn't have the internet and U-tube so figuring it out was a bit of a challenge as I still recall.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    tvfinak; thanks for the reply. this rifle has alot of history and has been used by hunters and guides as well as soldiers, and men on both sides of the law. interested in history, the 1895 in 7.62 russian was used in the russian army as well. how about that?
    the arizona rangers preferred the 30-40 krag caliber, and thought it was just about perfect for long range shooting. reletive to sighting equipment at the time...they were right.

so far the only target shot with MY '95 is a full size steel buffalo, and that was really fun! who knows, perhaps there is an elk hunt in this rifles future.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

interesting...about 400,000 were made and russia contracted for nearly 3/4 of them. a bunch were shipped to CUBA when russia wouldn't pay up.

i remember those old gun ads. kliens was also a big retailer, and as i remember used to sell their gun with an nra rating. nra fair-excellent. cool and SO CHEAP at least by today's standards. also 1911's lugers, enfields and lots of springfields. those were the salad days of gun deals!
    happy trails.
    jh

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I dunno about these newer Replicas of the 95 Winchester, maybe they're stronger,

BUT way back when the "originals" were in common use, it was considered common knowledge, that those chambered for 30-06 would/could set the breach block back and create headspace.

The obvious solution would be to use less powerful loads.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.